UKC

Vimeo videos on UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pnorth 11 Dec 2014
Is it just me, or has Vimeo started deliberately reducing the quality of videos so that they jump frames? Thereby making them unwatchable on UKC?
 solomonkey 11 Dec 2014
In reply to pnorth:

I'm not sure about the film quality as vimeo vids won't play on my Samsung phone and some of my friends phones too ! You tube vids work fine - which always makes me think why bother trying to show people your films on ukc if only half of them can watch them ! ?
You tube all the way I say .
In reply to pnorth:

> Is it just me, or has Vimeo started deliberately reducing the quality of videos so that they jump frames? Thereby making them unwatchable on UKC?

It is more likely to be that the quality has increased which is why they are jumping frames. Your system may be defaulting to the higher quality HD setting. If the HD setting in the bottom right is blue then click it so that it is grey to turn off the bigger HD videos.

Alan
In reply to Colza:

> ... which always makes me think why bother trying to show people your films on ukc if only half of them can watch them ! ?

Eh?

We embed videos from all sorts of places on UKC - YouTube, Vimeo, the BMC.

Alan
 Bob 12 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Not related to UKC as such but I find that content streamed from Vimeo is prone to buffering and stuttering problems. It's not an SD/HD problem as I can stream iPlayer and YouTube HD content quite happily.
 henwardian 12 Dec 2014

> It is more likely to be that the quality has increased which is why they are jumping frames. Your system may be defaulting to the higher quality HD setting. If the HD setting in the bottom right is blue then click it so that it is grey to turn off the bigger HD videos.

Agreed. My crappy laptop starts skipping frames, stuttering and generally giving sub-optimum viewing when the video is high res, especially if I've a load of tabs and other things open. It's a hardware limitation, not a software one. (same thing happens for trailers on IMDB).

However I'd also agree that Vimeo has software problems too. On my computer Firefox causes vimeo to introduce a frame from about 10 frames back every 5 frames or so when playing which makes it a flickery nightmare. Chrome solves this problem. So for anyone having problems with vimeo on their phone or whatever, try installing a different browser and see if that solves it.

balmybaldwin 12 Dec 2014
In reply to Bob:

I think vimeo hd is much higher bit rates than youtube so I wouldnt discount it. This is th reason alot of vimeo users give for why they dont use youtube.
 Fraser 12 Dec 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

For uploading decent HD videos, I much prefer Vimeo as I found YouTube had serious compression and interlacing issues.

Also, in terms of its general operational manner & ethos, (and apologies in advance to the present company), Vimeo cf. YouTube is like UKB cf. UKC.

That's me barred now then I guess!
 solomonkey 12 Dec 2014

I should of put , , , do film makers know that every phone seems to plays you tube but not every phone will play vimeo , ie they must want people to watch their films so why vimeo ?? My lap top plays vimeo vids just fine but not my phone
 balmybaldwin 13 Dec 2014
In reply to pnorth:

I guess its much like the problem where facebook videos wont play on my tablet. Im surprised you have trouble with vimeo though... what phone is it?
 Arms Cliff 13 Dec 2014
In reply to Colza:

Vimeo doesn't make you have adverts in your videos.
 solomonkey 13 Dec 2014
In reply to Arms Cliff:

Neither does you tube as I haven't updated to the new version ! All vids advert free !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...