UKC

Injection liners for ski touring boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tnj 11 Dec 2014
Hi,

I have a pair of garmont radiums which I really like but are just a little big for me and I have to crank them down hard to the point of discomfort to get a really Secure fit even with some foam sections glued to the outside. Could injection liners be the answer? I was wondering if they weigh much more than normal liners or if there is a ski tour specific model.
Any advice appreciated!

To
 DaveHK 11 Dec 2014
In reply to tnj:

Intuition do moldable liners in a variety of volumes.
craigloon 11 Dec 2014
In reply to tnj:

Injection liners will be way way too heavy for touring boots. I used to have them in my Alpine boots so I know. Dave's suggestion about Intuition liners is a good one. Or bite the bullet and get new boots that fit! You should be able to defray the cost by selling the Radiums on here.
 kevin stephens 11 Dec 2014
In reply to tnj:

I don't believe there's an easy solution to ski boots that are too big, apart from shelling out for new ones. You crank the boots down tight to enable you to power your skis via the stiffness of the shells, having them looser with injection liners wont give you anything like the same stiffness. One thing that may help reduce the volume a bit and maybe improve your skiing is good custom made foot-beds (if you don't already have them)
OP tnj 13 Dec 2014
In reply to tnj:
Thanks for the advice guys. I will look into the intuitions
MooseMouse 13 Dec 2014
In reply to tnj:

There may be other shops but, Lockwards seemed to be the only place in the country with a variety of liners to try out.

Mrs MooseMouse has an extremely wide forefoot(112mm in a size 4, think of the mythical hairy forest monster for an idea of the size!) and small heels and has struggled with several pairs of touring boots.

Lockwards had a variety of aftermarket liners and fitted a pair that has eliminated her problems.

I phoned just about every other shop, and we already had tried several in Chamonix. Most shops either just would not go near her feet or did not have many types of liner in stock, with only a vague notion of when they could get them in. Most were even very reluctant to sell her a new pair of boots!

The chap in Lockwards was a hero she was in the shop pacing up and down for about 2 hours getting it right.

Ellis Brigham in Aviemore also put a great deal of effort into shaping custom footbeds for her and the lass there seemed very knowledgeable and really into feet!

If your heading in that direction soon, I and several friends have had very good boot modifying service from the sport tech shop in Argientiere as well.
http://www.sportech-argentiere.fr/en/ski-shop-sportech.html

I tried various liners in Denalis that were one(maybe 1.5x) size too big and they just could not control my foot movement, especially when descending on foot.
The end result was lost toe nails and a year of buying new shoes as my toes were too bruised to wear my usual size!
It would have been cheaper to smash the front out of the big boots with a rock before the damage got too bad and then bought new boots!
 Martin W 13 Dec 2014
In reply to kevin stephens:

> I don't believe there's an easy solution to ski boots that are too big, apart from shelling out for new ones.

I agree with Kevin on this point. A friend of mine spent three years suffering on his ski holidays because he'd been sold boots that were too big. The shop assured him that they'd be fine with injection-moulded liners. They weren't. IIRC it was branch of Ellis Brigham that sold them to him.
snowtime 02 Jan 2015
In reply to tnj:

if your boots are way too big then rebuy if just a little power wrap intution liners quite a dense foam, I'm trying some this season, you need to look at your hill & front foot width but intution liners will expand & compress as required & act as a custom foot bed, I dont know how long they last and if over time liners compress. They need baking in an heater/oven so decent ski shop best they could look at your boots to see if your wasting time & money..
 DaveHK 02 Jan 2015
In reply to snowtime:

> if your boots are way too big then rebuy if just a little power wrap intution liners quite a dense foam,

Can I ask where you got these? I'm having some issues getting them from somewhere that can also fit them.
In reply to DaveHK:

Check out Telemark Pyrenees, Barrabes, Sport Conrad, etc.
You can mould the inners yourself with a little care and patience following this link: http://www.yyzcanuck.com/E_tech_cooking.htm
 IainMacG 14 Jan 2015
In reply to tnj:

Apologies if others already covered but as someone with pretty low volume skinny feet I've been a long time sufferer in cranked tight skiboots! I have injection moulded inners in my downhill/freeride boots but doesn't work for touring
Key points on injection liners (as I understand them from my research):
* heavy - compared to touring liners
* not as warm (although cranked boots which cut off circulation are NOT very warm in my extensive experience!)
* not flexible - the movement when skinning/walking will destroy the injection foam I believe - they are not designed for that...
In conclusion as others said, go for an intuition mouldable liner or similar (provided boots not too big).
I even have a mondo 30.0 liner (left over after injection) if that happens to be your size!
 Dark-Cloud 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Wynne-Jones:

Its easier than that and less risky if you follow the guide on the Intuition site:

https://intuitionliners.com/fitting/home-fitting-instructions/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...