UKC

anyone been skiing yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell 12 Dec 2014
I'm thinking of digging out the boards and giving it a whirl this weekend. Good idea?

If in doubt I tend to skin up Cairn Gorm and swishy-swoosh down again, possibly via Sron a Cha-No. But I'm open to route-card suggestions
Removed User 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Had a good afternoon Ski mountaineering on Ben Rinnes on Saturday 13th December, lots of snow low down but a bit patchy
higher up due to the wind.
Hopefully the temperatures will drop again as it looks like the snow has suffered a bit this week due to the milder weather.
Next trip out on skis will be after Christmas and will try to reach the Cairngorm plateau.
 TobyA 18 Dec 2014

There have been some beautiful pics on the British Backcountry Facebook group - some folk were skiing down into the tree in Glenmore area and I think to a bothy. It looked far more like Norway than the UK.
 Trangia 18 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

>- some folk were skiing down into the tree

Painfull......

Sorry couldn't resist it!
 yorkshireman 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Scotland seems to be having better snow than here in the Alps. I'm fairly low down (1200m) and am still running each morning in the forest when I should be XC skiing by now - the commune have put all the signs out for the nordic trails but there's nothing to ski on.

We had 4 days of constant snow a couple of weeks back, but it was accompanied by such high winds that it didn't have chance to settle and consolidate, and the temperatures have been high again.

Even the bigger/higher resorts are having to rethink opening this weekend in many cases.

Our local village ski station (and the restaurant attached to it) is going to be on its knees if things don't improve soon.
 Pete Houghton 18 Dec 2014
In reply to yorkshireman:

Snowed in Chamonix yesterday, turned into drizzle as we were skinning up Le Tour at 0830 this morning. It wasn't perfect, but it's the best skiing I've had since July!
 Jim Hamilton 18 Dec 2014
In reply to yorkshireman:

Not good in Le Grand Massif:-

http://winter.grand-massif.com/news/actu-noelEN2014
 DaveHK 18 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> There have been some beautiful pics on the British Backcountry Facebook group - some folk were skiing down into the tree in Glenmore area and I think to a bothy. It looked far more like Norway than the UK.

It was Ryvoan and the slopes above it although most of the will be gone now.
crisp 18 Dec 2014
Went skiing last weekend at Sonnenalpe Nassfeld in Austria. Limited number of pistes open, such a change from last year.
 Cuthbert 18 Dec 2014

I have been out for 6 days now. 1 days touring at Drumochter, 1 day piste at Cairn Gorm (excellent) and 4 days piste at Cairn Gorm on a course. I will also be there tomorrow.

It is not worth driving a long distance to skin up Cairn Gorm. It may be that there is more snow tonight though.

The skiing on the pistes that are open is very good though. Traverse, 105, Coire Cas and road to car park which is very thin now.

The snow on Meall a' Bhuachaille (IBSC trip as Toby says) has pretty much all gone now (skiing wise).
 Cuthbert 18 Dec 2014

PS if you want to get your appetite whetted... http://www.ibsc.org.uk/blog/59-meall-a-bhuachaille-13th-december-2014
 Cuthbert 19 Dec 2014

Ok so I was out again at Cairn Gorm today. The snow is superb and much more of it. The piste is a lot better than off piste and snow lovely, deep and enjoyable on the Cas, 105 and Gun Barrel.
 jcw 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Pete Houghton: what do you mean by snowed in? (:-

Tim Chappell 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Cuthbert:

I've had 3 days skiing already this season, 2 at the Shee* and one touring on the Drumochter plateau. Here we go!

* I only call it that to annoy grumpy purists
 TobyA 29 Dec 2014

Skied in the park in Sheffield yesterday evening. My funny plastic skis were running rather well. Lots of exercise ski back up again after each run!
 yorkshireman 29 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Well as you probably saw on the news, the huge dump the Alps have been waiting for finally came at the weekend. We went from bare rock/grass to 50cm solid base in 48 hours. With the huge amount of fresh and high winds you take your life in your hands venturing off piste right now though.

I did a 6km XC ski loop in our local forests with the dog this morning - was around -10 and the first time I'd been out this year so wasn't the best. I plan to do a longer run tomorrow with the skating skis (wasn't sure of the state of the trails so stuck to classic today, but they're perfect right now).

Our lift-served pistes are open now but I need to work for the next two days (torture as I can see people being dragged up the lifts from my office window) - the weather should be better on NYE (still really cold, but clear and sunny) so looking forward to some skiing.

May drive over to Superdévoluy (100km of pistes) on NY day depending on the hangover to do some actual snowboarding (our pistes are only drag lifts, so prefer skiing them).
 Sophie G. 29 Dec 2014
Looks like Cairn Gorm is mobbed senseless today--they've suspended ticket sales. I thought that wd happen, what with Glen Shee being closed.

And we have this flash of genius from the Lecht's webpage:

"Due to unexpected high demand there is Very Limited Ski Hire Stock Left"

*Unexpected* high demand?

UNEXPECTED high demand???

Post edited at 12:25
 aldo56 29 Dec 2014

We had a delightful day at Glencoe yesterday; hardly a cloud in the sky and the slopes were even realtively quiet! Snow was decent enough, a tad icy in places.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...