UKC

If you could play just one instrument and one tune?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 12 Dec 2014
I wish I could play the guitar, there is nothing stopping me except that I know that if I dive in it'll be something that takes up far far too much of my time (like climbing) I simply haven't got the time at the moment. Learning to play is something I've always wanted to do but for now I've put it on top of the virtual wardrobe until I've retired (like the classic rock ticks in far flung parts of scotchland)

So, just one for now then, sit back and relax while I play the guitar solo of Pink Floyds 'Time'

Come on, don't be shy - its UKC's open mic night
 AdrianC 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I'd play the theme tune to Ivor the Engine on the bassoon.

spartacus 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:
Another Pink Floyd vote, 'comfortably Numb'.

Skol 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:
I would have a banjo, and play 'Dualling Banjos' when interbreds got on my bus in the local 'hick' villages
abseil 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Penny whistle

Beethoven's Fifth
 Morty 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Ride of the Valkyries on the theremin.
abseil 12 Dec 2014
In reply to Skol:

> ...interbreds got on my bus in the local 'hick' villages

Do you mean Liverpool?

THIS IS A JOKE. I have tremendous respect for the fine upstanding advanced cultural aspects of all of Liverpool life. I want my ashes chucked in the Albert Dock. Oh, to be there now!!!
 Skol 12 Dec 2014
In reply to abseil:

> Do you mean Liverpool?

> THIS IS A JOKE. I have tremendous respect for the fine upstanding advanced cultural aspects of all of Liverpool life. I want my ashes chucked in the Albert Dock. Oh, to be there now!!!

No, not Liverpool
The city is the culture capital of the north west , don't you know? They have the Beatles museum, and The Beatles memerobilia shop . If I had to play an instrument, and a Beatles song, I would chuck it in the Albert Dock
 Clarence 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

It is my life's ambition to play the Captain Pugwash tune on a concertina or The Navy Lark theme on a harmonica. If I had to choose one it would have to be Pugwash.
 DaveHK 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

The piano part of Handbags and Gladrags.

I intend to learn this once I've retired.
 Bulls Crack 12 Dec 2014
In reply to Aztec Bar:

> Another Pink Floyd vote, 'comfortably Numb'.

What he (I'm presuming) said
 Ann S 12 Dec 2014
 Albert Tatlock 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Bugle - last post / post horn gallop
 angry pirate 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

It would have to be the Doctor Who theme on bagpipes.
 Yanis Nayu 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Saxophone and Baker Street
 Yanis Nayu 12 Dec 2014
In reply to Morty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thing_(listening_device)

From the inventor of the theremin - it's a great story!
 Clarence 12 Dec 2014
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

> Bugle - last post / post horn gallop

I used to play both of them in a brass band, playing the post horn brightened up an otherwise dull evening playing umchucks on first horn.
In reply to wilkie14c:

It doesn't take too much time. I try to practice saxophone for half an hour every day. A 1-2 hour practice once a week if I'm feeling particularly keen. The trick is to keep motivated to pick up the instrument every single day.

In answer to your OP, I would have said "In the Hall of the Mountain King" but I learned it last week. =D Probably now one of the Supertramp sax solos. Or maybe Down in Mexico by The Coasters.
 ThunderCat 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Mate, I bought a guitar....christ...22 years ago. I've never had any professional lessons, I spend a couple of weeks plucking a few chords out of it, then put it down for a little bit, then pick it up again. Sometimes months go by without picking it up (sometimes years).

I'm terrible. I've got fat fingers, no ear for music, I can't read music (can manage with tablature). I spend so much time between getting it down off the shelf that I lose all the calluses off my fingers and have to start the hardening process off from scratch

But there are a couple of tunes I can pick a few notes out of and string a few chords together and I love it.

I can handle the opening into to Alive by Pearl Jam (in fact there's a few pearl jam songs I can pick a few sections out of, like Jeremy, release. I can do a few metallica bits (I can do a mean Enter the Sandman). I can almost do the opening of PF wish you were here.

I did all of this on an accoustic, and then I had a go on an electric and when I tried the enter the sandman intro, it sounded so awesome (to me at least), I couldn't get the smile off my face..

So screw it - as long you enjoy yourself...

I wish I had the opportunity to maybe get together with other people as rubbish as me to develop a little bit. It would be quite fun.
 marsbar 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Sax and Lily was here or drums.
 gribble 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I've just started learning keyboard in support of my somewhat more talented 7 year old. If someone could give me a tune to aim for I would be most grateful. Please keep it very simple and satisfying!
 The Potato 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

tin whistle - over the hills and far away (sharpe theme tune)
Lusk 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

It's got to be Voodoo Child (Slight Return) like the man himself.
Impossible I know!
 tistimetogo 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Voodoo Child on the banjo.
 aln 12 Dec 2014
 Oldsign 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I've been trying to nail the twelfth street rag on the ukulele for yonks. Never can quite get it up to full speed
 Skipinder 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

The Liebestod on a xylophone
 Bluebird 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

piano - Georgia on my Mind... nuff said.
oh and maybe anything by Bill Evans
 birdie num num 12 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Mrs Num Num likes me to strum her pain with my fingers. (ish)
In reply to wilkie14c:

Oh man, I've had an obsession with playing this;

youtube.com/watch?v=0tLsFsGxLmE&

for many years.

Can't though!!
 aln 12 Dec 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Oh man, I've had an obsession with playing this;

> for many years.

That's an admirable goal. Doing your bit in the fight against insomnia.
 teflonpete 13 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Iron Maiden's 'The Trooper' on a ukulele.
 Ann S 13 Dec 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Love that tune. I can occasionally be heard belting it out in my tuneless voice.

"King George commands and we obey,
Over the hills and far away"

Tom Valentine 13 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I was allowed a go on a bloke's hurdy gurdy last year and it was a memorable couple of minutes. As he showed, the instrument is made for tunes like Bolero, but I'd like to have a crack at "Women of Ireland"
 Tom Last 13 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Violin - Blue Bonnets Over the Border
 Tom Last 13 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Seriously though mate, pick up a guitar and learn it. They're low key, so you can be as crap as you like for as long as you want without disturbing the neighbors. Or, on the other hand, you could get half decent within a year just practicing whenever you have a spare moment; it's not like climbing when you need a whole day, half an hour here and there will suffice.
 Trangia 13 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Guitar

Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez"
OP wilkie14c 13 Dec 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:
> (In reply to wilkie14c)
>
> I was allowed a go on a bloke's hurdy gurdy

That just don't sound right

Dax H 13 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

5 string banjo.
Earls breakdown
 John Ww 13 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I was playing the rhythm part in the pub on Wednesday night - if you learn the lead part, we've got it cracked!

JW
 John Ww 13 Dec 2014
In reply to gribble:

Pachelbel, Canon in D major will be my target, I'll be having piano lessons once I've retired - IN SIX DAYS TIME!!

JW
 Jimbo C 13 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

It would be easy to say the guitar, which i love playing. But if allowed only one instrument and one tune it would be a grand piano and Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata
andymac 13 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Apart from a huge variety of songs on the guitar ,it would have to be;

Accordion - Kate Martyn's Waltz (Blair Douglas).

I would possibly give a body part to be able to stand in front of an audience and play a tune as beautiful as that.

To hear Blair Douglas play that up close must be hairs up on end awesome.
 Mark Morris 13 Dec 2014
In reply to Ann S:

Its really easy to learn, a night out playing songs with that lot would be fantastic.
 Ann S 13 Dec 2014
In reply to Mark Morris:

Strongly tempted to because there is a uke group meets on Wednesday nights in a town centre pub.

Glyno 13 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I'm going to practice playing 'London's Burning' on the recorder this evening while Mrs Glyno watches The X Factor
 Mark Morris 13 Dec 2014
In reply to Ann S:

Try a Baton Rouge V2 Sun. Once the strings settle in its a great sounding instrument. Not too expensive, but not a toy either.
 Ann S 13 Dec 2014
In reply to Mark Morris:

Thanks Mark. Will make note of that.
Flatus Vetus 13 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Yes, We Have No Bananas on the pianola.
OP wilkie14c 14 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Would never have guess at such a diversity, no 2 answers the same
 Tom Valentine 14 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

He made me sit down first....
Removed User 14 Dec 2014
In reply to John Ww:

don't mean to piss on your chips, but you will need four hands to play that.
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> don't mean to piss on your chips, but you will need four hands to play that.

There are perfectly good piano versions (i.e. for two hands) available. You can even download the sheet music for free here:
http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=27608
 John Ww 14 Dec 2014

Err, no you don't - either that or our music teacher at school has a very odd physical (dis)ability!

JW
Removed User 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
As you say Gordon, that is a perfectly good version, but is what it is-a version. What it is not is the actual full score as originally composed-http://imslp.org/wiki/Canon_and_Gigue_in_D_major_(Pachelbel,_Johann)
Post edited at 10:03
 Morty 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Malcolm Tucker's Sweary Aunt
It hung there for SEVEN years! Brilliant.

Sure. Agreed. But nor is the original for four hands either.
In reply to wilkie14c:
'59 Gibson Les Paul Sunburst, 'The Rover' off Led Zeppelin's 'Physical Graffitti'. Doesn't sound right on my 335.
Post edited at 11:30
Removed User 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

true, but my point is that there are four independent lines and that this is not possible to replicate with 2 hands (unless your name happens to be Stanley Jordan)
 Yanis Nayu 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Morty:

I was curious when I read that the Theremin was invented by a Russian called Theremin, which puzzled me as there is no "th" in Russian, so I investigated and found that little gem)
 Alyson 14 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c: I can play the clarinet but not well at all. I'd love to be able to play the wonderful opening of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.
 Durkules 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Jimbo C:

Exactly my thoughts, Moonlight Sonata (especially the 3rd movement).
 pec 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Jimbo C:

> if allowed only one instrument and one tune it would be a grand piano and Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata >

Yes, I'd choose the 3rd movement of the Moonlight as my ultimate musical ambition.
I know a guy who is a concert pianist and told him that once. His response was to say "you've just got to work on those arpeggios and it all comes together really" as if that was was all there was to it. He's never heard me play.

KellyKettle 14 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I can, if pushed to play violin and viola, and on the violin would dearly love to play August Wilhelmj's arrangment of J.S.Bach's ’Air' noted for using only the g-string of a violin.

If singing as you play doesn't count as a second instrument "portrait of my wife" by seth lakeman might tempt me also.

However... I would trade my string playing for the Northumbrian Smallpipes any day.
cb294 15 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:
Started playing the piano again after thirty odd years. My dream is eventually to play the first Contrapunctus of Bach´s Art of Fugue set for piano. I can already do the first quarter or so single handed, so i might even make it if my family doesn´t kill me before.

One instrument - one piece has to be the Art of Fugue on a full blown church organ.

CB
In reply to wilkie14c:

Maggot brain by funkadelic on the gazoo
In reply to wilkie14c:

I'm also pondering the possibility of playing Iron Madiens can I play with madness on the chime bar followed by John Coltranes a love supreme on the recorder.
 loose overhang 15 Dec 2014
In reply to John Ww:

"once I've retired - IN SIX DAYS TIME!!" Have you got the piano yet?

I retired a year ago and about six months before that I bought an acoustic guitar. Like the OP, finding time to practise before retirement might have been a bit of a problem, but now I find that the more I play --- the more I play. Some days I'll practise for up to four hours in 1/2 hour or so segments.

The best part is that there's so much good instruction on-line, and I have found some of my favourite songs to play along with. After a couple of months with the acoustic, I got a Telecaster Thinline which works even better for playing along with on-line videos. I plug the guitar into a modeling amp, along with the laptop via a USB cable and headphones and I'm jamming along with whichever band I want to. I also built a tube amp and a 2 x 12" speaker cabinet from old kitchen cabinet doors. Retirement is fun.

Next big step is to find a group of jam pals and then onto the live and local open-mike sessions.

As for which piece of music is my ambition? That changes. I find something to learn, get okay at playing it, then I move onto something more challenging. Some songs I have learned the basic chords for and then go back to try a fancier version. One of these is Folsom Prison Blues which has a well-known lead guitar part played by Luther Perkins.

Good times ahead for your retirement.

Jim C 15 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:
Albatross.
On a guitar.
Post edited at 22:31
 John Ww 16 Dec 2014
In reply to loose overhang:

Thanks for the good wishes. I've got a nice little Roland synth ready and waiting, plus my guitar collection and a digital four track recorder. I already play in a pub once a week, and as you say, it's easy to lose a couple of hours just noodling around working stuff out, playing in different keys and so on. In short - bring it on!

JW
 jcw 16 Dec 2014
In reply to gribble:
Chopsticks
 John Ww 16 Dec 2014
In reply to jcw:

> Chopsticks

So that's your instrument chosen, but which tune would you like to play with them?

JW

jcw 16 Dec 2014
In reply to John Ww: the Ying-Tong song

In reply to wilkie14c:

The Last Post on the bugle

Be really handy for impressing girls if I ever got invited to a BBQ on remembrance day. Obviously it would have to fall on a weekend, and the weather would probably have to be unseasonably good.....but it's not impossible.
 paul mitchell 16 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

A huge cathedral organ,Bach's Toccata and Fugue;massively thuggish.

Mitch
 BusyLizzie 16 Dec 2014
In reply to paul mitchell:

> ,Bach's Toccata and Fugue;massively thuggish.

>

Yes yes yes - I can play that, and it is the only time I get to be truly thuggish

> A huge cathedral organ,Bach's Toccata and Fugue;massively thuggish.

That's long been a fantasy of mine.
On the piano: any of Beethoven's last three piano sonatas. I can play quite big bits of most of them quite badly

jcw 16 Dec 2014

Yes, but it is not a tune as per OP
 RockAngel 16 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:
I can play good king Wenceslas on the recorder. That's about as far as my musical talents go
 Dave Garnett 16 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I've been failing to really get grips with Black Dog for most of my life but I haven't completely given up being able to get a lot closer without paranormal assistance when I have more time.

Vincent Black Lightning 1952, though, would definitely require divine intervention.
Removed User 16 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:
'Will you' the sax bit, the vocalist Shinade O'Conner.

jon 16 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:
> If you could play just one instrument and one tune?

Ah my bloody neighbour does this. She's a pianist but she had a stroke about nine months ago and now she plays the only piece that she can remember. Every day.
Post edited at 20:12
 Babika 16 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Had to scroll through 70 replies to find out that I'm the second vote for the saxophone and Baker Street.

Dave Garnett 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Removed Userclaire14:
> (In reply to Removed Userwilkie14c)
> 'Will you' the sax bit, the vocalist Shinade O'Conner.

Hazel O'Connor I think, but yes, I did think of this as the non-guitar option. It would be so cool to just pick up a sax and amaze everyone by being able to do this.
 John Ww 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Step up Mr. Wesley Magoogan (wish I could remember useful things rather than useless trivia).

JW
 John Ww 16 Dec 2014
In reply to jon:

Should give you plenty of opportunity to learn it off by heart and join her in a rehabilitating duet then.

JW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...