UKC

Morning sun Sheffield area Grit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 12 Dec 2014
I have tomorrow morning to do some climbing, it will probably come down to soloing as many low grade routes as I can before having to get the car back to the missus at lunchtime. Forecast is for sunshine and frost - but which crags near to Sheffield get morning sun? I think of most of the Eastern Edges as facing W but I guess there must be some that have a southerly or even SErly aspect?
 JayK 12 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

West Side Story
 JLS 12 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Apparent North is good for a bit of bouldering / soloing but I guess the wind chill might be intolerable.
 PLM 12 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

There is snow up at Stanage (and a lot of wind) , and Burbage North was feeling damp today for routes, might be best picking out individual boulder problems rather than trying to get loads of routes done.
OP TobyA 12 Dec 2014
In reply to all:

Cheers all. While going to work on Tuesday I could see over the city from Manor Top to something very white off in the distance but I presumed it was Bleaklow or Kinder. The moors closer in didn't look white at all back then, so interesting to hear there's a bit snow up there now. I take it it's just a dusting?
 Bulls Crack 12 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Rivlen?
 JayK 12 Dec 2014
In reply to PLM:

How much snow up at stanage? Bugger. Is the road a no go area at the moment?
 deepsoup 13 Dec 2014
In reply to PLM:
> There is snow up at Stanage
Form an orderly queue for the Downfall then?
 deepsoup 13 Dec 2014
In reply to JimmyKay:
Just a very light dusting, roads are fine.
 robert-hutton 13 Dec 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

Can I say the roads aren't fine Ringinglow road is like an ice rink
 LakesWinter 13 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:
Rivelin faces south, cur bar boulders get sun early, as does mother cap

Post edited at 09:21
 Iain Thow 13 Dec 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

Minor roads are pretty icy but the main ones are ok. Much more snow as you go west, plenty up at Rushop. The streams on the north side of Kinder might be worth a look, there's been snow up there since monday and it was pretty nippy last night. Still -1C at 400m at 9am in the sun, and Mam Tor is snowed up. An axe might be more use than a bouldering mat.
OP TobyA 13 Dec 2014
In reply to LakesWinter:

Yep, went to Rivelin for a quick visit this morning. It was lovely! Rock perfectly warm in the sun and not much problem with dampness. The sun was fully on the crag, perfect blue skies, even some snow sprinkled hills visible across the valley to make a great view.

Thanks to the team from Stafford who looked after my guidebook that I left behind. Fortunately I wasn't so far away after taking my wife to work early in the afternoon, so was able to go back and jog up to the crag to recover it.
 deepsoup 13 Dec 2014
In reply to robert-hutton:

Yeah, fair point, perhaps I should have said roads are ok (with a bit of care).

There was a little dead eurobox lying upside down at the side of the road on the twisty bit of the A57 near the Snake Inn last night. Though that's not a particularly unusual sight year-round.
 deepsoup 13 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:
Yep. Did seem like a beautiful day today. (As I was looking out at it, at work, dammit.) Fabulous grit weather for folks less nesh than me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...