UKC

Christmas crack Stanage, anyone this year?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 12 Dec 2014
Weather is the only thing to spoil it this year but for the first time ever I'm actually going to manage to get it done! Driving from Blackpool to Derby I'm going to go via the Peak and get this done, I'm relying on a belay if anyone else is up there. I'm happy to tie on and second after a party have climbed it and can brib by way of Highland Park!

always wanted to do it on the baby jebus birthday and this year I can, who else is playing? Who else has in the past? Was it a good crack (pun intended)
 deepsoup 13 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Don't know yet whether I'll be heading dahn sarf or staying put in Sheff. If I end up staying in Sheff I'd probably be up for coming out and holding your rope.
OP wilkie14c 13 Dec 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

Hey that'd be good to catch up! If its good weather I'm guessing there'll be a few folk coming and going through the day. I'm setting off from Blackpool around 10, need to be in Derby for 3 so 5 hours for a 3 hour drive (via Peak) should leave us a 2 hour hole to nip up and have some lunch and tick route. No turkey for us this year but not at all bothered
 Serena Lambre 21 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I'm planning to be there.
I'd been told there would be a queue there on Christmas Day, so if it's just the two of us I'll be sorely disappointed!
(No offence.)

What time do you reckon you'll hit Stanage?
 migs493 21 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I tried to climb the route in 2009, I think. Despite it being very snowy the route was very busy. I didn't climb it in the end but did a route to the right. Ended up getting stuck in the Burbage car park and was late for Christmas dinner, Oops!
 gribble 21 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

The weather forecast is looking good for Christmas day at the moment. Should be a fine ay out!
OP wilkie14c 21 Dec 2014
In reply to Serena Lambre:

I recon we'll hit the crag for 12 - 12.30. I'm gonna be really cheeky and just bring harness and shoes, I'm hoping I can tag a rope off someone. Haven't got much time so popping up, climb route and then onwards with our journey. I'll have a bottle of Highland Park with me though
 Serena Lambre 21 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Okay, I have a rope and about 30 nuts, but I don't actually own any cams.
I kind of thought there would be loads of people there so it would be okay.

Anyone else going there with some gear?!
 deepsoup 21 Dec 2014
> I kind of thought there would be loads of people there so it would be okay.

You're probably right about that.

If the weather is half decent I'll most likely pop along (with a rack & rope).
 deacondeacon 21 Dec 2014
If it's not blowing a gale or torrential rain I'll be having a wander over. More than likely soloing though, but happy to get retro if someone needs a belay.
 ralphio 21 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Me and one other will he down around that area. Weather looks like it's going to be ok...
 eschaton 21 Dec 2014
In reply to ralphio:

I was hoping to drive across from Todmorden, been wanting to do it for several years now and hope the weather holds out to make the journey worthwhile. Do people meet up for a drink afterwards?
In reply to wilkie14c:

Heading over in the morning to drag my little brother up Christmas Crack, should be fun! =o)
 deepsoup 22 Dec 2014
In reply to eschaton:
> Do people meet up for a drink afterwards?

I don't know but it seems a bit unlikely. Like Wilkie, I guess most will be heading of for family dinners and wotnot.
OP wilkie14c 22 Dec 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

Yea, no pub for me this year sadly, I'll have a nip up at the crag but can't drink as I'll be driving and have the folks in Derby waiting for me. They think I'm a nutcase for going climbing as it is :-D
 Michael Hood 22 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c: forcast is looking good so there might be quite a queue.

Rich0777 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Michael Hood:

… I'm assuming that's the Christmas Crack on Froggatt everyone is talking of doing on the 25th?
OP wilkie14c 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Richard Wheeldon:

Tremadog
 monkeyme2 23 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I might nip over to nip up it. Will bring rack and ropes and happy to belay anyone up it. And if there was a wee dram of Highland park going begging at the top

The Pylon King 23 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Christ was born in June apparently.
OP wilkie14c 23 Dec 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

everyone know Christ was actually born in Lancashire
In reply to wilkie14c:

But what has he ever done on grit?
 deepsoup 23 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:
> everyone know Christ was actually born in Lancashire

Oh right. So the three wise men from the East were Yorkshiremen?
 planetmarshall 23 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Might make it out if I can escape the usual obligations. Seems a shame to waste a good forecast.

Andrew.
In reply to wilkie14c:

I've done it on Christmas Day a few years ago, will be joining the queue again this year! =o)
abseil 23 Dec 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

> Oh right. So the three wise men from the East were Yorkshiremen?

No. They came from the east as quoted. BUT they got stuck on the M62 and were a bit late.
 Climber_Bill 23 Dec 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

> Oh right. So the three wise men from the East were Yorkshiremen?

That's funny, I like that. And I am from Scarborough, which is Yorkshire and fairly East!
OP wilkie14c 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Richard White:

I bet the Virgin Mary didn't come from Leeds tha noss
OP wilkie14c 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Richard White:

Forecast at the moment is ok, wind and rain moving south over the night of Christmas Eve and early part of Christmas Day, the wind should dry it quickly. Turning real cold boxing night onwards.
In reply to wilkie14c:

We will be there at whatever looks like best weather window. Happy to belay if you need. I'll be the reindeer and my climbing partner is going for Doc Brown from back to the future this year...
 TobyA 24 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Just back from soloing some routes at Burbage. Pretty brutal weather including heavy snow and hail showers as I left! Hope its better for all the Stanage visitors tomorrow. Happy Xmas all!
OP wilkie14c 24 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

its looking ok-ish dinner onwards Toby, even if its a tip I'll have a wander up and have a picnic anyway I guess. looking forward to bumping into Doc Brown to be honest, I've a flux capacitator that needs recalibrating

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...