UKC

How do you spice up baked beans on toast?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 farmer 12 Dec 2014
What's the best way to spice up beans on toast? .My best effort is topped with grated cheddar and Worcestershire sauce,what's yours?
 aln 12 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

Instant. Tabasco, Encona etc. Herbs.
Quick. Fry peppers onion garlic, add the above.
 Oldsign 12 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

Pimentón ahumado and cheese.
 hokkyokusei 12 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

Copious amounts of black pepper and cumin.
 The Potato 12 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

cayenne pepper, mayo, well it works when im drunk anyway.
In reply to farmer:

Beans on toast is as good as it'll ever be. Stop trying to adulterate it.
 loose overhang 13 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

Double the butter on the toast.

If you have to though -- HP sauce.

I remember egg and beans on toast at a caff in Baslow back in 1971. Twas the best. I think I climbed something at Curbar that day.
 Yanis Nayu 13 Dec 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> Copious amounts of black pepper and cumin.

No one's putting cum in my beans on toast.
In reply to farmer:

Harissa.
 timjones 13 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

> What's the best way to spice up beans on toast? .My best effort is topped with grated cheddar and Worcestershire sauce,what's yours?

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear
 marsbar 13 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

A good splash of whisky in the beans.
 goose299 13 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

This but with added smoky bacon
 neilh 13 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

HP brown sauce
 Clarence 13 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

A good shaving of coconut cream, raisins, mango chutney and a spoon of pataks curry paste, served on a toasted naan.
 BAdhoc 13 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

With crispy bacon and strong cheese. Maybe a few chilli flakes.
 LeeWood 13 Dec 2014
In reply to Malcolm Tucker's Sweary Aunt:

to the pub !!
 BnB 13 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

With a good whipping
 Grey area 13 Dec 2014
In reply:

Cheese and an oxo cube crumbled over.
climbingnoob 13 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

I put dry chilli seeds or chilli flakes in it. Encona/chilli sauces kind of screws up the taste of the beans so I don't put these in. If you're feeling adventurous you can even 'currify' the beans by doing this:

1.5 table spoons of oil in a pot. Open the can of beans and chop 3/4 to 1 fresh green chilli into it in small pieces. Then when ready turn on pot with oil in it. Let oil heat up and add about half a table spoon of black mustard seeds. Wait for popping to stop, turn down the gas/electric hob and put in cumin seeds into the oil. Straight away, add the beans with green chillis into the pot and stir. Add about a 1.5 teaspoons of tumeric and a bit of salt and stir. Then turn up the gas and let it cook for about 3-4 min. Add a bit of water to make it less dry. Now add about 3/4 of a tablespoon of ground coriander and cumin powder. Stir in for a minute and serve.

Sounds more complicated than it is, but it's really nice
In reply to farmer:

Engevita yeast flakes
 AlisonSmiles 13 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

Flash fry a few chunks of chorizo in the pan before adding the beans. If you're feeling wild, add garlic too.
 Dauphin 13 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

Fried mushrooms, onions, soy sauce mixed into beans. Couple of dashes of encona to taste.

D
In reply to farmer:

Half a dozen senna pods.
 DDDD 13 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

Tomato on beans on grilled cheese on toast
Flatus Vetus 13 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

Just add 2xbacon, 2xsausage, black pudding, tomatoes tinned and fresh, mushrooms, Ulster Fry, fried bread and lashings of tea.
In reply to

Best thread on UKC for quite a while.
OP farmer 13 Dec 2014
In reply to climbingnoob:

Thanks will be trying this and a few others-think I will give the senna pods a miss though!!!
 wilkie14c 14 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

I'm glad this isn't in the culture bunker. This is nothing cultured about baked beans.

Oh by the way, dip crumpets in whisked egg and grill until cooked, mix a bit of brown sauce in your beans and top the crumpets with them. Oh yes.
In reply to wilkie14c:
Marmite on the toast
 3leggeddog 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Stephen R Young:

Fry a large onion,add a tin of tuna and a dollop of pataks paste. Fry for a bit the chuck the beans on. Add a fresh chilli for taste or if you have a cold. Comfort food staple in our house.
 Lurking Dave 14 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

Teaspoon of toased sesame oil, heat, add teaspoon of cumin seeds, wait 30 seconds. Add beans, heat through. Serve.

LD
Lusk 14 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Oh by the way, dip crumpets in whisked egg and grill until cooked, mix a bit of brown sauce in your beans and top the crumpets with them. Oh yes.

I'm trying that tomorrow!

I might try the Scottish version, two crumpets soaked in brown sauce with a soft fried egg between, battered and deep fried, with chips.
 Sharp 15 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

Whatever you do with your beans don't forget to triple cheese and triple butter it. Cheese in the beans, on the top then under the grill to melt it then on the top again but not melted. Butter on the toast, in the beans and then a wee dab on top. If you're hardcore you can go quad core on the butter and butter your plate as well...but it's not for everyone.

The joy of beans is that almost any other ingredient will make them better, but don't forget to triple cheese it. Along with the usual paprika, cayenne, chilli poweder and garlic it's worth keeping onion salt, celery salt, garlic powder and oregano for that authentic packet food taste and if you can get hold of some msg all the better (usually sold as umami powder in asian food shops).

If you're looking for healthy then med veg (peppers, onion, courgette etc) fried up with garlic and perhaps some bacon or a sausage makes a tasty meal...but don't forget to triple cheese it and some extra butter to make up for the vegetables.
In reply to farmer:

Cheese instead of butter
 Bulls Crack 15 Dec 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Yep I agree. If you want spicy beans start with raw ingredients rather than Heinz.
 Babika 15 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

Just dried parsley added for me
 Jimmy Hyland 15 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

By far the best is to add mustard to the toast. French works best and then drizzle the beans in soy sauce.
pasbury 15 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

poached egg or two on top - awesome
 ckms 15 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:
This was on TV on Saturday.. On my list to try: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/proper_baked_beans_with_36013

You can watch it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/programmes/b03glrg6
Post edited at 11:34
 jkarran 15 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

Either add poached eggs or a spalsh of Reggae Reggae sauce.

jk
 beardy mike 15 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

You said spice it up? Job done... just be carefull...

http://www.justchillies.co.uk/shop/#!/~/product/category=4331292&id=289...
MarkM 15 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:
What a great topic - and one I have given much consideration too.
Though I would note that I tend to modify almost all baked beans not just those on toast....

Standard basic is:
Fry/soften half a chopped onion - add 1 - 2 cloves of chopped garlic + 1 - 2 chopped chillis preferably red (chilli flakes will also do fine) fry for 2 - 3 minutes. Add tin of beans and fry gently for as long as it takes for your toast to do (at least 2 minutes if not doing toast!).

If in a hurry I would substitute the above for a more curried version by just adding a small (1/4 teaspoon max) amount of King Naga (an excellent versatile paste http://www.mrvikkis.co.uk/Item/king-naga) to the beans.

Cheers
Mark
 loose overhang 15 Dec 2014
In reply to farmer:

Next question: Which brand of BBs is best?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...