UKC

Daredevils tackle UK's highest peak!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TMM 13 Dec 2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2872564/Mountain-clim...

Wonderful stuff from the Mail. All the normal quality talk of 'conquer', 'spikes' etc...

In reply to TMM:

Don't worry: next week they'll do an even bigger, more breathless piece on the 'idiots' who go climbing in Scotland in winter, putting mountain rescue at risk and driving down house prices.

Nice enough pics, though.

Martin
 TobyA 13 Dec 2014
In reply to TMM:

That was the photo shoot that Daniel did for Jöttnar - Tom who he is climbing with is one of the founders of the company. Great photos and good to see him being able to sell them to a mainstream paper, but yeah - slightly bizarre writing as ever from the Mail!
In reply to TMM:

Must go back and finish that one. Pulling up out the cave with straight 'glencoe' axes os something I'll not forget in a hurry
 tehmarks 13 Dec 2014
In reply to TMM:

Good to see Britain is still at the forefront of cutting-edge mountaineering.
In reply to TMM:

I am 100% all for this kind of reporting. It keeps some idiots off the mountains leaving more for us ))
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 13 Dec 2014
In reply to TMM:

Ha ha, Dan is a good friend and has been suitably ribbed on Facebook. I believe only the photos are his, not the text.

In all seriousness though as Toby says it's good for photographers to be able to sell material to mainstream papers. And the Jöttnar kit looks good as well...
 wildeybeast 14 Dec 2014
In reply to James Rushforth:

Thanks for not tearing me to shreds, particularly Toby and James!! Rushy is right, I provided images but not words - strictly speaking I didn't even provide the 'quotes'... The whole article is mildly embarrassing, but I'm glad to have taken money from Mail Online as they're one of the worst culprits for stealing images without permission/payment.
 mark s 14 Dec 2014
In reply to TMM:

i love reading the snobbery of people on here when a climbing related article appears in the media.or when bear ghrylls does another programme doing what ever he does.
let them write what they want,besides when the VS climbers on here tell people at parties they are 'climbers' people will think you are heroes risking your life week in week out.
OP TMM 14 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:

No snobbery from me Mark.

What I detest is the breathless hyperbole that accompanies so much reporting regardless of whether it is about climbing, politics, consumer spending (Black Friday anyone??), the X Factor, football etc...

Still if you 'love' to read this then I am glad you have been able to take so much pleasure from this thread!
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 14 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:

Cheer up, it's Christmas. I think the posts on this thread for the most part have been pretty reserved and light hearted.

The article certainly brought a smile to my face...

OP TMM 14 Dec 2014
In reply to wildeybeast:

Congratulations for taking some cash out of the Mail, might be a deal with Satan himself but if you can't kill the bugger you might as well take some cash from them.
In reply to mark s:

> when the VS climbers on here tell people at parties they are 'climbers' people will think you are heroes risking your life week in week out.

You want to see some of the VS leaders who come down to Cornwall to launch themselves at South Face Direct or Little Brown Jug. Risking life and limb is about right.

Ironic, though, the inherent snobbery in a statement which belittles the risks taken by people who 'only' climb VS........

Martin
 deepsoup 14 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:
> i love reading the snobbery of people on here when [...] bear ghrylls does another programme doing what ever he does.

I don't think it's necessarily snobbish to find bullshit irritating.
 Niall 14 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:

> let them write what they want,besides when the VS climbers on here tell people at parties they are 'climbers' people will think you are heroes risking your life week in week out.

We'll be beating the birds off with a sh*tty Pterodactyl :-D
 timjones 14 Dec 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

> I don't think it's necessarily snobbish to find bullshit irritating.

It's no good getting irritated just because someone gets a tacky paper to bullshit on their behalf
In reply to mark s:
I'm with Maisie on this. I find your self aggrandizing comment on vs climbers both unnecessary and pretty belittling. You were there once yourself remember?
Post edited at 18:58
mackfras 14 Dec 2014
Nice pics though....
 timjones 15 Dec 2014
In reply to tallpaulselfridge:

> I'm with Maisie on this. I find your self aggrandizing comment on vs climbers both unnecessary and pretty belittling. You were there once yourself remember?

Not isn't how I interpreted his post at all.

Surely the inference was merely that people outside our sport see it in a very different light?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...