UKC

UKC Winter Climbing Conditions - Northern Coires, Cairngorms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Cairngorm Adventure Guides 13 Dec 2014
Today saw the best weather in recent days. The crags are looking more wintry than yesterday, but there is still a lot of soft snow about with some deep drifts on approaches.
It was busy with lots of routes being climbed in Coire an t-Sneachda; Hidden Chimney, The Message, Pot of Gold, Fingers Ridge, Pigmy Ridge etc..
There was also a rock fall incident around Aladinns Buttress. Fortunately the party at the bottom weren't badly hurt.
There's a photo on the blog which gives an idea of how conditions look.
http://www.cairngormadventureguides.co.uk/blog.html
Cairngorm Adventure Guides 13 Dec 2014
Good climbing conditions in Coire an Lochan today. Rocks all rimed, solid turf, little bit of ice in cracks and corners.
 Ranger Nic 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Cairngorm Adventure Guides:

Just back from photographing Coire an t-Sneachda. I posted three pics to my gallery. Mirror Direct is loking short and steep, but entertaining.
N.
 Robertgiddy 15 Dec 2014
Walked into t-Sneachda through driving rain on Sunday Morning. The thaw seemed to have stripped Mess of Pottage quite badly but the cliffs further right still looked pretty white. Climbed Jacobs ladder which was fun but hard for I - probably II/III currently. Would expect that now the temperatures dropped back down there will be some nice neve developing.
 Captain Solo 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Ranger Nic:

Was in the coire today, pottage looked a bit black as was alladin's, trident gullies starting to fill, some other groove lines on fluted too. Fiachaill quite white, some neve and not too much powder on the approach, some useful snow and frozen turf on Fiachaill buttress routes.
 Cameron94 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Captain Solo:

Yup pretty much summed it up.

The Mess is looking black, Alladin's Buttress wasn't much better, fluted had potential and Fiacaill Buttress looked plastered. Although I wouldn't have fancied the approach slopes towards it today.

Turf was solid, most blocks were frozen in place and plenty of ice starting to form.

The plateau also looked in great nick for some touring.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...