UKC

South of Scotland ski tour

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
moffatross 13 Dec 2014

Magic, and close to home 10 mile tour in the Southern Uplands today, very nice powder, but very poo-viz. Big (I mean huge for my part of Scotland) full depth avalanche discovered en route, recently self-triggered. Cool descent to the M74 by torchlight.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157649336482618/
Post edited at 22:34
 TobyA 13 Dec 2014
In reply to moffatross:

Saw your pics on the Facebook group - looks great. The avalanche looks terrifying - shows that if there is snow, it can slide and being in gullies is never a great idea if there are snowy slopes above you!

I guess there wasn't much base. I've found skiing even quite deep snow with no base very hard if the grass underneath is tussocky at all. Looks quite good where you were though?
moffatross 13 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Lowther Hills (a few miles WNW of Moffat). Car-to-car traverse from Wanlockhead to Elvanfoot dipping into safest slopes on the east ridge. Moffat Hills could have been epic if weather had played nice but road to Megget Stone would almost certainly have been impassable and Moffat Hills are that much higher and more commiting than the Lowthers that visibility/safe skiing on a high risk day would have been incompatible

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...