UKC

No SPOTY thread?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lowersharpnose 14 Dec 2014
Have I missed one.

Anyway, I'll start the prejudiced and ill-informed opinion with...

It should not be Lewis Hamilton.

He does not live here, he moved away to avoid tax. And it looks like he is wearing large diamond ear things.

goldmember 14 Dec 2014
In reply to lowersharpnose:

Rory Mc two of majors in a row.
In reply to goldmember:

I think that might do it. But golf is not a sport, it's a pastime.

Sir Chasm 14 Dec 2014

Yes, you've missed one http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=603302
 goldmember 14 Dec 2014

> I think that might do it. But golf is not a sport, it's a pastime.

This pastime, nonsense. Winds me up. A Sportsperson shouldn't be defined by how much one sweats.

Ronnie O'Sullivan and Phil 'the power' Taylor. Deserve the same plaudits that Brad Wiggins and Mo Farah get.
 Tony the Blade 14 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember:

> This pastime, nonsense. Winds me up. A Sportsperson shouldn't be defined by how much one sweats.

> Ronnie O'Sullivan and Phil 'the power' Taylor. Deserve the same plaudits that Brad Wiggins and Mo Farah get.

No they don't. Sorry, but the physical dedication is what defines a sportsman/woman.

Just my humble opinion, obviously.
In reply to goldmember:

No, they don't.

I watched Rory do it, and I was impressed, but...
 goldmember 14 Dec 2014

> No, they don't.

Explain?

Ronnie and Phil's physical dedication to perfecting their fine motor skills to such a high level is for me the same as Wiggins and Farah's development of their gross motor skills

goldmember 14 Dec 2014

Enjoyed Linkers comment to Rory

I've just seen a friend of mine on stage! She was a double gold winner at the Invictus games. Go Mickey!
In reply to goldmember:

I guess it comes down to your definition of sport. Ballet is closer to sport than snooker. Each to his own, but still.

Ladies Rugby for the team, well done
 The New NickB 14 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember:

> Ronnie O'Sullivan and Phil 'the power' Taylor. Deserve the same plaudits that Brad Wiggins and Mo Farah get.

Ha, ha, ha!

> Ladies Rugby for the team, well done

indeed
 goldmember 14 Dec 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Don't get it ?

Sir Chris Hoy... yay, now there's a sportsman!
 goldmember 14 Dec 2014

> Ladies Rugby for the team, well done

Deserved!
 Chris the Tall 14 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember:

When I saw Peaty on the list I thought mountain biking was finally being recognised .....

Did manon carpenter get a mention ?

Jo paver was my pick, but always thought she be third

Bollocks
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Third was good. She was the top sports person.

Is that to the diamond wearing tax exile?
 goldmember 14 Dec 2014

No shocks sadly. Would UKC say Hamilton is a sportsman?
In reply to goldmember:

> No shocks sadly. Would UKC say Hamilton is a sportsman?

Would you say that driving my 1.4l VW Golf to work is a sport? If no, then there is your answer, if yes then you've obviously seen me driving through the New Forest
 Yanis Nayu 14 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember:

I like Lewis Hamilton. He's talented, hard-working, humble and generous in his praise of those who have helped him.

Driving a Formula 1 car requires amazing skill and fitness. Lewis Hamilton is a sportsman by any measure.
 goldmember 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

should probably start a new thread about this, it'd be interesting to capture folks views
 Kimono 14 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember:

you expect a unified answer??

i think the tax-exile thing seems to be more held against him than the fact that he's 'just' driving a car
In reply to goldmember:

I struggle with this. It has skill, it certainly has risk. But it is so dependent on the car, that I think it is more of a technical team sport.

F1 is sooo much about image/advertising/bollox and not in any way a sport that can attract disparate participants. Diamond ear things.

Very few can do it, it is completely marketing driven, so no, not good.

Horse 14 Dec 2014

> Did manon carpenter get a mention ?

Yes in passing for the worlds in Norway, as did Gee Atherton. No mention of the context or drama of the races though.

Never got "F1" and find it surprising someone who won a one horse race got the gong.

On the bright side, Jonny looked much more relaxed than last time he was up there.
In reply to Malcolm Tucker's Sweary Aunt:

> Driving a Formula 1 car requires amazing skill and fitness. Lewis Hamilton is a sportsman by any measure.

Driving a car a high speed is not something I want to see encouraged. When you look at chris hoy, Jo pavey, and rugby women you think "inspirational" In a good way. Not so with Hamilton
 StuA15 14 Dec 2014

Yup, both Manon and Gee Atherton both got a (very) brief mention in the "other sports" montage.....
In reply to goldmember:

> Don't get it ?

You don't get that your comments about pub sports being equal athletics or cycling are laughable.
In reply to icarus3815:

> Yup, both Manon and Gee Atherton both got a (very) brief mention in the "other sports" montage.....

Ellie Greenwood didn't, which was a shame. 100km world champion and first British winner of the Commrades.
 goldmember 14 Dec 2014

> You don't get that your comments about pub sports being equal athletics or cycling are laughable.

As is your dismissal of Ronnie and Phil, purely in terms of hours practised. I'd wage a large one that they'd very similar to non "pub" sports.

Oli 14 Dec 2014

> Driving a car a high speed is not something I want to see encouraged.

Err... Are you serious?

Let's ban all forms of motorsport because it might involve going fast in a controlled environment. In fact let's ban horse racing as well, they go pretty quickly. And cyclists too, compared to pedestrians their speed makes them a menace. FFS, just because you don't enjoy something doesn't mean others don't and it shouldn't be encouraged/permitted. If you'd said 'driving dangerously is something not to be encouraged' then you'd have had a point.

JMGLondon 14 Dec 2014

Great that Jo P got top 3. No surprise at all that she didn't win it given the popularity and profile of Golf and F1, but cracking that she beat a very famous and brilliant footballer.
In reply to goldmember:

> As is your dismissal of Ronnie and Phil, purely in terms of hours practised. I'd wage a large one that they'd very similar to non "pub" sports.

No it has nothing to do with how hard they practice. The simple fact is they are not global sports and never will be.
In reply to JMGLondon:

> Great that Jo P got top 3. No surprise at all that she didn't win it given the popularity and profile of Golf and F1, but cracking that she beat a very famous and brilliant footballer.

Footballers generally don't do very well at SPOTY, generally they have to have done something spectacular in an England shirt (Moore, Gazza, Owen and Beckham), or in Giggs case been nominated in a very weak year.

Charlton, Best, Keegan, Dalglish, Lineker never won it.
 goldmember 14 Dec 2014

It has everything to with hours practised.

Snooker has a massive following in the far east. However I fail to see the point your making in your second sentence.
 goldmember 14 Dec 2014

Best deserved it, both for skill and his personality. Dam shame
In reply to goldmember:

> It has everything to with hours practised.

Why? Not all sports are equal, however hard you practice.

> Snooker has a massive following in the far east. However I fail to see the point your making in your second sentence.

It still isn't a global sport. Don't you think it is odd that 90% of Snooker World Champions come from the UK. Snooker is only reasonably high profile sport in the UK because it works well on TV, but basically there are a limited number of players, who are limited geographically. The same cannot be said about plenty other sports, particularly athletics.
In reply to goldmember:

It has everything to with hours practised.

But that is not all is it?

Otherwise topiary, chess & the Chelsea flower show winners.

I don't doubt the skill and hours put in by snooker players. But they are just playing a game like Grand Theft Auto.
Removed User 15 Dec 2014

Quite-Hemmingway's definition of sport extended to only mountaineering, motor sports and bull fighting-everything else being mere games of one sort of another. Gets coat.
 Phil1919 15 Dec 2014

Except that like dressage, its a bit elitist.
 Trevers 15 Dec 2014

> F1 is sooo much about image/advertising/bollox and not in any way a sport that can attract disparate participants. Diamond ear things.

At one point Lewis' Dad worked 4 jobs to support him in go-karting. He wasn't born into privelege.
In reply to Phil1919:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade)
>
> Except that like dressage, its a bit elitist.

Elite sport is elitist???
In reply to Trevers:

> At one point Lewis' Dad worked 4 jobs to support him in go-karting. He wasn't born into privelege.

Doesn't that just make his tax-dodging all the worse?
Moley 15 Dec 2014

Having zero interest in F1 its difficult to accept it as true sport, my impression has always been that the car is of more importance than the driver in determining who is dominant through a season. Money and technology dominate.
Didn't Hamilton say he had a team of 1200 people working for them? Rather takes teamwork to a new level and presumably not done with lottery funding! On the plus side he seems a nice guy, has worked hard and it is probably a drug free (performance enhancing) sport.
 neilh 15 Dec 2014

I understand that Rory is also a tax exile ( his earnings are probably similar to Lewis, probably higher).

On the basis of rags to riches Lewis gets my vote everytime, especially for the dedication from his parents ( especially his dad, holding 4 jobs to pay for the habit).
 Phil1919 15 Dec 2014
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Its a matter of degree I suppose where it becomes a bit weird, which is why I enjoyed seeing Jo Pavey get her third place. You don't meet many African track cyclists. He is racing against a very small number of other track cyclists, supported by wealthy countries giving out big grants. For that reason I would have enjoyed Rory McElroy getting it ahead of Lewis Hamilton.
In reply to Phil1919:

African golfers?
 Chris the Tall 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Oli:

> Err... Are you serious?

Yes. I think the last person killed by a speeding racehorse was a suffragette. If you read the letters and comments in certain newspapers then you might believe that speeding cyclists are a terrible, life threatening menace, but the reality is somewhat different. On average 2000 people are killed on Britains roads p.a., and I'm sure a substantial number of those died because a motorist was going to fast.

BBC sports strapline at the moment is "Get inspired" - a great sentiment. We are a society getting more obese and more dependent on the car. So get inspired to go for a run, a swim, get on the bike or go for a kickaround in the park, swing a tennis racket or even, if you must, swing a golf club or go to a gym.

But inspire people to get in a car and go fast......

Not to mention paying tens of millions to a corrupt sleazeball to pay for the rights to show it.

> He does not live here

Not sure that precludes him from SPOTY - surely any sport where you travel most of the year means you don't live here.

I wouldn't have chosen him on the basis of personality - in that I don't like his public persona - but that's the problem with the general public and voting, they rarely seem to agree with me.

Babika 15 Dec 2014

I voted for Max Whitlock. Thought his achievements were fantastic

Did anyone else think that shoes in general were a bit weird? Lots of blokes seem to come on stage wearing a dapper suit and trainers at the bottom. Is this the new vogue?

And what was Emily Sharratt thinking of in flat pumps and an evening gown? Tsk.
 Mike Highbury 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Babika:
> Did anyone else think that shoes in general were a bit weird? Lots of blokes seem to come on stage wearing a dapper suit and trainers at the bottom. Is this the new vogue?

Have you missed the last twenty years?

But at least you aren't complaining about sports people being flash, that seems to be a cardinal sin on here.
 The New NickB 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Babika:

She was probably thinking "I've won the World Cup, I'll wear what I want".

When Ronnie's on form, the speed at which he can play is mind blowing!

It's also pretty incredible that he can play just as well with either hand.
JMGLondon 15 Dec 2014

Always find it funny how, in these threads, people seem to qualify their love of a particular sport by sneering at other sports!

Clarence 15 Dec 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

I don't think that many people are sneering, it is just the exasperation that the definition of sport seems to be "what we can show on TV that looks vaguely competitive".
 Nevis-the-cat 15 Dec 2014

Well, Motorsport is a major employer in the UK and it is something we can be rightly proud of exporting. I don't understand why you have a problem with it? Take a drive up the M40 and tick off all those employers.

You're building a total strawman if you are trying to conflate poor driving and road design with professional motorsport.

Is F1 a sport - well I would look at the drivers - there's a reason why Button is a triathlete and Schumy was a fairly handy climber and runner - it's because it requires a high degree of fitness and core strength. These are races which are won by 1000's of a second and to perform at that level requires massive amount of skill, endurance and balls. Take a look at a F1 car and then look at the driver - they are more like fast jet pilots. you can't compare the standard of driving and hard work it takes to pilot a 200mph F1 car to some nobber in a 318 tailgating you on the M1.

I suppose it all boils down to the 10,000 hours thing - it takes that much time to be exceptional, and as Arnold Palmer said - "the more I practice, the luckier I get".

To be honest, I should have expected this - there is something about SPOTY that draws a quite mean spirited and elitist ranting form certain quarters of UKC.
 Yanis Nayu 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

I used to play football with a guy who worked for the Arrows team. He said the fitness of the drivers was incredible.

They had Jos Verstappen return to them mid-season (must have been around 2000 / 2001) and he was performing well in his first race, when he inexplicably started losing pace. Brundle was speculating that he had a hydraulics problem etc. I asked my mate when I saw him at football and he told me that Verstappen was simply knackered; he wasn't back to race fitness and couldn't push the car hard enough. That tells its own story.
Clauso 15 Dec 2014

All that aside, there's no escaping the fact that F1 is just utterly shite.
 Babika 15 Dec 2014

I thought it was Steve Davies who said "its amazing, the more I practise the luckier I get"?
mhart 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Babika:

Gary Player said it originally.
 Babika 15 Dec 2014
In reply to mhart:

Arnold Palmer, Steve Davies, Gary Player.......any other sports folk like to claim this witticism?
JMGLondon 15 Dec 2014

I think one could also argue that technology developed within Motorsport has probably saved quite a few folk on the road as well.
 galpinos 15 Dec 2014

Having said all that.......

My main issue with F1 is that I'm never sure if the best driver won, it's the combination of driver and car and that affects my opinion.

I voted for Jo Pavey, there was no doubt as she crossed the finish line whether it was her or the trainers that were worthy of the medal and I was swayed by the comeback nature of her "story".

I realised I'm a bit prejudiced against the younger athletes, I seemed to just think they'll achieve more in their career and get another chance so give it to Jo!
In reply to JMGLondon:

> I think one could also argue that technology developed within Motorsport has probably saved quite a few folk on the road as well.

May have saved a few folk inside cars, but not those on the outside. Risk compensation means that the safer a motorist feels, the less care they will take.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a motorist, I own a car. I just think our addiction to them is dangerous and needs to be addressed. Lots of people are employed by the tobacco industry, doesn't mean smoking competitions would be a good idea.
JMGLondon 15 Dec 2014
But that's not a reason to stop developing safer cars. Motorsport is also delivering more fuel efficient engines, which is useful for people like you who presumably need to use a car.

Nobody needs to smoke,but lots of people need to get around in vehicles.

edit: typo
Post edited at 14:54
 Martin Hore 15 Dec 2014
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> African golfers?

Did you mean African or Black?

Ernie Els, Tiger Woods, Vijay Singh?

Martin
 Nevis-the-cat 15 Dec 2014

I think a track day should be part of the driving test. That way people like the stupid little bitch who effectively parked her shitty little Vauxhall on my back bumper on the M6 yesterday might learn what happens when you stack it at 80 mph.
In reply to JMGLondon:

> Motorsport is also delivering more fuel efficient engines,

That just makes me think of the quote “Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity”
JMGLondon 15 Dec 2014

haha - George Carlin was great. 'Atheism is a non-prophet organisation'.

Anyway, I take your point, but at least fuel efficient engines and safer cars are somewhere toward a solution.
In reply to Martin Hore:

My response was to the suggestion that track cycling was elitist because 'you don't see many African track cyclists' (although in fact there are some road racers coming through) By African I'm pretty sure the original comment meant 'from Africa' and I doubt he had white South Africans in mind.
I was merely pointing out that if we are talking about poverty stricken Africans being rare in a sport as a benchmark for it's 'eletism-rating' then there are many sports (skiing?) that would qualify. Golf (and F1 for that matter) being among them
In reply to Martin Hore:

> Did you mean African or Black?

> Ernie Els, Tiger Woods, Vijay Singh?

> Martin

Vijay Singh is of African origin?
 earlsdonwhu 15 Dec 2014
I think Hamilton is a decent bloke with some personality but I was reluctant to see someone win who has been supported by 1200 others (to build their vehicle). I am more impressed by the likes of Pavey who achieved success with pretty much just the help of her husband/coach. ( I'm sure UK athletics provides nutritionists/ physios etc but it is much more of an individual effort)

Clauso 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> Vijay Singh is of African origin?

Well, we all are of African origin, aren't we, if you trace things back far enough?... That's why I'm frightened of lions, anyhow, despite not seeing many of them in the High Peak.
In reply to Clauso:

> Well, we all are of African origin, aren't we, if you trace things back far enough?... That's why I'm frightened of lions, anyhow, despite not seeing many of them in the High Peak.

No way. I was cast from the silt of the River Jordan.
 peppermill 15 Dec 2014

Meh. Still think Guy Martin should have got it. Then again he does most of his work for Channel 4.
 The New NickB 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Troy Tempest:

> Meh. Still think Guy Martin should have got it. Then again he does most of his work for Channel 4.

As much as I enjoyed his shows, they amounted to a few record breaking stunts for the telly.

His main sporting passion is TT, but he is not good enough at that to be recognised in that regard.
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> Vijay Singh is of African origin?

Indo-Fijian.

Of course there have been plenty Golfers, racing drivers, cyclists etc who would consider themselves African, it's just their parents or grandparents were probably English or Dutch.

I properly despise golf, whereas I just find F1 dull, but it was clear that McIlroy was the best golfer in the world this year by some distance. Hamilton was one of probably a dozen drivers who could have won the world championship with the right car, he was one of only two drivers with the right car.

I'm an athletics fan, but the power of Pavey's story is just incredible, a national junior champion, 20 year senior career, in the shadow of Paula most of her career. Wins her first major international title at nearly 41 (a European Championships record by more than 3 years) 10 months after giving birth. I know she has inspired 10s of thousands of people. That is why she got my vote.
 timjones 16 Dec 2014

When did a foreigner last win SPOTY?
 FactorXXX 16 Dec 2014
In reply to timjones:

When did a foreigner last win SPOTY?

Cristiano Ronaldo won it this year.
In reply to timjones:
The main prize is UK only. There is an international prize, which Cristiano Ronaldo won this year.

In 1999 the did a sportsman of the century award, which was open to anyone. Ali won it, Pele was in the top 3.

They have awarded the lifetime achievement prize to at least one foreigner as well, Seve.
Post edited at 09:23
 timjones 16 Dec 2014

> The main prize is UK only. There is an international prize, which Cristiano Ronaldo won this year.

> In 1999 the did a sportsman of the century award, which was open to anyone. Ali won it, Pele was in the top 3.

> They have awarded the lifetime achievement prize to at least one foreigner as well, Seve.

If the main prize is UK only then surely it shouldn't be limited to "global" sports?
 timjones 16 Dec 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

> When did a foreigner last win SPOTY?

> Cristiano Ronaldo won it this year.

I thought Lewis Hamilton won?
Removed User 16 Dec 2014

>As much as I enjoyed his shows, they amounted to a few record breaking stunts for the telly.

>His main sporting passion is TT, but he is not good enough at that to be recognised in that regard

True enough, but it looked like he did genuinely put a fair bit of effort into the various things he did. Plus, and most crucially, he appears to have an actual measurable and engaging personality.
 FactorXXX 16 Dec 2014
In reply to timjones:

I thought Lewis Hamilton won?

As stated above and which I assume you must have read because you replied to it, there is more than one category.
In reply to timjones:

> If the main prize is UK only then surely it shouldn't be limited to "global" sports?

It isn't limited to "global" sports, but it is supposed to be for the best sporting performance by a UK sports person, generally when considering these things it is best to consider people who compete in very competitive sports with global reach.
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

The personality bit in the title of the award is just old fashioned language. It is for sporting achievement.
 timjones 16 Dec 2014

> It isn't limited to "global" sports, but it is supposed to be for the best sporting performance by a UK sports person, generally when considering these things it is best to consider people who compete in very competitive sports with global reach.

I'd fairly strongly disagree with that. If it's about performance it's quite possible to perform better in a UK only sport than other people are achieving in sports with global reach.
 Mike Highbury 16 Dec 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

> I thought Lewis Hamilton won?

> As stated above and which I assume you must have read because you replied to it, there is more than one category.

Oh come on, it wasn't the worst joke.
In reply to timjones:

> I'd fairly strongly disagree with that. If it's about performance it's quite possible to perform better in a UK only sport than other people are achieving in sports with global reach.

It's possible, which is why pretty much all sports are eligible, but how do you measure performance?

Could you give some examples.

Martin Hore 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Clauso:

> Well, we all are of African origin, aren't we, if you trace things back far enough?... That's why I'm frightened of lions, anyhow, despite not seeing many of them in the High Peak.

Well I know that Vijay Singh is Fijian/Indian but on the crudest scale of "White" vs "Black", fortunately now much less commonly used, he would probably be classed as "Black". I was just commenting on DubyaJamesDubya's assertion that you don't see many African golfers, by which he must have meant Black golfers from Africa as there are a number of world class golfers born in (South) Africa and at least one (Woods) of (partly) Black African descent. He came back and clarified that he was referring to economic opportunity, not racial or geographical background, which I'm sure is true.
 timjones 16 Dec 2014

> It's possible, which is why pretty much all sports are eligible, but how do you measure performance?

> Could you give some examples.

It's not that complicated. If the criteria is beast in the UK then it is possible to gauge performance in any sport that has a UK championship.
In reply to timjones:
> It's not that complicated. If the criteria is beast in the UK then it is possible to gauge performance in any sport that has a UK championship.

No you don't understand. Best British sportsperson of all the sports people who are already best in the UK.

Sometimes the World Champion or Olympic Champion is British, but isn't British Champion. Which is the greater achievement generally.
Post edited at 12:02
 GrahamD 16 Dec 2014

> It isn't limited to "global" sports, but it is supposed to be for the best sporting performance by a UK sports person, generally when considering these things it is best to consider people who compete in very competitive sports with global reach.

'Supposed' is the operative word. What it really boils down to is the profile of the sport which depends on TV coverage. Skeleton really isn't a mainstream sport which, because it was on TV, even got a nominee. By contrast we do pretty well at squash on a global basis but you wouldn't guess it from the SPOTY coverage.
In reply to GrahamD:

Skeleton is an Olympic sport, squash isn't. It also represented our only Olympic Gold this year. That is what made the difference. Actually I saw loads of squash on the TV this year, much more than the skeleton.

The reasons for different profiles of sport is a bit more complicated than TV coverage.
 timjones 16 Dec 2014

> No you don't understand. Best British sportsperson of all the sports people who are already best in the UK.

What leads you to the assumption that I don't understand

> Sometimes the World Champion or Olympic Champion is British, but isn't British Champion.

Best in the country but not British champion?

Do our best sportspeople always get to compete at a world level?

>Which is the greater achievement generally.

That depends on the quality of the opponents on the day, it really doesn't matter where the opponents come from.

When trying to pick the best sportsperson out of many different sports it will always be subjective. Saying that they should compete in a global sport or that the person should compete internationally isn't necessarily going to make it easier to find a clear winner.
In reply to timjones:

> What leads you to the assumption that I don't understand

The text you have typed clearly demonstrates that you have not understood.

> Best in the country but not British champion?

Maybe they were injured, maybe they were competing in a more high profile competition, maybe it is a sport where you progress from national level to global level competition and don't do both at the same stage in your career.

> Do our best sportspeople always get to compete at a world level?

Depends if they are good enough.

> >Which is the greater achievement generally.

> That depends on the quality of the opponents on the day, it really doesn't matter where the opponents come from.

Sometimes we are lucky as a nation, the competition comes from the home nation (Coe & Ovett or Brownlee & Brownlee), but usually there will be stronger competition abroad. Mo Farah beating Kenyans and Ethiopians is a much bigger deal than him beating Chris Thompson (great athlete that Thompson is).

> When trying to pick the best sportsperson out of many different sports it will always be subjective. Saying that they should compete in a global sport or that the person should compete internationally isn't necessarily going to make it easier to find a clear winner.

Of course it is subjective, it is a public vote and will be based on a whole raft of prejudices, but it is about being much more than the best in Britain. Every one of the nominees on Sunday was world class, not just the best in Britain.
 peppermill 16 Dec 2014

> As much as I enjoyed his shows, they amounted to a few record breaking stunts for the telly.

> His main sporting passion is TT, but he is not good enough at that to be recognised in that regard.

Yes I know. I wasn't being serious.

Mind you it would have broken up the usual media-trained tedium during the interview!
 GrahamD 17 Dec 2014

> Skeleton is an Olympic sport, squash isn't. It also represented our only Olympic Gold this year. That is what made the difference.

True, that is what makes the difference, but only because the winter olympics were on TV

Nothing to do with the level of mass participation in the sport (how many skeleton riders are there in the world ?) - what it actually takes to get to the top of that sport. OK squash this year may not be the best example because we currently don't have the world number one and world champion but it was only a couple of years ago we did have.

> Actually I saw loads of squash on the TV this year, much more than the skeleton.

But not on SPOTY

> The reasons for different profiles of sport is a bit more complicated than TV coverage.

Not just TV, media in general. I'ts not even as though eg squash is a minority participation sport in the UK especially when compared to tennis.
 The New NickB 17 Dec 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Squash has a problem, it is neither an Olympic sport or a global sport. Commonwealth Games had all the worlds best players. If it became Olympic (it should, but the IOC disagree) it would become more global.

Tennis is popular because it is better to watch, but more importantly it is global and is heavily marketed.

Olympic Golds mean a lot to the public, even in sports they would never try.
 GrahamD 17 Dec 2014

Apart from the fact that the best squash player is currently Egyptian of course

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...