UKC

Recommendation for self-catering cottage in Highlands/islands?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si Withington 15 Dec 2014
Hi

Can I please have your recommendations for self catering accommodation that fits the following-ish criteria, in the Highlands and Scottish west coast islands (particularly Skye).

Ideally a cosy cottage type thing
Small - just me and the missus
Cheap!
Dogs welcome
Would be cool if it had a sea view, or is near to the sea/Loch - not essential though
Walking distance to a good pub

Thanks in advance

Si
 Mark Bull 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Si Withington:

> Walking distance to a good pub

That's the toughest criterion, especially the "good" bit!

I haven't stayed there but this place would fit your requirements, I think:
http://www.dryisland.co.uk/index.php

Ullapool would also be a reasonable bet: quite a few places to stay in the town. Have a poke around on here: http://www.ullapool.com/accommodation.html

OP Si Withington 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Mark Bull:

Thanks for that. Any others anyone? Further south is good too.
raasay 15 Dec 2014

Hi,
I have a 1 room studio style bungalow in the centre of Ullapool, which I`m willing to let out depending on dates. Dogs welcome, near the sea, and plenty of good pubs nearby.
Pm me for details if interested.
Steve

I've stayed here a few times: http://www.cottageguide.co.uk/harportcottage/

It has suffered a deranged makeover but maybe you'll like that! The pub's very close and pretty good, although the beer is generally not so good. Right by Loch Harport. Not sure what their dog policy is.
OP Si Withington 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

I think I'd need another holiday after staying in that place mate! Lovely from the outside though.

Yes, a shame. There's another more normally decorated holiday let in the same terrace.
OP Si Withington 17 Dec 2014

Any more for any more?
 climbwhenready 17 Dec 2014

I could give you one that says they're unfortunately unable to accept pets, but I'm assuming that's a "hard" requirement...
Graeme G 18 Dec 2014

You are joking aren't you?????

"I want everything that you could possibly want from a cottage in Scotland.....oh but I want it cheap".......I've stayed in loads and one thing I can guarantee you is you get what you pay for. If you want cheap you're going to have to compromise on something. I've stayed cheap and can guarantee it wasn't cosy (beds were awful and the heating didn't work) and it wasn't near anywhere, let alone a pub!

Suggest you spend a lot of time googling, there are loads of sites dedicated to country cottages in Scotland.

If you want cosy in a Pub I'd recommend the Crask Inn.

Good Luck
OP Si Withington 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> You are joking aren't you?????

No. I've stayed in loads of places that have been a great deal and that I have found as a result of a recommendation from others. Thus the post. The whole point of asking for a recommendation is to cut through endless Googling with no way of knowing what a gaff is like, but thanks for your suggestion all the same.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...