UKC

Running shoe for Cuillins

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andybenham 15 Dec 2014
Hi there,
I posted this on the Ultra running community on Facebook and thought I'd ask here. I'm wondering what the thoughts are on footwear for a rock only mountain run with a fair bit of scrambling and short sections of easy rock would be? i.e. Cuillin ridge.

I'm not out to set any records and haven't entirely decided just how fast and light I intend to go but I'm an experienced climber and more recently have done a lot of long distance trail running so this seemed like a good combination of the two!

I guess I'm wondering about whether I'm better off running in an approach shoe that gives me a bit more confidence on the climbing bits. My usual shoe of choice is Salomon Fellraisers or Inov8 Rocklites - both great in wet muddy conditions but not ideally suited to scrambling/climbing.

Thoughts?
 Bob 15 Dec 2014
In reply to andybenham:

Walshes with slightly worn down studs.
 vscott 15 Dec 2014
In reply to andybenham:

Inov8's work well - roclites (sticky soles) are excellent so easiest to stick with them. As alternatives, La sportiva (and others?) make 'sky race' shoes that have sticky rubber soles and are less lugged than fell shoes but might be hard to get hold of in UK.

Gabbro is incredibly grippy so most trail/fell running shoes work, though the crux (TD gap) is on very polished basalt. There's not a lot of soft ground so something with a bit of cushioning is not a bad idea.

Enjoy
 vscott 15 Dec 2014
In reply to andybenham:

Forgot to add... the ridge is also a shoe killer, so maybe not worth a brand-new pair.
 markk 15 Dec 2014
In reply to andybenham:
Something that you don't want to use again... It will eat them.

I wore an old pair of Salomon xa pro 3 d ultra.
andymac 15 Dec 2014
In reply to andybenham:
If they are going to be destroyed ,I would go with La Sportiva crosslites

Often on offer in the shops.

Saloman Speedcross would be good ,but the soles would evaporate in front of you.

Cullins for me this summer coming.never been which is a bit mad as I can see them on a clear day.

Want to see what all the fuss is about.and try and fathom what sort of machine Fin Wild is.
Post edited at 19:00
OP andybenham 17 Dec 2014
In reply to andybenham:
Thanks all. Will probably sick with my old trail shoes then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...