UKC

Vango Spectre 300- Suitable for Scottish Winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stani49 15 Dec 2014
Hi all,

I'm looking to spend a lot of time in Scotland this Winter for expedition training and on a low budget so quite happy staying in a tent in gnarly conditions both at ground level and up high on the mountains in Glencoe/Aviemore areas.
My friend has kindly offered me his Vango Spectre 300- I've used this previously in Summer and Winter conditions in the UK, winds up to 30-40mph, and with a bit of snow on the ground and it has been hardy and reliable- but not sure whether it's tough enough for the worst of Scottish weather?

Anybody had this tent who can advise? The spec is below is anyone can offer any thoughts...
http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/products/Vango-Spectre-300-Tent.html

Thanks,
Alex
 Nick_Scots 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Stani49:

We use them at school on canoe expeditions and walking trips. We had three show no damage etc after a night in May 2013 with gusts up to 57mph recorded. So pretty robust ! I have never used them in snow. I have a decathlon tent with snow valences I prefer for snow camping.
 Mal Grey 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Stani49:

Assuming you are on ground where you can pitch it tautly and firmly, they're pretty good. Heavy snowfall might tend to make them sag outer onto inner, but wind shouldn't be a problem unless you can't get good purchase for guyline pegs etc. The key is to make sure the hoops can't move inwards towards each other.

The only other negative I can think of is that the small porch and side entrance may mean snow/rain get inside the tent. Less of a problem if using the "3" person 300 solo I guess.

I use a Halo 200, same fabrics and poles, but semi-geodesic and therefore freestanding. A good design, and pretty robust, but after 3 years heavy use (approx 30-40 nights a year in all conditions), its just starting to feel its age and this is where its not as tough as a more expensive tent I feel.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...