UKC

Symonds Yat Conditions??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 craggyfingers 16 Dec 2014
Anyone been to the Yat recently?
I'm thinking of going on Monday and wondered how claimable routes are at the moment?
Any insight appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

J
 The Ivanator 16 Dec 2014
In reply to craggyfingers:

Slippery muddy paths are likely to be more of a problem than seepage on the routes.
 ianstevens 16 Dec 2014
In reply to The Ivanator:

> Slippery muddy paths

Doesn't that descibe a good chunk of the routes?

allarms 16 Dec 2014

You weren't going all that way from Maidstone were you? (Assuming your profile is up to date)

It's probably wet. Definitely muddy. I wouldn't recommend it.
 The Pylon King 16 Dec 2014

Absolutely loads of it will be dry (the steeper climbs) but the paths will be muddy.
 alastairbegley 16 Dec 2014

went there a few weeks ago, approaches were horrible, routes were soaking and greasy. The Russian looked dry from the ground, turns out it was very much not which made it a bit more exciting.
 Rick Sewards 16 Dec 2014
In reply to alastairbegley:

> went there a few weeks ago, approaches were horrible, routes were soaking and greasy. The Russian looked dry from the ground, turns out it was very much not which made it a bit more exciting.

Hi Alistair

I guessed when reading this that this was 2 weekends ago, and confirmed from your logbook. That was actually a very odd weekend conditions-wise - apparently glorious, loads of sunshine, not too cold but really high humidity, light breeze from the east (= no breeze at all on the crag) and apart from Wynd Cliff I think all the Wye Valley crags were probably slimy - Wintour's certainly didn't seem to be drying at all. We've not had weather like that since - the wind has switched to the west, and when the sun has come out things have dried out.

PK is right that lots of Symonds Yat (but not the paths obviously) tends to dry quite quickly in winter. Wouldn't be my choice as it tends to be too cold for me (not being south facing), but if you're hardier you'll probably get stuff done

Rick
 Oogachooga 17 Dec 2014

Yat wasn't bad today. After lunch the rock was pretty sound. Didn't even feel that cold either.

Paths are muddy though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...