UKC

NEWS: Steve Dunning Climbs The New Statesman - Yorkshire Gritstone E9

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 16 Dec 2014
Steve Dunning repeating The New Statesman - E9, 2 kbSteve Dunning has made what is likely the tenth ascent of The New Statesman, the classic and bold gritstone arete at the Cow and Calf Rocks, Ilkley, West Yorkshire.

"It's very impressive John Dunne doing back in the day - 27 years ago - as not only must it have been way ahead of the other grit routes at the time but the difficulty of the crux would have been as hard as anything on the boulders in Yorkshire." commented Steve after his ascent...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69379

In reply to UKC News:

Nice one Steve, there's life in the old dog yet then
 1poundSOCKS 17 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

> "The crux is the first 8m which has a very bad landing and is sketchy in style"
> "On a rope I could do the crux one in four attempts."

I think I'd be looking for a better success rate before the lead. Maybe 4 out of 4!
 Toerag 17 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Was it really 27 years ago (1987)?
 Michael Hood 17 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News: Well either there's a paucity of news or NS is still cutting edge for the 10th ascent to be newsworthy. I think the latter as it averages out at one ascent every 3 years which is not a lot for such an obvious and desirable tick.

Well done to SD, it shows how far ahead JD was on some of his routes back then.

Climber_Bill 17 Dec 2014
In reply to Michael Hood:

Definitely still cutting edge! Still very hard and very bold. Tried it on a top rope years ago when I was climbing quite well (for me) and couldn't touch it. It is powerful but still requires that very special gritstone something.

My palms and fingers are sweating at the thought of it!
In reply to UKC News:

Blimey - never mind nearly destroying the placement; I'm surprised it didn't nearly destroy Michele Carminati. How did he get away with that?!

jcm
 Will Hunt 18 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

So who are the ten then?

John Dunne
Neil Bentley
That bloke in A Gritstone Year
Team America?
Michele Caminati
Jacob Cook
Steve Dunning

Ryan? Pearson?
 TimB 18 Dec 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> Blimey - never mind nearly destroying the placement; I'm surprised it didn't nearly destroy Michele Carminati. How did he get away with that?!

Looks like he was just very, very lucky with how he landed.

There's a photo sequence on this page: http://www.planetmountain.com/english/News/shownews1.lasso?l=2&keyid=39...

adi3969 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

Dunne, Grieve, Bentley, Hurley, Buys, Honnold, Jorgannson, Calimitri, Cook, Dunning

Andy Hardy 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

Pasquill (possible spelling error there!)
 smally 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

Gordon Lennox

And he lives in Aberdeen !
 adi3969 18 Dec 2014
In reply to smally:

Lennox must have been under the radar, Pasquill not to my knowledge, 11 sends then
 Andy Farnell 18 Dec 2014
In reply to adi3969:

> Lennox must have been under the radar, Pasquill not to my knowledge, 11 sends then

Ryan probably doesn't remember doing it....

Andy F
 Will Hunt 19 Dec 2014
In reply to adi3969:

Can't believe I hadn't twigged that it was Jordan in AGY.

Cook, Dunning......Gill?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...