UKC

Warming up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pewtle 16 Dec 2014
I'm interested to hear other UKC'ers warm up routines when they train at home on their board / woody. I have a beastmaker sat at home, but struggle to warm up properly outside of doing a few body weight exercises (pull up / press ups, few L hangs), and I want to avoid the dreaded *snap* of overtraining.

The internet is full of super useful advice like "warm up thouroughly" and "spend an hour doing finger wiggles" before even going near a finger board.
 john arran 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Pewtle:

It won't be much help but the same day I wrote the warming up chapter for Trad Climbing + I later went down to the Climbing Works, got straight on a long, hard (for me) problem, got completely boxed and never recovered so had a terrible session from that point onwards.

It's one thing knowing the theory and a completely different thing to put it into practice.
 Climber_Bill 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Pewtle:

When I use Metolius Rock Rings at home, not the same as a board, but similar warm up principle, I will do some arm pumping into the air, press ups, tricep dips on a chair, running on the spot, slight pull ups, squeeze a tennis ball etc. Basically anything to get the blood pumping into the relevant muscles and to warm everything up. I still find it takes a while to start to feel as though everything is working properly once I start a routine.

I would never use anything less than second joint until I was really warmed up.

Rich.
 Keendan 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Richard White:

I used (been a long time!) the largest holds or a pull up bar, with my feet on a chair in front of me. Swap hands every few seconds and swing the other arm back. Do it for a few minutes. It uses the back and arms, and gets you a bit pumped, but with a low intensity.
 Dandan 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Pewtle:

Star jumps, mountain climbers (google if you don't know it), press ups, shoulder press ups (press up but bent at the waist forming a pyramid, yes you will look stupid), superman, side planks, finger flicks (jazz hands), fingertip reaches, hanging leg raises, dynamic leg stretches, then I might think about pulling onto a hold...

I then do six or seven different static stretches when warming down after climbing.

I'm still getting injured alarmingly regularly, nothing major but enough to slow my progress. I refuse to beleive it is age (i'm only 32) and I do think all of the warming up/down helps, but being rewarded with a few periods of injury-free climbing would be nice for a change...

Climber_Bill 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Daniel Heath:

That sounds a good one, I'll try that.

Cheers.
 Dandan 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Richard White:

You really need a pulse-raiser before doing that though, get the blood moving before anything else

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...