UKC

Best way to repair pro shell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 16 Dec 2014
Hi folks,
On one of the "seams" of my pro shell jacket, there is a 2 inch area where it looks like the fabric has been stretched and spraying water on it lets it straight through.

Any ideas on how to repair it? It is out of warranty so looking for the best way forward.

Thanks, Den
OP Denni 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Jack_Lewin:

Thanks for the link three times Jack ;0)

Will have a look at that, could be just the job. Den
 PPP 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Denni:

This on the seams https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/seam-grip#10510 and then tape it over? Should be perfect.
OP Denni 16 Dec 2014
In reply to PPP:

Thanks mate, looks like a good piece of kit. Den
 Guy Hurst 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Denni:

The Seam Grip has worked much better than the special kits whenever I've attempted repairs to Gore fabrics. Just put a bit of tape on the opposite side of the fabric to where you're going to apply the stuff (stops it seeping through and getting all over the place), apply a good layer on the bit that's letting in water and give it plenty of time to cure.
OP Denni 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Guy Hurst:

Thanks for the advice and tips Guy, much appreciated. Den
 gethin_allen 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Denni:

Seam grip (sold as storm seal and numerous other names) is really the way to go. I've fixed all manner of stuff with it.

The solvent (ethyl acetate) is highly volatile so once opened the tube will go off quite quickly. To prevent this I store mine in the freezer.
 MtnGeekUK 16 Dec 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

Another vote for this (and method of storage!)

Your well known auction site normally has it for Buy It Now. Or your local surf shop will probably stock it too.
 gbloomer 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Denni:
If it's a decent jacket and still good for a few years yet another option is to have it professionally repaired by 'Scottish Mountain Gear'. I had a pair of ME Tupilak Pants repaired (also pro shell) and the job they did was first class. Good as new! It's not as expensive as you would think either.
I notice too that they are sponsoring the MWIS site this year.
Post edited at 02:24
Big Mountain Man 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Denni:

Although it maybe out of warranty I would first send it to the garment maker........I have sent Montane, Scrapa, Mountain Equipment products back after warranties have expired and received a new or repaired product back.
A well penned letter and a polite “Please can you suggest” has always been fruitful for me
 Guy Hurst 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Big Mountain Man:

Berghaus once repaired an old waterproof for me, but I don't know if they'd still do that. Mountain Equipment said they would fix the zip on a jacket of theirs I had, but only if I had proof of purchase, which I didn't. The Seam Grip is much easier, and just as effective as a professional repair, although it probably won't look as good. I've successfully used it to repair waterproof jackets and overtrousers, gaiters, an Ortlieb map case and a giant inflatable trampoline.
OP Denni 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Guy Hurst:

Thanks agan for all the replies folks, much appreciated.
Bought some seam grip today so will give that a bash.
In reply to Denni:

Here's a potential alternative method, although I'm not sure how suitable it would be in your case, since the damage sounds quite extensive, and my article is really aimed at cuts & tears.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/hill-skills/how-to-repair-torn-waterproofs/650...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...