UKC

Kiruna - seeking knowledge!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ali_colquhoun 16 Dec 2014
Hi all,

I'm heading up to Kiruna in Northern Sweden over new year. I was wondering if anyone on here has any knowledge of travelling there, good places to stay and so on. Thanks!

Ali
 jwi 17 Dec 2014
In reply to ali_colquhoun:

The Ice hotel is well worth visiting.

There is some ice climbing around Abisko (and in other places), but it may be *cold*.
 TobyA 17 Dec 2014
For the ice climbing in that area see http://kiwiclimber.se/iceclimbing/ and download his free pdf guide, which is great. The climbing at abisko is very user friendly and non-committing compared to over the border in Norway, just be careful crossing the ice bridge in the river to get to the routes on the other side of the canyon (you could just walk further along the main road over the road bridge and ab down from the crash barriers or a tree. Some pics http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/search.html?text=Abisko
Post edited at 15:55
 HeMa 17 Dec 2014

Tour in the mines isn't bad either.
 hang_about 17 Dec 2014

You can see the Northern lights in Abisko - take the cable car up at night to the 'Sky Station'
http://www.auroraskystation.se/en/live/

The local lodge does husky tours and snow mobile rides.
 Paul Evans 17 Dec 2014

Not only can you see the Northern Lights from Abisko, it's one of the most reliable places in Northern Europe to see them as the mountains to the SW mean that it gets clear skies more often than almost anywhere else. Spent 7 nights there in Feb 13 and had clear skies and aurora on 5 nights. You can stay cheap-ish at the STF mountain hostel. Not necessary to take the expensive ski lift to mountain top, you can get excellent views from the frozen lake for free. You need VERY warm clothing, temps can get as low as -30c. But an awesome experience.
PM me if you want any more details, especially about photographing aurora - I did a lot of research.
Paul
OP ali_colquhoun 18 Dec 2014

Thanks so much everyone!

Ali
 PeterBlackler 20 Dec 2014

Hi Ali,

Some random thoughts from a family trip to Abisko last January

- Kiruna has itself quite an industrial feel with it's mining history (see here www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26447507); although we didn't get to explore the outskirts where I'm sure there is some nice scenery, although if you can go further afield then your more likely to properly see the stunning Taiga landscape

- the truly surreal Ice Hotel is at Jukkasjärvi and you can (pay) and view the interior during the day - it's about a 20 minute bus ride from, Kiruna. They won't let you use your ice tools, but you can amuse yourself by reading the stupendous prices charged to the hotel guest for a snowshoe walk, dog sleigh or similar

- as outlined by other contributors here; the most obvious place to head to is Abisko. Either by train or bus - by car if your hiring (the winter roads look fine to drive on)

- the Mountain Station is a great place to stay
http://www.svenskaturistforeningen.se/en/Discover-Sweden/Facilities-and-act...
there is self catering available in the Keron chalet or (apparently) in the Nuolja Ski Hut

- there is a "Spar" type shop in other half of the village (Abisko Ostra) which is good value

- be aware of the really short daylight hours at this time of year...the arctic half light has a real charm but is dimpsy

- you'll see what might appear to be Munro type hills e.g those either side of the Lapporten (the "Lappish Gate" valley) but don't underestimate as they would be serious winter challenges and full winter touring gear or snowshoes to cross waist deep snow

- the ice climbs in the Abisko gorge are used by the Mountain Station for guest "ice climbing experiences", but the instructors seemed very friendly and welcoming

- seeing the lights is full glory as in the photographs is far from guaranteed. We saw a greenish glow and the odd flash, but still had a great time

Anyway all the best for your trip...feel free to ask if any further (partly informed) advice needed. I'd be interested to if you wanted to update this thread during or afterwards

Peter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...