UKC

Recommendations for base layers that are long in body?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stone_donkey 17 Dec 2014
Being tall(ish) and skinny I'm struggling to find base layers/thermal tops that stay tucked into trousers when climbing. Either they're a bit short in the body or are fine in length but too baggy in the chest. Other than 'man up and bulk out' does anyone have some useful recs for brands to look at. Doesn't need to be super technical, just something for wearing down the wall when it's a bit parky, or on grit in the spring/autumn. nothing alpine etc.
 Jimbo C 17 Dec 2014
In reply to Stone_donkey:

The reasonably priced merino base layers by trek mates and the like that are sold in boxes might fit the bill. I was always a bit hesitant to buy clothing in a box because you can't try it in, but they are pretty good and fairly snug fitting.
 llanberis36 17 Dec 2014

I have had a wildstripes one for ages and really good have a look on their website
 JohnnyW 17 Dec 2014

I am different to you in shape, in that I am stocky, but have a long back. I have struggled with this problem of short shirts for ever, so when I do find something, I snap them up.

The latest find was actually in Go-Outdoors, their North Ridge Sprint cheapy base layers. Excellent, keep their shape in the wash, and are as good as any much dearer ones imo.
 dek 17 Dec 2014

I've had the same problem with some of those branded climbing type tops.
Nike dri-fit for running etc from TkMaxx and sport shoes. Com. Longer in the body, and just as good as base layers, or mid weight.
 Fraser 17 Dec 2014

I have two from Decathlon which are great, being long in both the body and the arms. Very warm too. I think their own brand ones are 'Wedze', or something like that.
 LastBoyScout 17 Dec 2014

Patagonia - got one of their base layer tops and it's very long in the body for the width. Got mine in TK Maxx.

Try looking at cycling base layers - they're usually longer in the back for exactly that reason.
 LastBoyScout 17 Dec 2014
In reply to Fraser:

> I have two from Decathlon which are great, being long in both the body and the arms. Very warm too. I think their own brand ones are 'Wedze', or something like that.

I'm like you with long arms - I've got a Decathlon running top which is fine in the body, but short in the arms, although I think it's one of their Kalenji range.
 Oujmik 17 Dec 2014

I have some Puma base layers which are very long in the body. I don't think they make the exact model anymore, but they cut looks the same as this:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/puma-pb-core-short-sleeve-t-shirt-mens-459015?c...

I have a short back, so everything seems long on me... But thinking about items that are unusually long, I remember this:

http://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/109890-peter-storm-mens-merino-zip-base-layer-...

Yes, I know it's 'Peter Storm', but they were previously sold under Blacks' 'Technicals' range, just rebranded for some reason, and the merino is rather nice ('The Merino Company'; earlier incarnations used MAPP merino, as used by Arc'teryx...). £50 was inappropriate for the PS market sector, but they're reduced to £25, or £20 for the crew neck version.

Decathlon stuff is cut pretty slim, so probably worth a look. I like their Techwinter 500 thick base layers; an Arc'teryx feel at a Decathlon price. Wrote a review for their website last night...

The longest base layers? North Cape Rhovyl Therm, now long defunct...
 jimjimjim 17 Dec 2014

I paddle a bit and use an excellent base layer by Craft. It's very long in the cut and never rides up. Marsport sell them.
OP Stone_donkey 04 Jan 2015
Just to come back with what I found: I ended up getting one of these Columbia ones - nice and long in the body and a snug (but not tight) fit in the torso. Makes my Berghaus one feel like a crop-top...

http://www.columbia.com/mens-baselayer-midweight-ii-long-sleeve-top-1560661...
 Gromit :D 04 Jan 2015

Craft thermals are really long in arms and body. They've got a scooped back and seem to not ride up at all so keeps your back toasty. They pop up on sportpursuit every now and again and are on wiggle a bit cheaper than the rrp.
In reply to Gromit :

I'm 6'3" and ape like. I bought some by White Rock, never heard of them before. But they're decent, warm and they are plenty long enough, even in the arm
 Zgemba 04 Jan 2015

Craft has the best fit for tall and slim IMHO.

I got some through Sportpursuit- Janus (don't laugh).
I'm 6'2" 15 stone, long back, they fit well but are oversized, so I should have gone L rather than XL.
Might work for you?
 John Cooke 04 Jan 2015

Icebreaker merino is by far the best I've found and is long and stretchy. Not cheap so buy in the sales.
 redscotti 05 Jan 2015
Surprised no one's mentioned the R1 hoodie - good length for tucking into - and keeping in -trousers.

If you were a woman, I've just spotted this base layer at Decathlon, which looks incredibly long in the body...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ski-base-layer-top-id_8321980.html

Can't seem to find the men's equivalent, though...

If you were a woman, I've just spotted this base layer at Decathlon, which looks incredibly long in the body...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ski-base-layer-top-id_8321980.html

Can't seem to find the men's equivalent, though...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...