UKC

Interstellar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Graeme G 18 Dec 2014
Finally got time to see this the other day. Have to say it's one of the few films I would go back to the cinema to see again. Ay some points a bit crap, in others just stunning (Matt Damon trying to dock with the Endurance - edge of the seat and a very audible gasp from some bloke down the front of the cinema).

I know it gets mixed reviews from some but for me definitely highly recommended.
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:
I thought it was pretty good.

Again like you I thought a few bits were simply not necessary and other bits jaw dropping.

It seemed like a mix of a few different films , such as 2001 and black hole.

I thought Tars and Kipp were brilliant.

M
Post edited at 11:58
 The New NickB 18 Dec 2014

I enjoyed it, a real visual feast and the time differential and betrayal strands to the story were really interesting. Spoiler alert!

The inter-dimensional communication element, I.e. The scenes behind the bookcase, didn't quite work for me.
Graeme G 18 Dec 2014
In reply to MGC:

> I thought Tars and Kipp were brilliant.

Agree. I think that was one aspect i really liked, it didn't try to explain the technology.....it just existed. Despite all the grandeur and sci-fi the people were at the heart of the story.

Oh, just reading back up about the film and it was Tars and Case.

Kipp was none functioning .

Also the Idea of Bulk beings and Brane cosmology is fascinating .

M

Spoilers below

I don't know, I thought the attempt at realism was a bit token and broke down about half way through the film.

The first half required a huge rocket with many sections to break free from earth's gravity, and then it took two years to get to the weird wormhole thing. Once through the wormhole they seemed to be able to nip between planets and take off as if the space ship was a plane (on a similar gravity planets to earth). There was some attempt to deal with the time thing, since he became younger than his daughter, but the space travel once through the wormhole was back to the good old Star Trek style.
Also, when he was floating at the end, what are the chances of him actually being found? That isn't finding a needle in a haystack, that is finding a needle on a planet.

Alan
Graeme G 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Spoiler alert!!!

That pretty much sums up the stuff that was a bit crap. There was a lot that was very much standard actiony type sci-fi film and i do think it could probably have been a lot better. That said i still think if you suspend your disbelief in the science (which god only knows you need to in most films nowadays) the human element shines through.

The docking sequence following finding Matt Damon was outstanding. McConnaughey's character really captured the essence of heroism IMO, the sequence just got more and more tense.

I also liked how the other planets were believable. If we were caught in a similar situation we would still breath and talk and interact, albeit in a completely alien environment. I don't know why but the film seemed not to get caught up in the sci-fi yet was completely driven by it.

Might go and see it again with the missus but not sure it's her kind of thing....although 164 minutes of Mcconnaughey might just keep her going....

Papercraft models of the robots Tars, Case and Kipp

http://progue.co/paperstellar/

Big Steve 18 Dec 2014

The first time saw it, I didnt enjoy it much. I went again last weekend as my wife wanted to see it, and it was definitely better the second time around

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...