UKC

cracked window

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 buzby 18 Dec 2014
well following in the age old tradition of seeking DIY advice on a climbing site here's my question folks, some little toe rag threw a stone at my front double glazed window last night and broke the outer pane. its got a large chip almost all the way through with a 4 inch crack running either way.
Now I guess it would normally be insurance and a replacement section of glass but all the windows are getting replaced next spring as part of a renovation so what im after is a way of stopping the crack getting any worse so it can stay in place till next year.
I was thinking just filling and covering with some clear silicone but any pressure on the window is expanding the crack to the point where if anyone leant hard against it would probably go altogether .
any ideas that would be better than silicon.
thanks .
 Stevie989 18 Dec 2014
In reply to buzby:

Local Authorities usually patch windows with a heavy duty sticky film (clear is).

Stops the glas from all falling in and in theory seals the crack.

I wouldn't know where you find that sort of thing though… Glaziers?
 Rob Naylor 18 Dec 2014
In reply to buzby:

I've used this:

http://www.seton.co.uk/safety-window-film-roll.html?gclid=COLd8tXQz8ICFbMat...

But not sure how it would work on a window that's already cracked and unable to take any pressure without furher cracking, as it requires a bit of pressure to install.
 Billhook 18 Dec 2014
In reply to buzby:

What about contacting one of the auto glazing repair companies?? The repairs they do to car windscreens is invisible. Can';t see the difference in repairing your windows.
5tormin' 18 Dec 2014
In reply to buzby:

Try Wickes secondary double glazing film, cover whole pane, apply hot air to shrink.
Should prevent cracks extending.
 jimjimjim 18 Dec 2014
In reply to buzby:

Use owt....who give a flying one if you're going to replace them. You sound boring
 jkarran 19 Dec 2014
In reply to buzby:

You wont stop the crack growing with tape or glue, if it wants to keep going it will. The tape will at best keep the weather out (as will the intact inner glass) and the glass in place if it splinters (unlikely). If you want to stop the crack could drill out the ends of it but there's a fair chance it won't work and the tools would probably cost more than a new pane of glass.

Personally given it's going in spring anyway I'd pretend it never happened and leave it alone.

jk
OP buzby 19 Dec 2014
In reply to jkarran:

thanks for the replies all , apart from jim jim jim, who looks and sound like a grumpy old bastard. I may be boring as you say but I was only asking for advice not for a date you old fud.
 Jimbo C 20 Dec 2014
In reply to buzby:

You could risk leaving it alone. You could try some clear film or you could fix a rigid sheet in front of it (clear acrylic if you want to keep vision or just a cheap timber board if not)
 Neil Williams 20 Dec 2014
In reply to Jimbo C:

Not necessarily advice as it's probably harder to do with a domestic window, but the railway usually (carefully) knocks out the outer panel then sticks sticky-backed plastic to the inner panel.

Neil
 gethin_allen 20 Dec 2014
In reply to buzby:
Where is the window on your property? Anywhere near paths of places any member of the public could ever possibly go? Even by a long stretch of the imagination. If so, you absolutely have to do something about it. If it were to go and it injured someone you could end up in the sh!t. I'd try the sticky back plastic method.
Have a look on eBay item120738127024
Post edited at 11:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...