UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Rjukan - The Power of Water

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 19 Dec 2014
Rjukan: The Power of Water, 3 kbTonight's Friday Night Video features the Norwegian town of Rjukan, once believed to be the home of the world's tallest waterfall, the Rjukanfossen.

At 104m high, the waterfall was used to generate electricity through a series of power plants, which became synonymous with this region of Norway. Today, people are still drawn to the waterfalls of Rjukan but for a different purpose - to climb the falls in their frozen state whilst appreciating the wealth of history surrounding them.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69387
 Bouldering Ben 19 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

World's tallest waterfall at 104m? It's not even the tallest in Norway!
 AymanC 20 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Nicely put together video with the history and all.
Shame about the digital B&W, low latitude correction just hurts the eyes
 mcgovern 20 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Boring! Why have climbing videos gone so soft lately. We want some shots of hard moves, sketchy run outs and big falls! Enough of this philosophy bulls**t...
 ablackett 20 Dec 2014
In reply to mcgovern:

I enjoyed it, I learned something about the area and the climbing. Some nice shots.
In reply to UKC News:

Great vid. I've fond memories of Rjukan.
In reply to ablackett:

The video gently skipped over the bit where the british army had to invade the power plant due to it producing heavy water for Hitler. But that's not a major part in Rjukans history at all..

Tend to agree with Mcgovern though, show us the the scary stuff!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Nice understated vid - I thought the B & W worked well,

Chris
 wiwwim 20 Dec 2014
In reply to The Green Giant:

It seems like a tourism promotion video, therefore does not want to alienate anyone and takes a softly softly approach with the history and climbing. (I guess)
ole_p 20 Dec 2014

It was not exactly the British army. It was a lightweight expedition of about 10 Norwegian soldiers. They were dropped off by the RAF in the middle of the mountains. Then they did ski to Rjukan and sabotaged the power-station.

Regards
Ole Petter
 Paul Troon 21 Dec 2014
In reply to ole_p:

i liked it and want to go

paul
In reply to ole_p:

Knew they were Norwegian, thought they had been officially recruited by the British army?
 mattrm 22 Dec 2014

> Knew they were Norwegian, thought they had been officially recruited by the British army?

They were trained by the SOE. There were three different operations, with the final one, being the successful one. The first was Operation Grouse which placed four Norwegian SOE operatives on the ground in October 1942. In November 1942, Operation Freshman was a glider-borne assault which comprised of two gliders, with 2 pilots and 15 Royal Engineers. Both gliders crashed and all personnel either died in the crashes or were executed by the Gestapo (and to be fair to the Wehrmacht they tried to prevent this) under Hitler's Commando Order. Finally in February 1943 Operation Gunnerside dropped six extra Norwegian commandos who found the Grouse (Swallow) team and that team conducted the successful raid on the plant, which stopped production for several months and destroyed all the heavy water created so far. That raid and the subsequent bombing of the plant by the USAAF meant that in 1944 the plant was abandoned. Also despite the Germans scouring the area with 3000 troops all the commandos got away. 5 skiied 400 miles to Sweden, 4 stayed in the local area and 2 went to Milborg.
 GarethSL 22 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

i posted this a while agp to no interest, but here it is again. i imagine the series can be found with english subtitles when it is out.

http://www.nrk.no/kultur/forste-sniktitt-pa-_kampen-om-tungtvannet_-1.12044...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...