UKC

Calling all those whom have had operations - post op pain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Morning all.

I had this procedure done three weeks ago - http://lloydrelease.com/procedure/ and for the first week I suffered from normal discomfort following an operation and to this day still have pain in my lower abdomen where the ligament was released.

All was going well until this week when on Tuesday I started to get some really strange sensations at the site of the incisions which when you look at the diagram are level with my navel, one actually at my navel and one at each side about 10-15cm from my navel. This developed rapidly to what I feel now which I can only describe as stabbing or sharp pain, mainly at the right side but they sometime go across to the left. This happens almost always when i stand and sit, move around and when I walk. It is restricting my movement and activities right now which is starting to frustrate.

Mostly its at an annoying level but, quite often, it come on really strong and takes my breath away. On Thursday evening I had to leave my Xmas party early as it was so bad and it even brought me to tears which is very unusual as i have a decent pain threshold. It doesnt seem to be subsiding now although it isnt getting worse.

Ive spoken to my surgeon and he was quite dismissive really and asked me to contact him after Xmas if its still there.

So for those whom have had procedures is this quite a normal reaction. I dont think its an infection as the wound are perfectly healed now and there isnt swelling or soreness superficially. It feels very nervy. Perhaps its scar tissue building up which is tightening or something else is at play. I have taken paracetamol/ibuprofen but that hasnt helped and I still have some cocodamol left from the op but that makes me feel sick and spaced out so I dont want that.

Have others of this Shire had anything similar? Would calling NHS direct be useful?

Ive had pain for well over a year now and just when i thought I had found respite, this starts, which is very frustrating to say the least.

Richard
Post edited at 10:34
 joan cooper 20 Dec 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I had an op earlier this year not for that but had no unusual or annoying pain after I would go to A and E and say you are in agony and get an x Ray PDQ Any discomfort should be kept under control with paracetamol so see someone..

deacondeacon 20 Dec 2014
In reply to joan cooper:

You shouldn't expect to be in agony when at home. If it really is close to being unbareable get to A&E for X-rays and tests. That's what they're there for.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I'll see how i get on over the next coupke of days. Not entirely keen on going to a and e as they are too much under pressure at this time of year.
 Dave Williams 20 Dec 2014

There's a chance it could be nerve pain as a result of the surgery, which may explain your surgeon's attitude. I believe it's called post-surgical neuralgia. If it is that, it's not unusual. I was on a narcotic based pain reliever for 5+ months after surgery on my lower leg due to severe neuralgia. Nerves regenerate for up to a year but my pain gradually eased though as time went on but even now, years later, I still have occasional pain (a debilitating burning sensation which comes from nowhere) which I manage with analgesics.

As others have said, best to seek reassurance (earlier rather than later) if it continues to worry you though.

HTH

Dave

JayPee630 20 Dec 2014
In reply to Dave Williams:
Don't call NHS Direct, 100% they'll send an ambulance for you. Go to A&E yourself now, don't wait a few days.
Post edited at 13:12
Firstly, if you at all concerned get it checked out, and the sooner the better for safety.

That said in my case four years post major bowel op and I still get pains for no obvious reason. Come and go, some times fleeting, sometimes last days with often months between episodes and I even get pain at different points along the scar line that comes and goes.

I remember after the op things settled well and then these sporadic aches and pains started. Initially I was worried, but having had my remaining bowel checked out, I just accepted it and put it down to scar tissue and random nerve pain.

You need to have someone with medical knowledge to explain if this is normal with your op as that is the only sure way for knowing whether just to ignore in future.

I would get it checked out with a GP, but wouldn't panic.

If it's all 3 of the skin/muscle incisions it's unlikely to be infection but more likely something happening with the healing process. And if it's only the incisions that are painful an X-ray wouldn't tell you anything at all. Blood samples might confirm there's no infection and possibly an ultrasound scan to confirm there's no fluid buildup at the incision sites, but again, it's unlikely all 3 would be affected in the same way if there was infection.

At this point post op the strength of the dissolvable sutures under the incisions is decreasing, and the sutures are starting to dissolve. This transfers the tension from the suture onto the strengthening scar tissue and I would suspect this process may be causing the pain, and that it will decrease as time goes by.

Get it checked though. You shouldn't be in so much pain that it's restricting your activity.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...