UKC

rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 21 Dec 2014
AT a party last night I was approached by a woman who knew that I climbed. She is involved in textile research and asked me if I knew about a rope she was reading about the development of approx 15 years ago. The rope changed colour if it was subjected to major strain which could be of interest to us, has anyone heard about this product?
In reply to Removed User:

I can't see what the rope changing colour would tell you that the feeling of deceleration doesn't. You would know if you'd taken a significant fall because you'd be on either end of it at the time - unless you'd lent it someone, that is!

needvert 21 Dec 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

I don't know what a fall severe enough to retire a rope feels like.
 Purple 21 Dec 2014

Yup, a few years ago some outfit or other marketed a 'bruising' rope. The maker might have been called 'Cairngorm'. Could be wrong about that though. It didn't catch on. Sure someone will be along soon who remembers more.
In reply to needvert:

my point is: if you experience such a fall, it will be obvious one should check their rope after it. I suspect not many people will ever experience it as It's not very common to be pulling a FF2 fall!
 John Kelly 22 Dec 2014
what about a rope that would respond visually to chemical attack which is a small but realistic risk

not sure ropes ever break without being cut even during FF2 moments
Post edited at 10:19
In reply to John Kelly:

> what about a rope that would respond visually to chemical attack which is a small but realistic risk

> not sure ropes ever break without being cut even during FF2 moments

Indeed they don't. they would fail UIAA tests if they snapped after a single fall of FF. 1.77
 John Kelly 22 Dec 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

> Indeed they don't. they would fail UIAA tests if they snapped after a single fall of FF. 1.77

not sure ropes ever break without being cut

is that better?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...