UKC

A mile a day for 50 years

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goose299 22 Dec 2014
Fairly impressive feat from Ron Hill

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-30556306
Ste Brom 22 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:

But he'll never be forgiven for tracksters.
Clauso 22 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:

Fairly impressive!?!... I'd class it as a very impressive achievement, myself.

... God knows that I've attempted, and failed, to run every day this month - for the Advent Running challenge - let alone every day for 50 years. I'm now having to finish with a series of double-session days, that see me out before work and then again after work, in order to scrape 25 runs in 25 days. I blame beer for this situation.
 robert-hutton 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Clauso:

The BBC review doesn't give the full picture of how he inspired loads of people to take up running with his two books and how he dominated distance running back in the 70's.
Ste Brom 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Clauso:

Get outta town! You've started running again?
 The New NickB 22 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:
It's considerably more than a mile a day, at least a mile a day, at times he was running 160 miles a week.

I've run with Ron many times over the last few years. Got admire a man who was truly world class (2:09 marathon 45 years ago) still racing in his 70s despite age hitting his times much more than many others his age and finishing not just well down the field, but well down his age classification.
Post edited at 11:01
 steveriley 22 Dec 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I don't really get star-struck but I was lining up next to him at the Staffs Christmas Cracker one year over the Roaches and realised it was him. I grinned and probably said something fairly inane
 Clarence 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

> But he'll never be forgiven for tracksters.

Are you kidding? Tracksters are the best! I am wearing a pair of Treks from the 90s right now.

Impressive running feat and tracksters, the man is a legend.
In reply to Clarence:

Even Ron doesn't wear tracksters any more!
 Clarence 22 Dec 2014

Yeah well, I don't run as far as he does so mine last longer...
Clauso 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

> Get outta town! You've started running again?

Afraid so. It's murder... I've not got to anywhere near the sort of distances that you cover - let alone getting anywhere close to feeling any compulsion to enter a marathon on a frozen Lake Baikal! - but I've been plodding along, for the past few months, with vague ambitions of getting involved with the local fell running scene next year.
Ste Brom 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Clauso:

Get in there! Might have to join ya, been doing a few tentative forays into the glyders of late for my hill work, signed up for a few hilly marathons (faroe islands being one, Ron Hill did it a few years ago) so need to get cracking.

That said, no frills handy for the hills, that's the way you spell New Mills! Top spot for it I'd say.
 Al Evans 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

It should be pointed out, if you read both vols of his autobiography that to keep this 'streak' going he hobbled round the ward on crutches when he was in hospital so 'running' is a loose term in this context. It also shows a certain obsession with 'the streak' rather than actually training.
In reply to Al Evans:

> It should be pointed out, if you read both vols of his autobiography that to keep this 'streak' going he hobbled round the ward on crutches when he was in hospital so 'running' is a loose term in this context. It also shows a certain obsession with 'the streak' rather than actually training.

Clearly the streak could only last this long with that sort of obsession, he was pretty obsessed with training as well.
 Michael Hood 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Al Evans: I suspect the "mile every day" is a bit of journalistic exaggeration as I doubt he did a mile whilst in hospital - recovering from heart surgery wasn't it.

Still mega impressive/obsessive.
In reply to Michael Hood:

That was the standard he set himself, originally it was at least 2 miles a day, but I suspect it was reduced to 1 mile because that was all he could do in hospital.
OP goose299 22 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:

I'm still impressed regardless
 Al Evans 23 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:

I'm still impressed by him too, though for his acheivements which speak for themselves rather than his 'streak', he is still probably the best marathon runner the UK has ever had.
 wbo 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Al Evans: no way!

I'm amazed at how a reputedly clever bloke could blow his obvious abilities by being almost continually overtrained. As well as a few good marathons there is a ton of rubbish where he admits to being massively tired and never recovering, so the obvious step is to up the milage. Have you ever looked at his race history? Look in Noakes Lore of Running

And i thought his book was awful as well. A testament to underachievment

The New NickB 23 Dec 2014
In reply to wbo:

He won Boston, the Commonwealth and European Championship marathons, as well as many other race victories and the marathon WR. OK, never did it at the Olympics, but that was as much about events out of his control (altitude in Mexico, schedule change in Munich after the terrorist attack).

He experimented with training and settled on a weekly mileage, which is hardly out of the ordinary by modern standards, of course he also had a full time job. He did not have the benefit of the science and support we have now, knowing him, I know he would have taken advantage of it if it had been available.

I think your critisism is pretty mean spirited.
 wbo 23 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299: Perhaps. But i would still advise you to read Noakes comments on Ron Hill. i don't know why he didn't spot the problem in his training - others at the time did.

I note you state he set a WR , which requires you to disqualify Derek Claytons. Claytons book 'Run to the top' is a very good read

The New NickB 23 Dec 2014
In reply to wbo:

I think both Clayton's runs in 67 and 69 fall foul of the distinction between WR and WL, because course specifics. But I take your point on that. Clayton of course performed as badly in the Olympics as Hill did.
Very strange comments from wbo, I wish I could underachieve like that.
 Tim Sparrow 23 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:

I am also wearing a pair of tricksters right now! I am a man of the 80s though.
 Banned User 77 25 Dec 2014

They reckon most olympians are at peat fitness two weeks after the olympics.. when they finally properly take time off.. as they often train too hard too late, too short a taper.. so its nothing new and an oft repeated issue..

The beauty of the marathon is there is almost always a what if? I doubt anyone walks away from their time marathoning thinking they didn't have another 1,2-3 minutes somewhere.. better trained, less wind, better course, stronger field, better taper, some injury, some minor illness... missed gel.. there's almost always something you can say why it ant the perfect run for you.

I don't find his running streak that impressive tbh.. but that's the sort of thing we now get enthralled by as anyone can it.. it's like guys who run 30-40-50 marathons a year, all poorly or at best mediocre.. get more attention that the guy who works a full time job running 2:20-2:25 marathons once a year, sub-elite.. possibly small sponsorship at most...

Yet run x ultra's x number of marathons and suddenly you're a running celebrity..

Don't get me wrong I love his enthusiasm for the sport and the willingness to still compete but not the actual run streak tbh.. I'd be more impressed with running 2000+ miles a year every year, rather than 365 miles in a year just no days off..
 deepsoup 25 Dec 2014
In reply to IainRUK:
> I'd be more impressed with running 2000+ miles a year every year, rather than 365 miles in a year just no days off..

According to that BBC article he's logged 160,000 miles, so that's an average of 3200 per year over 50 years (as well as the 'no days off' thing).
In reply to goose299:

Ran a couple of laps round the village playing fields way back in the 70's

He was guest of honour, opening the village show.

Came across as a really nice chap and inspirational to a young, aspiring runner.
 The New NickB 25 Dec 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

The streak is only impressive because he was a sub 14 5ker and 50 years later he is still running every day as sub 30 5ker, most top athletes stop when they cannot compete.

Exactly.. I love that.. I'm actually keen to race more once I stop competing so much..

I reckon I'm at 40,000-50,000 miles..

In reply to IainRUK:

That's some reckoning, you may have run 10,000 miles further that you have!
In reply to John Simpson:

Probably an under estimation by many thousands..

8300 in the last 2 years.

I've ran 2000 plus miles since 2006 adding 2-300 miles per year.. Before that I ranmost days anyway.. So 9 years at at least 3000+ a year..

I started runing when I was 10, bits earlier, but by 14-15 was running 5-6 days a week, 3-5 miles.. The odd long run of 8-12 miles.. 22 ran my first ultra.. 24 ran many ultras and started fell racing..

I'd be in that region... Probably more.. But I don't care too much.. I log miles ran to see what works..

Likewise I've no idea how many sub 3 hour marathons.. Just my current PR.. That's all that matters..
adamtc 25 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:

No denying he's a legend but the young lady in the background is the star of that photo for me!
 Al Evans 27 Dec 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Iain, I suspect a lot of the people replying to this thread are not distance runners themselves. Most true distance runners consider the marathon entry level, a sprint almost. Ron Hill sort of bridged the gap between people like Don Ritchie and 'real' long distance runners, I think they competed head to head on a few occaisions.
Hill was the Sprinter, Ritchie had the stamina.
 Indy 27 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:

> Fairly impressive feat from Ron Hill

Sorry but this comes across as a bit Meh!

I find this far more inspirational
http://yumkerun.blogspot.ca/2014/11/i-ran-every-day-for-365-days-heres-what...
 The New NickB 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Indy:
So what you are saying is Ron needs to forget this running every day for 50 years, winning Boston, Commonwealth, European and numerous other international marathons and write a nice blog about running every day for a year.

I'll mention it next time I see him.

Actually Ron does write a Blog, but anyone who has read it will tell you, it reads like it has been written by a retired material scientist from Accrington.
Post edited at 16:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...