UKC

Inspiration required - new car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 22 Dec 2014
I already have the best car I the world (Octavia estate, obviously) but next year I think I am going to be doing stupid mileage and rather fancy something a bit more powerful and more comfortable for really long journeys.

I'm looking for inspiration really, something low mileage 2nd hand probably. Would prefer something quite good on mpg of course, but you can't have it all. Can't face another BMW, never really fancied a Merc, maybe a Lexus... c'mon someone, inspire and motivate me to splash some cash!
KevinD 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Westfield Classic.
This might not be an entirely sensible suggestion.
Graeme G 22 Dec 2014

Octavia VRs?

ripper 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

chipped Octavia VRs?
 sxrxg 22 Dec 2014

Vauxhall Insignia VXR Sports Tourer? Supercharged V6, 321bhp, 4 wheel drive, 5.9sec 0-60mph. Exciting however it will be expensive to run...
 Dr.S at work 22 Dec 2014

I'm very happy with my 1.0vvti Aygo......
 dan_the_dingo 22 Dec 2014

It's hard to better the Octavia but how about a Volvo V70, not quite the same mpg as the Octavia but the half dozen V70's I've had from hire companies this year have had the power and been really comfortable to drive, and i'm a big fan of the adaptive cruise control option.
Graeme G 22 Dec 2014

If you're going to drive a lot of miles, a motorway muncher is the way to go. I drive C220 CDi AMG Sport Auto. 170BHP and 295 lb/ft torque. Unvelievably smooth and enough power to overtake pretty much anything it needs to. Plus with careful driving 57 mpg. Crap in the snow but i can't recommend it enough.
 BnB 22 Dec 2014
The Porsche Panamera Diesel is your only choice. Practical hatchback design delivers mile murdering intent. And I've found a black one for you on the approved locator for only £44,000. Mind you, there's a little white beauty still under £70,000 so you might as well go for the newer, white one and get as many wedding invites as you can muster
Post edited at 19:56
 TMM 22 Dec 2014

Audi A7 Sportback (or really it's a 5dr hatchback styled to look like a grand coupe)
Looks great. Very, very comfortable in SE spec. Loads of kit.
Depending on your bias towards economy or performance the V6TDI is either 201, 245 or 313PS with a lovely S-Tronic autobox on the 245 and 313. The two more powerful options also offer 4WD drive as standard. Economy is between 35mpg and 60mpg.
 gethin_allen 22 Dec 2014
Jaguar xkr. Lovely.

Or more sensibly the 3 litre diesel version.
Oops, I mean the XF /r obviously.
Post edited at 20:15
 Dave Williams 22 Dec 2014

Pervious model Audi A6 2.7 V6 Tdi quattro with tiptronic semi-auto gearbox.

Good compromise between power and economy. Driven sensibly on a Mway - 50+ mpg, fast backroads 35-45mpg. Understated, classic Audi design with superb build quality and much better built than an A4 (think smaller A8). Extremely comfortable over long distances with excellent seats. The arch-typical motorway mile-muncher and the permanent 4wd gives amazing levels of grip in both the wet and the dry.

Best car I've ever owned and I'd replace it with another in a heartbeat. If you don't need the space or versatility, then like-for-like a used saloon is much cheaper than an avant. Might be worth a look and a possible test drive at the very least.
 BnB 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Dave Williams:

The OP asked for inspiration not an appliance. And that goes for any other Audis too.

Jag was a good call. Only car I've ever kept for more than 5 years.
 TMM 22 Dec 2014
In reply to BnB:

So why is a 'Jag' less of an 'appliance' than an Audi.
Do you think that JLR's Indian owners add something that the VAG group don't?
Jaguar has a wonderful heritage but I would prefer to pay for tangible engireering and design rather than misty eyed sentiment.
Still, takes all sorts.
 BnB 22 Dec 2014
In reply to TMM:

I would guess you haven't driven an XKR then? I'm not a Jag fan generally, but I did have an XKR for a five year period up to about a decade ago and though it wasn't the best engineered car, it turned motorway driving into something an Audi could never hope to match, competent though they doubtless are. VAG make excellent vehicles but comfort is not their strongest suit.
 Timmd 22 Dec 2014

With it being only inspiration you're after ()

This is the comfiest car I've ever travelled in as a passenger, comfier than my Dad's current BMW estate, and than his Mercedes company car he had, and his old Audi too,

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C540474#

80 mph feels like it's about 45...
 Timmd 22 Dec 2014
Whatever car you buy, cloth is always comfier than leather, in how it doesn't get really hot in the sun's heat, and perhaps not as cold either.
Post edited at 23:35
 Timmd 22 Dec 2014

Here's an Honest John thread.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=72000

Somebody I know recently found that his cruise control allows him to drift off more readily than in the car he had before, without it. I wonder if it can be disengaged in some cars?
 Timmd 22 Dec 2014

You wouldn't think I was an eco-mentalist, how about a Phaeton? They're ment to be very plush and smooth.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/volkswagen/phaeton
 Roguevfr 23 Dec 2014

> Somebody I know recently found that his cruise control allows him to drift off more readily than in the car he had before, without it. I wonder if it can be disengaged in some cars?
You wonder? You mean you think it's on all the time?

Run_Ross_Run 23 Dec 2014

Skoda yeti elegance.
Nuff said
Budget?

felt 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> If you're going to drive a lot of miles, a motorway muncher is the way to go. I drive C220 CDi AMG Sport Auto. 170BHP and 295 lb/ft torque. Unvelievably smooth and enough power to overtake pretty much anything it needs to.

If you're going to get a Merc you might as well get an SL 63 AMG, to be honest.
 Tom Valentine 23 Dec 2014
In reply to BnB:
I think I can appreciate a beautiful looking car as well as most, so it puzzles me why so many pundits slate the Panamera for being ugly.
Chris Harris does a good You Tube review on why the Panamera Diesel is as fast a car as you'll ever need.
Post edited at 07:27
 TMM 23 Dec 2014
In reply to BnB:

Sadly I will have to refute you guess, I have actually driven an XKR in both coupe and convertible form.

No doubt that the power is fairly intoxicating but the car is rather redolent of old men, indeed the only XK owners I know are all over 70. Remarkable to create a car of such considerable external size and have so little space for the occupants and their luggage, perhaps that is what makes them inspirational?

You might have noticed in my first post that I suggested the A7 in SE spec which provides a much more compliant and cossetting ride, you should try it some time.

You've not actually said why a 'Jag' is not an 'appliance' but an Audi is?
 TMM 23 Dec 2014

Come on Rob, we're all trying to help but you need to narrow down your search criteria so we fix this for you by Christmas.

How many people do you need to transport?
Luggage requirements (dogs, skis, pushchairs, 2 weeks of climbing kit for 4 people, etc...)?
Saloon, hatchback, coupe, convertible or estate?
Budget?
 Siward 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Indeed, Phaetons are prototype Bentleys, so I hear
 BnB 23 Dec 2014
In reply to TMM:

That will presumably be the newer version rather than the original that came out in 1999. The inferior replacement abandoned some of its virtues in order to compete with the mighty 911 and, like so many cars before, was sent packing with its tail between its legs. The original was no larger in the interior, but offered a sensuous and sporty coupe shell that made it popular with younger car fans. Michael Owen (not that I value the company of footballers but he fits a certain youthful profile) was an early adopter, as was I at the age of 34. I usually keep my cars for a year or two. I kept that Jag for six.

Like you, I don't like the later version, nor much of Jag's modern output, especially the Dubai-aimed XF.

Audis are efficient and reliable and some of them are comfortable, if you can avoid anything claiming to be sporty or s-line. They have superb interiors and competent if rather dull exteriors (except for the hideous A5 and the stunning but disappointing to drive R8) but none of them are designed for pure driving pleasure. For starters, none are rear wheel drive. You clearly know a thing or two about cars so you'll understand why that is important, and therefore why my first (budget no limit, tongue in cheek) recommendation was the Porsche Panamera. I might have suggested an M5 Touring but the OP said no to BMW. And comfort seemed to be a priority.

I haven't tried an A7 and I'm sure it is comfortable and coasting. But it isn't inspirational as a choice. Autocar praises it as a "rapid, luxurious, hi-tech and stylish cruiser" but lambasts "its inert handling and desensitised steering", which kind of sums up what I'm trying to say. The Phaeton recommended elsewhere on this thread is more inspirational for the crazy ambition of the car, a mass volume shopping car manufacturer building a Rolls Royce. Bonkers and therefore wonderful, and probably very cheap second hand.
 BnB 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Panamera fanciers have to keep a low profile in the face of much ill-aimed derision. Yet the car has more road presence than an articulated lorry. If Porsche brings out the rumoured estate version the proportions will be perfect and it'll suddenly be hailed as a triumph. The lack of a third rear seat is a handicap for families but the target ownership demographic already has a hideous Chelsea tractor for the school run. It's really a car for plutocrats to pretend they've put family first when choosing a sports coupe. I secretly love them but can't see what task they perform better than a real sports car or proper load carrier. As long as you can afford both
 TMM 23 Dec 2014
In reply to BnB:

An interesting and considered reply. I was actually referring to the 1996 Mk1 XK actually. A friend had the XKR convertible after lusting after it for while and was left underwhelmed. I also recall Michael Owen and Alan Shearer being given cars by Jaguar to help drive publicity during the launch.
I've always had a soft spot for the XJ of this era fitted with AJ8 (with or without the supercharger). It is such a classic three box shape and totally anachronistic when compared with its contemporaries.
With regard to the Audis I take your point regarding rwd. Where I live the benefit of 4wd outweighs the rare opportunities for getting real driving pleasure. My regular driving is mainly small mud/flood choked lanes and the dual carriageway and motorway. I made decision that what I wanted was a car that gave me a cuddle and insulated me from the daily commute and entertained on long runs to the airport or across Europe. My preference would have been a Panamera (I actually like the styling in the right colour) but my budget is not that rich. The A7 does 90% of what a Panamera does, arguably looks better, offers more luggage space, uses the same (diesel) engine and costs considerably less.
I considered a Phaeton as left field choice but I need a hatchback for occasional dog transportation needs. No doubt it is a technical tour de force and it Bentley for Focus money. If only it didn't look like Skoda Superb mk 1 scaled 1.2 which itself looks like a Passat scaled 1.1.
If we were having this conversation a couple of years ago the obvious choice would have been a Thema 8.32!
Graeme G 23 Dec 2014
In reply to felt:

> If you're going to get a Merc you might as well get an SL 63 AMG, to be honest.

Aye....in my dreams.......

If I was going to be doing loads of motorway mileage I would opt for a new Range Rover with the 4.4ltr diesel. I much prefer big luxury cars for long journeys.
In reply to BnB:

I think the Rapide S is a nicer looking car , no idea if its actually any better. One in my car park at work has two maxicosy seats in the back !
 BnB 23 Dec 2014
In reply to TMM:

Ah, the Thema. Now that would have been a good investment, although perhaps best left in the garage!

Isn't it annoying when matters of practicality and price interfere with emotional choices. But life is compromise. Our family car is a Subaru Legacy Estate Spec B, something of a grown up Impreza. It's an amazing load carrier with a legendary 4wd system (we live on the moors) and, being rally-bred, has fantastic handling. I'd recommend it to the OP as a complete practicality and performance bargain but it is neither particularly comfortable (away from the motorway) nor economical (anywhere).

After a long spell of sports car ownership I'm in a three box BMW (2 series) and I have to say it's a superb car for modern roads, immensely comfortable and very wieldy. Again, I'd recommend to the OP but BMWs are proscribed!
 obi-wan nick b 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Currently my Octavia vRS is in hospital and they still don't know what's wrong with it (keeps throwing itself into limp mode and they can't discover why - though I had to smile wryly to myself as it was still doing 85 in limp mode!) Skoda assist though have been brilliant initially they got me a Passat estate as a courtesy car and as time went on and my long booked trip to Germany approached they sourced me another vehicle with winter tyres fitted for the trip. This turned out out to be a Skoda Superb Elegance Estate; a bit less powerful and heavier than the vRS but not unreasonable at 170bhp - it managed a creditable 130 on the German autobahns and was very very comfortable for the 6 hours driving the other side of the tunnel. Probably not as much fun as my vRS (when working!) but definitely softer more comfortable suspension and seating... I will certainly consider one when I get a bit older

andy 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: I'm an incredibly low-mileage driver these days (car is 18 months old and has less than 11k on it), but when I was doing quite a lot of up and down the A1 the best gizmo I'd ever had was adaptive cruise control on a Volvo I had - it's got as radar thingy in the front so you set the speed and the distance from the car in front so it maintains that distance, slowing down and speeding up with the traffic - brilliant on the A1 when you can go from cruising at 80mph to crawling behind a line of cars as a lorry overtakes another one at a relative speed of 1mph.

Timmd 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Roguevfr:

> You wonder? You mean you think it's on all the time?

I was very tired yesterday, my brain was in my left big toe. ()
 rj_townsend 23 Dec 2014

Keep it in the family - go for a Superb estate...

The 4wd version looks rather tempting...
 Andy Farnell 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: I've never gone for Mercs, but the CLS shooting brake looks fabulous, and with the 3l diesel, should be fast enough.

Andy F

Timmd 23 Dec 2014
In reply to BnB:
> I haven't tried an A7 and I'm sure it is comfortable and coasting. But it isn't inspirational as a choice. Autocar praises it as a "rapid, luxurious, hi-tech and stylish cruiser" but lambasts "its inert handling and desensitised steering", which kind of sums up what I'm trying to say. The Phaeton recommended elsewhere on this thread is more inspirational for the crazy ambition of the car, a mass volume shopping car manufacturer building a Rolls Royce. Bonkers and therefore wonderful, and probably very cheap second hand.

Phaetons can be had for 5k and upwards, even a 4x4 model which surprised me. It almost reminds me of a modern day Vauxhall Senator. They were rated as being as nice as Mercedes and similar 'high brand' motorway cruisers by people like the Top Gear crew at the time. I've a soft spot for Senators as my Dad bought one very cheaply during a snowy February in around 94 when the car dealers were desperate to make a sale, and it was so nice he bought a second ex police one after the first was stolen. They were like floating along in a velvety cocoon. Phaetons are ment to have the same chassis as a model of Bentley. I think Rob should get a Phaeton...they're the Senator reincarnated. ()
Post edited at 11:39
 Fraser 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Timmd:

For some reason, I'd always thought the Phaeton was just a rebadged A8.
 butteredfrog 23 Dec 2014
In reply to andy farnell:

Mercs all drive like they are made of wood though. Everything seems to feel "disconnected" from the switchgear down to the accelerator pedal. Don't get me wrong (with the exception of the old 190 Cosworth) they are supreme motorway machines, just wooden feeling.
 Timmd 23 Dec 2014
Try and think about the 'greenness' of your prospective purchase, Rob, amongst the seductive pulls of luxury and performance.
Post edited at 12:10
 RedFive 23 Dec 2014
In reply to butteredfrog:

Don't know what Merc you have been driving but my current ride of choice is a 2 year old C220 Estate AMG Sport. Note not a real AMG, just denotes body kit but at 170 bhp, in Auto it suits my 43 years old perfectly. Can get all the climbing kit I need in the boot, families mountain bikes on the roof and can hustle through the bends as good as most stuff I've had in the past. Cockpit is as connected to me and the road as good as the 3 series m sport I had before. Right now you could pick it up for about 17k with 25k miles on the clock, which would be a bargain, but I ain't selling.

Just to give myself some credence (or not, but was fun to do) I've owned and run the following over the years...

Original Mini.
Citroen AX GT
Renault Clio Williams
Subaru Impreza Turbo (1996 vintage)
Seat Leon Cupra Turbo
VW Golf GTi (Mark 6)
Audi TT 185 bhp
Audi TT 225 bhp
Land Rover Defender 300 tdi
Land Rover Defender TD5 110
Land Rover Defender XS 90
Land Rover Discovery 3 HSE
VW Passatt
BMW 320 M Sport
Mercedes 220 CDi AMG Sport Estate

....plus Honda CBR 600, Kawasaki ZX6R, etc but that's a different story.
 TMM 23 Dec 2014

I agree the CLS Shooting Brake looks great. When it comes to parting with the A7 it might go on the list.

You have to be prepared to pay for style over substance as it much more expensive than the E Class estate which shares the same platform, engine, drivetrain etc..
 TMM 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Fraser:

> For some reason, I'd always thought the Phaeton was just a rebadged A8.

The Phaeton, A8, GT & Continental all share the same platform as well having some common engines and drivetrains.
In reply to Timmd:

I do try, I do try, but I'm likely to do about 30 - 40K next year so a) green goes out of the window somewhat and b) luxury cars really make a difference - it's like flying cattle class vs Business (though I've only done that a couple of times.)
 marsbar 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Im considering one of those. Any more thoughts?
In reply to DefenderKen:

Despite what I said earlier , your merc looks quite tempting, and an OK price too... you SURE you're not selling?
 John_Hat 23 Dec 2014
In reply to rj_townsend:

> Keep it in the family - go for a Superb estate...

> The 4wd version looks rather tempting...

I have one of these - in 170hp 4x4 guise and Elegance spec. Nicest car I've ever driven. As I've said to others, it's not that it's amazing in any category, but its good in *every* category. Driveability, comfort, economy, reliability, space, equipment, the list goes on. It's pretty faultless.

... however I did hear its getting replaced next year with a new model. Which probably means the current versions will get much cheaper.
 RedFive 23 Dec 2014
Ha!

It's white, leather, heated front seats, privacy glass, factory navigation......but sorry, not until they bring the 4 wheel drive version out later next year
Post edited at 13:04
 Dr.S at work 23 Dec 2014
In reply to marsbar:

I really like it, have the 5d version which adds flexibility - has not skipped a beat including driving to the alps and trips up to Scotland.
4 seater, but comfy for 4 adults, fromt very spacious, ok sized boot (2 day packs and a bit).
very low road tax, very easy in cities but happy sitting at 85ish on the motorway.

new model out just now so might be able to get some good deals?
 butteredfrog 23 Dec 2014
In reply to DefenderKen:

I'm an ex merc mechanic, so have driven loads over the years, I just don't like them, but I am probably biased
 marsbar 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I spend most of my time in city traffic at the moment.

Much as I will miss my estate I don't really need it at the moment.

Might go for a test drive in the new year.
 RedFive 23 Dec 2014
In reply to butteredfrog:

Ha, fair enough. I would never have considered a Mercedes until about 2 years ago. Maybe F1 is to blame and it's just PR, but I reckon they have massively improved as a brand as well as technically since the Noughties (are we saying that yet?) disasters.

Anyway, Eat enough steak and you will soon crave a burger. Don't tell my wife though
 Timmd 23 Dec 2014
> I do try, I do try, but I'm likely to do about 30 - 40K next year so a) green goes out of the window somewhat and b) luxury cars really make a difference - it's like flying cattle class vs Business (though I've only done that a couple of times.)

My Dad used to have the same quandary when he had to drive and fly a lot of miles. Talking to an ex social worker a year or more ago, he decided that the important thing is people talking about stuff like this and trying to figure of what one can do as an individual (as well as collectively). Green-ish is probably good enough, more luxury & less petrol head.
Post edited at 16:59
 Tom Valentine 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Fraser:

You could never get the V10 diesel in the A8 or it would have been a no brainer.
 ballsac 23 Dec 2014

it sounds boring - but you could do a lot worse than one of the fancy bollocks Mondeo's.

i tried one - a titanium X iirc - and it really was very impressive at high sppeed, very comfortable long drives. in end i went for a lower spec version - 2011 140 zetec - as i got a newer, lower mileage bang for my buck, but even that is a very significant improvement over my old 54 plate mondeo.

mine is licence-endangeringly quiet at 95, gives 48/49mpg at 80-odd, and is great fun to drive.
 Skyfall 23 Dec 2014

You can have my bmw 330i coupe auto 59 plate for under £10k. Quick, split rear seats make it surprisingly practical, eats motorway miles. In fact, it's done well over 100k of them. Ah, good mpg and low mileage you say...?
Post edited at 21:46
 Timmd 24 Dec 2014
In reply to ballsac:

I know of an engineer who's done things in the car industry who said that Fords are ment to be good for 200.000 miles, that the engines and things are.
 Siward 24 Dec 2014

It does actually look quite nice but the standard CLS should never have left the drawing board. And people say the Panamera is ugly.
 Tom Valentine 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Siward:

>. And people say the Panamera is ugly.

Include me out.

Andy Farnell 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Just had an idea of something more left field:
Citroën C6. Big, comfy, unusual, should be cheap second hand, reasonably good on the fuel in diesel, will eat up the miles and get people talking when you stop. Or break down...

Andy F

ballsac 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Timmd:

my last one did just short of that - first turbo, first clutch, first everything. i had it for 8 years and put 20k+ on it every year. couldn't recommend them highly enough - which is why i bought another one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...