UKC

Quick-drying single pitch in the Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 22 Dec 2014
If the weather forecast is accurate and it stays dry on Wednesday, what do we think the chances of Long Scar/Black Crag drying out are? Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions for a crag that might be dry? Must be single pitch (it'll just be me mucking around on a shunt, or soloing), and ideally in the FRCC select guidebook or the Borrowdale guide.

(Very unlikely, I know)
 goose299 22 Dec 2014
In reply to tehmarks:

They're probably the best chance that I can think of for single pitch. Thery're up high and catch the wind so dry fairly quick.
Bear in mind, that if it's blowign a bit down below, it'll eb baltic up high
OP tehmarks 22 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:

That's what layers are for!

Do you reckon it'd be worth the drive from Newcastle, given it's forecast to be raining through to Tuesday night? I'm not familiar with either crag, they just leaped out at me from the guidebook as potential good choices to muck about on.
In reply to tehmarks:

If I was in your position, I wouldn't even consider driving from Newcastle to The Lakes to go trad rock climbing after all the recent rain. I very much doubt there'll be anything there remotely in condition. If it's single pitch trad climbing you're after, you'd be much better off going somewhere like the Wainstones.
 John Kelly 22 Dec 2014
In reply to tehmarks:

Black crag will be cold even with the layers - might be better doing a couple of classic scrambles, coming over from Newcastle, Blencathera, sharp edge/ halls fell is good
 Michael Hood 22 Dec 2014
In reply to tehmarks: I reckon south crag of castle rock might fit the bill - will get the sun and wind with little drainage and is a lot closer to Newcastle. Only problem might be belays which according to the selected guide are a bit sparse on top.

OP tehmarks 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

> If I was in your position, I wouldn't even consider driving from Newcastle to The Lakes to go trad rock climbing after all the recent rain.

There's half a chance that I'm going to come down to do some boot shopping at Needle Sports anyway. I pretty much dismissed the sandstone immediately, knowing how long it usually takes to properly dry, how fragile it is when not dry, and not knowing what the weather's been doing lately. Plus I miss the good ol' Borrowdale Volcanic
 goose299 22 Dec 2014
In reply to tehmarks:

I wouldn't drive over from Newcastle to climb in the Lakes in December mate, No chance!
I live an hour away and wouldn't drive up

Unless you're hillwalking and going for a scramble. Then maybe
 John Kelly 22 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:

There is always loads to do in the Lakes - today stickle ghyll was bloody awesome last week snow and ice and the rock climbing has been great for last few months - you just got to accept a bit of weather and tailor your day accordingly
today
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=875776055777498&set=vb.21120267556...
In reply to tehmarks:

It may be sandstone, but some pitches at Armathwaite rarely get wet. It's also not far out of your way from Newcastle. There are plenty of tree belays for shunting - and the sandy bay has got plenty of soloing / bouldering possibilities. It was the Carlisle/ Penrith area climbing wall before any were built!
Removed User 23 Dec 2014
In reply to tehmarks:

Wouldn't even contemplate anything other than a trip to the wall.
Diminishing returns at moment, "Lakes" under water.
OP tehmarks 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> It may be sandstone, but some pitches at Armathwaite rarely get wet.

Interesting to know - Armathwaite was on my hitlist too until I realised it was sandstone and started to have doubts about the condition I'd find it in. Seems like a nice little crag, and very convenient from Newcastle too.
 Ron Kenyon 24 Dec 2014
In reply to tehmarks:

Armathwaite - given good weather with its south westerly and sheltered situation it can be delightful during the winter.

Sandy Bay rarely gets wet - though sometimes the river is up to below the crag - and further along the likes of Flasherman, Exorcist etc etc - are there as well.

Happy Christmas to His Starkness !
 John Kelly 24 Dec 2014
In reply to tehmarks:

Raven crag langdale dry now
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

Happy Crimbo from Starkness Towers. Congrats on your forthcoming Presidentness.

I might even be up for a gently bumble some time now that my permanently dislocated collarbone has been tested out on a couple of F5 routes on the plastic. The biggest problem will be getting the road bike surgically removed from underneath me -- it's just too convenient to jump on and I'm out into the quiet lanes in 5 minutes.
OP tehmarks 24 Dec 2014
In reply to tehmarks:

Weather-permitting, I might drive down tomorrow and have a play on some routes. If Santa's kind to me, I might also get my rear end to Needle Sports and go boot shopping...
 goose299 24 Dec 2014
In reply to tehmarks:

Pretty sure Needlesports will be shut tomorrow, mate
OP tehmarks 24 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:

Errr, not tomorrow. Boxing Day or the 27th. No idea where I got tomorrow from!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...