UKC

Brechfa MTB trail conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cornish boy 24 Dec 2014

Hi.
I'm off to Pembrokeshire for New Year and wondered if anyone could give me a 'heads-up' on trail conditions and developments at Brechfa forest.
I haven't ridden there for 2 years, and was hoping to ride the Gorlech [red] trail in addition to the Derwen [green and blue] trail. We would most probably do these on 2 separate trips. The last time we were there a local chap advised us to steer clear of the Gorlech trail due to the massive amounts of rainfall at the time which had caused serious flooding. Has the drainage of the route been improved since?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Paul
Post edited at 21:15
 balmybaldwin 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Cornish boy:

Ive ridden gorlech in all sorts of conditions even when theres flooding in the area, and to be honest most of will be fine as its pretty much an all weather surface. You might find a few big puddles on the track, but the only one that ever causes problems is at the top of the first climb, and it hasstepping stones to get you round it. If theres sever flooding, spme of the lower bits of trail in the middle might be affected, but theres little chance of that this year. Thefinal descent does cut up a bit if its recently rained heavily, but its not that bad.

The derwen can be very slippy this time of year with leaves etc, but its a good little blast especially in the dark.

Enjoy the gorlech, I still think this is oneof the best trail centre routes in wales....second only to the raven trail (which is a pretty light touch black with plenty of warning of trail features)

OP Cornish boy 26 Dec 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Thanks very much for your reply.
I just need to get over the 'flu now!
Cheers,
Paul
 John2 28 Dec 2014
In reply to Cornish boy:

I rode the blue trail today - it was in great condition. Only problem was a very short stretch of ice.
OP Cornish boy 30 Dec 2014
In reply to John2:
Thanks for that info John.
We're gonna give it a bash tomorrow. That ice should have melted by now as it has gone really mild down here today.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...