UKC

Lake District Winter Guide Books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 26 Dec 2014
I bought a new Lake District winter climbs guide just before Xmas as a little Christmas gift to myself. I've just realised that the one I got from GO is the 2006 edition and there is a newer, 2012 edition. A bit annoying - but does anyone who has both know if there is much difference between the two editions? I have a nasty feeling I threw away the receipt, so returning the 2006 one may be a hassle. I suspect that most of the new routes between 06 and 12 were mainly harder than my moderate needs of up to about grade V. But of course whole new cliffs may have been developed with a range of routes on them and it would be a shame to not have that knowledge.
 LakesWinter 26 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

The 2006 one is fine and contains loads of good routes. I think there are a few crags in the new one not in that and a few quality new lines under grade 5 but overall the 2006 one is fine, I've done around 80 winter routes in the lakes and still have plenty to do from the 2006 guide.
 John Kelly 26 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

there is a lot to go at in the 2006 at the grade you want to climb - i may be very wrong but never heard anyone say 2012 absolutely required reading
 minstrel 26 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Have a look at the FRCC web site climbing section.Scroll down to the winter guide book section and it lists New climbs from 2012.
There may be another section that does the same from 2006-2012 that is archived?
OP TobyA 26 Dec 2014
In reply to all:

Cheers all. I have an older one which I guess I bought when I was last living in Northern England, so late 90s I suppose and that is noticeably thinner than the 2006 one, so I figured plenty of stuff got done between those two editions. You can read the intro to the 2012 one on Amazon's look inside feature and the editor notes there were some good winters between the two editions meaning new routes - but I was sort of hoping most were the controversial superhard mixed lines that will be too hard for me.

It's interesting that they still have one of the few winter routes I've done in the Lakes - Left Hand Route on Cambridge Crag - as 80 mtrs. Maybe I'm just going mad with old age but I'm certain we did three good pitches on that climb, so I'm sure it must be more like 110 or 120 metres. Might need to go and do one of the other routes on that crag this winter to see if it has shrunk since I was last there!
 scon 26 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

My first ascent is in the second edition!!
 matthew 26 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:
I'm not happy with the 2012 edition. In particular the plastering of the photo-topos with unnecessarily obtrusive lines and text boxes, obliterating a lot of the crag detail, means I find myself consulting the older one!

Thinner, older guides are better suited to carrying with you and contain more potential new-routes.
In reply to minstrel:

> There may be another section that does the same from 2006-2012 that is archived?

Afraid not - once the guide is published the old entries are deleted.

Exile 28 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

We did the route to the left three(?) weeks ago, it hasn't shrunk - 110 ish metres.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...