UKC

Scrambling Routes in N Wales (Matterhorn Training)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rob malik 26 Dec 2014
Hi all

Can anybody suggest some impressive routes (scrambling) in North Wales which will provide a basic pre-training comparison to Matterhorn (the Hörnligrat route).

I have performed on various routes in the States and Europe, but I am currently looking for some ideal areas in North Wales.

Thanks for your time guys

Webster 26 Dec 2014
In reply to rob malik:

go and solo laps of the diff/v diff routes on the east face of tryfan. there are lots of scrambly routes available on many of the mountains. not sure how any of them will compare to the terrane on the matahorn as I haven't climbed it but you can certainly work on your fitness
 Simon4 27 Dec 2014
In reply to rob malik:
How about Amphitheatre Rib - I did that with a prospective Alpine climbing partner as almost our first ever climb together this Summer, long approach, can be done moving together Alpine style. Then finished up with an exciting epic in a storm on the North West face of the Rimpfischhorn, but that is not guaranteed as a consequence. If you want a high remote rock route that has a long uphill approach, there is always Reade's Route on Crib Goch.
Post edited at 12:19
 Mark Haward 27 Dec 2014
In reply to rob malik:

The guidebook Scrambles in Snowdonia is a good place to start.
I see from your profile you have done Mt Blanc via the Gouter. Not sure if this was independently or with a guide, same for the Matterhorn ascent.
I guess you are a walker and scrambler rather than someone used to pitched climbing and may be doing the Matterhorn guided. Therefore I would recommend going up and down as many grade 1 scrambles as you can, perhaps moving on to grade 2s if you are comfortable with the terrain. The priority will be mountain fitness and efficient movement skills up and down scrambling terrain over long days wearing the same footwear you will use on the Matterhorn. Examples of circuits could include:
- Going up the gully by the Idwal Slabs, continuing up Seniors Ridge and descending the Gribin Ridge
- Going up Little Gully on Tryfan, on to Bristly Ridge, down Gribin, across to Bwlch Tryfan, climb Tryfan and descend the North Ridge
- The Snowdon Horseshoe, possibly going up via Lliwedd and down via Crib Goch

The Hornli Ridge is mostly a very long day of scrambling both up and down on often very exposed terrain. There are some easy short rock climbing sections and thick fixed ropes in some parts. As well as good fitness and efficient movement skills ideally you would be able to move together roped up. If being guided this is not a problem. If going independently and you have not done this before this requires a lot of practice to become safer and efficient. Perhaps book a weekend with an M.I.A. or M.I.C. or consider doing a course such as at Plas Y Brenin. Alternatively join a club which has members who could show you or you may prefer to learn independently with mates. If learning independently I suggest you start on ground you find very easy to start with and then build up.
If you have done some pitched climbing, moving together roped up or feel ready for the challenge consider linking in some of the Grade 3 scrambles such as the Cneifion Arete in Ogwen or Clogwyn Y Person Arete in Llanberis. Remember, many people who do these would require / prefer to have a rope and some basic climbing equipment and have the knowledge and skills to use them to enhance safety. As suggested, the longer easier climbs can be linked. Days could include:
- A route up the Idwal Slabs, walls above and upper cliff of Glyder Fawr.
- A route on Cyrn Las, Clogwyn Y Person and Crib Goch.
- Doing a route on Tryfan East Face, descend Easy Gully, do another route and repeat until you have had enough!

Experience on easy mixed ground is useful too, consider getting some winter walking / scrambling / climbing done this winter if you have not done a lot before.

Hope this helps,

Mark

In reply to rob malik:

I've found the most useful preparation for going to bigger mountains is to make sure you mimic the number of hours and feet of ascent/descent. Another thing I have found useful is taking exactly the same gear, especially rucksacks and their contents. While you are hill-walking and scrambling you can get your sack fine-tuned in terms of strap tensions, location of water bottles, etc. If you haven't got a lightweight alpine-type climbing harness with removable leg straps, I think that is a useful investment, much more suitable than the typical rock-climbing harness.
OP rob malik 29 Dec 2014
In reply to rob malik:

Thanks for all the replies guys. Greatly appreciate your time.

Mark: I've picked up the scrambles guidebook for Snowdonia - and it appears just what i'm after. Planning some of the suggestions all ready! We went up Mount Blanc without a guide, using ropes and harness. But we were very lucky with the weather. Reasonably easy route.... that's why we are stepping up the intensity, but obviously considering broad training. We may book a private training session. But we don't want guides up the summits. Thanks for the routes and tips!! On with the work!

John/Mark: I'm looking into purchasing equipment and gear (previously i have hired), have you any suggestions for footwear? I used la sportiva nepal in the alps, but will B3 be suitable for summer scrambling? Scarpa Manta?
 StuA15 29 Dec 2014
In reply to rob malik:

Footwear wise a lot of places have Scarpa Charmoz for under 200 quid just now, pretty much spot on and cracking value!
In reply to rob malik:

I would stick to one of the classic makes of boot, e.g. Scarpa. See if you can find boots with the classic construction in which the soles are stitched on as well as glued. I've had soles come off two apparently respectable hill-walking boots in which the soles were just glued on.
In reply to rob malik:

In this context there's one North Wales scramble that really stands out: Yr Esgair. It's very exposed with a real Alpine feel and also very loose in places. It certainly requires a lot of care and isn't for the faint hearted but if this one doesn't prepare you for the Matterhorn no other scramble route in Wales will.

Oujmik 01 Jan 2015
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

Or you could stand in the middle of the A5 to simulate crossing unstable couloirs... all I know about Yr Esgair is that Ashton does not regard it as safe or enjoyable in summer conditions. I'll be sticking to firmer rock
 Arcturus 01 Jan 2015
In reply to rob malik:
Bilberry Terrace on Y Lliwedd qualifies as an impressive scrambling route in Wales and would be a useful inclusion in your preparations for the Matterhorn but also a fine excursion in its own right. It is grade 3 but on the correct route the rock climbing difficulties are not great though the route finding can be testing.

Mark Haward 02 Jan 2015
In reply to rob malik:
Assuming suitable quality B2 / B3 boots the most important aspect is personal fit. Try lots of boots on - which may take time and have to be fitted in around visiting different climbing areas. Different brands and different ranges within a brand suit different people. Do not be pushed by sales people but do listen to their advice and then make your own judgements. I would recommend Outside in Hathersage ( close to you ) V12 and Joe Brown's in Wales as good places to try boots and listen to staff.
Also, think of your climbing over the next five years or so. A lightweight B2 climbing boots is great for the Matterhorn but you may want something a little warmer for snow / mixed routes and UK winter climbing.
No one boot does it all. Personally I often use an approach shoe / trainer for many alpine approaches and switch to the mountain boots when needed so I am not walking long distances in B3 boots. B2 boots are more forgiving on the longer approaches and easy climbing / scrambling but are not usually as warm as a B3 boot. There are many boots that are between B2 / B3, for example the Sportiva Trango Extreme GTX. A great boot if it fits.The Sportiva Nepal Cube is much lighter than the Sportiva Nepal and, in my view, is an awesome boot for me.
http://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/getting_the_right_mountain_boots
http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Footwear/Mountain-Boots
http://www.scarpa.co.uk/technical/fit-sizing/
may be useful
The updated Scarpa Mantas are great boots, you may prefer to get something that is better suited to more challenging climbing that you may get into...feeding the rat!

PS; John's advice on preparation is excellent
Post edited at 17:27
 John Gresty 02 Jan 2015
In reply to rob malik:

Practice downclimbing. Going up is the easy part of the Hornli ridge.

John gresty
 d_b 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Arcturus:

I agree Bilberry Terrace is good, but would add that it's worth taking a rope and some wires for it. Significantly harder than the CYP arete in my view (the second hardest from that book I have done).

I haven't found anyone stupid enough to go up Yr Esgair with me yet, and having had a good look from the top I'm actually quite glad of that!
 ben b 08 Jan 2015
In reply to rob malik:

Cneifion arete, up and down, in the dark....

Talking to friends who have been up the Hornli the length of the route has been a revelation, and the amount of time spent on easy but quite committed terrain meant confident soloing, or very slick moving together, was the main skill. That and human relations - not thumping some of the other people on the route, including some guides who don't seem to acknowledge the existence of unguided parties. Which included pulling on his leg as a hold.

Good luck!

b
 butteredfrog 09 Jan 2015
In reply to ben b:

It's about 3000' not technically difficult but, I would omit "quite" from your statement. It is very commiting terrain, as all the plaques, memorials and crosses on the walk in are testament too.
My advice would be, loads of scrambling in the uk, get out there with plenty of time, go and climb a route like the Rotgrat as training. Its longer, slightly harder (Imo) and very exposed in places. But the decent from the summit is a walk. This would get you in the zone and give you that confidence of movement the Matterhorn demands.

Adam
 Cornish boy 10 Jan 2015
In reply to rob malik:

Hi Rob,

I've heard that Cyfrwy Arete [on Cadair Idris] is regularly used as training for climbers heading out to the Alps.

It's a great route, and has an awkward down-climb off The Table to contend with!

I have similar aspirations to you so have enjoyed this thread and all its advice.

Cheers,

Paul
OP rob malik 13 Jan 2015
In reply to rob malik:

Thanks everyone for your comments. This post is a training bible in regard to prep for the Alps in Wales.

This weekend will shall be starting steady with some long sessions on the Snowdon Horseshoe and Tryfan North Face (Just 1/2 scrambling routes).

Will keep updated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...