UKC

Kinder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ruby2 27 Dec 2014
Hi there, any one been up on the kinder, much snow about, cheers
 planetmarshall 27 Dec 2014
In reply to ruby2:

Go on, you know what it is you want to ask.
 Iain Thow 27 Dec 2014
In reply to ruby2:

About 8cm fell up on the tops last night, but it was pretty windy so well drifted. Snowy all the way down to Castleton/Chapel. Above freezing in the sun at 400m at 8.30, but still freezing low down in the shade an hour later. Plenty of white stuff to play on - just seen the first person up Mam Tor Gully and bet the smaller Kinder streams are fun - intend to find out after work. Blue skies, sun and snow, definitely worth a trip out. Have fun!

Iain
 Andy Peak 1 27 Dec 2014
In reply to Iain Thow:

It may of bean me on Mam tor gully,red trousers and black coat.
 Iain Thow 27 Dec 2014
In reply to Andy Peak 1:

Hope it was fun. Will be heading home that way once the shop shuts. Might be a bit more frozen by then too?
 Iain Thow 27 Dec 2014
In reply to Andy Peak 1:
Thanks for the footprints on the approach. Snow still pretty soft early evening, did the rib left of the gully as the snow was a bit better and semi frozen turf beats semi frozen rubble. Beginning to freeze by the time I got home after staggering over a very drifted up Rushup Edge, so the gully might be in better nick tomorrow morning.

nation1 28 Dec 2014
In reply to Iain Thow:

any updates on 'THE GULLY' is it worth a visit tomorrow ? temperatures look to be rising on Tuesday
 Sophie G. 28 Dec 2014
In reply to ruby2:

You know what? I'm not joking here. I think it might actually be...

No, sorry, I can't quite bring myself to finish that sentence, you'll have to do it yourselves
 Swiss Tony 28 Dec 2014
In reply to nation1:

Went up same route as Iain this morning before sunrise & pretty much the same state but no frozen turf, saw 2 guys on the west rib & they said it was "a bit frozen" could believe they were going up but up they went, will post some pics later
 nation1 28 Dec 2014
In reply to Swiss Tony:
thank you
Post edited at 20:41
 jimjimjim 28 Dec 2014
In reply to ruby2:

It's in
Clauso 29 Dec 2014
In reply to jimjimjim:

> It's in

You're a very naughty boy... I headed up there tonight, with my mate, and the only thing that was "in" was us, in deep, soft, snow drifts.

My advice? Forget it, and pray for lots of cold.

Iain Thow 29 Dec 2014
In reply to nation1:

It was only just freezing at 400m this morning and even small streams were running, probably as it was a cloudy night. There is still some snow in Mam Tor Gully but I bet it's pretty soft. Face further right is stripped, as are the Winnats ridges. Smaller cloughs on N side of Kinder perhaps?

Iain
 cragtyke 29 Dec 2014
In reply to ruby2:

Went for a walk round the Chew Valley skyline yesterday, beautiful conditions, but very warm up top in the sun with no breeze. The problem is that the peat wasn't frozen before it snowed , water was running down the wilderness gullies as reported in the winter conditions ascents. Looks like a repeat of last winter to me.
 jimjimjim 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Clauso:

Oh dear....twas just a joke and I didn't say what was 'in'. It's not been anywhere near cold enough for long enough for it to be in. It's short and shit anyway.
Clauso 29 Dec 2014
In reply to jimjimjim:

> Oh dear....twas just a joke and I didn't say what was 'in'.

I know. We didn't head up there hoping to climb the Downfall; we were just taking a mooch about to see how conditions were developing. They weren't.... The only good thing, about the whole experience, was that we were still able to make last orders and secure a lock-in at the local boozer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...