UKC

How much exercise to do?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flatus Vetus 28 Dec 2014
We have a decent gym at work and I've started to use it on every working bar a few rest days. I do circuit training on the various machines, usually on the treadmill, rowing machine, recumbent cycle or various cross-training machines. I base the amount of exercise I do on the calorie counters on the machines' computers. I try to burn through a set amount of calories as fast as possible. Currently (i'm not very fit) I'm doing my daily 700calorie workout in just over an hour, I'm hoping to build up to 1000 calories in 75 minutes. My question (finally!) is do you base your gym workout on calories and what sort of figures should I be aiming for for, say, ski mountaineering? A vague question I know, I'm just after some ballpark figures.
 The New NickB 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Flatus Vetus:

What are you aiming to do? Lose weight or improve fitness? Both. I don't use the gym much, but I run and cycle. Mix your sessions up cardio wise, some very intense intervals with long easy warm ups and downs, others more steady and sustained. Don't worry too much about the calories, the machines are not all that accurate anyway. Monitor times / distances / weight to measure improvement.
 alx 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Flatus Vetus:
Be specific in what you want to achieve, then do the research on how you want to get there.
Be wary with including targets such as activities that include new or refining complex skills such as climbing, ski mountaineering etc, as improvement will be the sum of a large number of different factors of which you may not be able to control inside your work gym.

Your quickest path to improvement will always be to work your weaknesses.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...