UKC

iphone 4s and Strava useage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Newbuild100 29 Dec 2014
Guys

how many hours usage can you guys get using Strava on your iPhone4s ??

Whilst I'm not an expert with mobile phones, I'm pretty sure all the things that should be switched off when I'm usin
Strava are switched off (i.e., updates to other apps, and all other apps not running etc)
Yesterday, I just managed to get 6 hours before the phone was showing nil battery life !!!

Is this normal ?
If it is, then when I'm out either cycling or walking for longer hours in the next few months, Strava will be useless.
Is it possible to buy batteries for said phone that will last longer ???

Any help would be appreciated
 cfer 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

I had this problem with my year old 4s, ended up changing battery, but you can save battery with a few things, turn screen brightness down, location services off, push data off and the 3g if you also dont need the internet. there is a also a battery usage bit now in settings to see where the battery is getting hammered.

My new battery was £30 fitted in local shop and has made it like a new phone, you can but cases that have a battery in to use though.
 Indy 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:
Yes, its possible to buy an external battery pack or have one built into a case. Still, depending on what your doing then a Edge might be a better buy especially with some of the deep discounting going on on the low end Garmin Edges

Just had a look and its possible to get a Garmin Edge 200 for less than £75. Thats got to be around the same ballpark price as a phone solution but would be much more rugged with better features AND 15 hours battery life.
Post edited at 13:12
 yorkshireman 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

Unfortunately GPS is one of the biggest drains going on a mobile phone battery, so fundamentally you're not going to save much in comparison.

As recommended, spend money on a low-end dedicated GPS watch rather than a new phone battery. You never know when you might need your phone out on the trail.
 Bob 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

Before I got a dedicated GPS unit (well began using my wife's old one before getting one myself) I used the Strava app on my iPhone. Even with the unit fully charged I'd only get about three hours of tracking. You can get more by setting the app recording then, somewhat counter-intuitively, turning the app "off". It doesn't actually turn off but goes in to background mode, iOS recognises that it is still active and doesn't clean up.

I'll add to what the other replies have said - get a dedicated GPS unit, that way you save the batteries on your phone in case you need to use it for an emergency call. You can plug in something like a Powermonkey to extend battery life if you so need.

I've now got a Garmin 510 for biking and I've yet to get anywhere near draining the battery even on long rides. I think it's meant to have a 16hr battery life.
 Chris the Tall 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

6 hours sound pretty good for GPS tracking with an iphone. Not used the strava app, but have used such things as Motionx and ski-tracks and have learnt that for a full day I need a battery pack. Can't remember the make of mine - it's at home - but a quick google suggests that there are quite a few for around £20. Doesn't add that much weight and only a bit bigger than a standard bumper case.
In reply to Newbuild100:

I get about 5 hours on my Samsung Galaxy Ace 2. If I know I'm going to be on a longer ride, I've got a Pebble Smartstick emergency portable Battery -- which plugs in via the usb cable. Gives an extra 5 or 6 hours life.
 gazzagabb 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

Sound similar to my iphone 4s. Even when new it wouldn't run Strava for more than 6 hours.
OP Newbuild100 29 Dec 2014
In reply to cfer:

Thanks for all the answers guys, i appreciate it.
Re "Location services". Should that not be turned on so that the phone/Strava knows where you are (at least to start the ride/walk) ?

Told you i wasnt an expert. !
OP Newbuild100 30 Dec 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

Re "Location services". Should that not be turned on so that the phone/Strava knows where you are (at least to start the ride/walk) ?

anyone ??
 cfer 30 Dec 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

Yeah it has to be on, but you can turn it off so no apps can use it then select just strava and allow it to use location services while the app is active.

Stops other apps usinig all the signal/battery
OP Newbuild100 30 Dec 2014
In reply to cfer:

Nice one, thanks again guys

Happy new year, and safe cycling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...