UKC

Brighton bouldering: most expensive / most restrictive?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 duchessofmalfi 29 Dec 2014
Maybe I'm out of touch with the cost of living on the crowded south coast and maybe every other climbing wall I've ever been to has a ridiculously cavalier attitude to safety -- or...

Brighton Bouldering is f***** expensive and has some insane ideas about children climbing?
 John Kelly 29 Dec 2014
In reply to duchessofmalfi:
Kids prices look to be cheaper than most walls in s lakes
Post edited at 21:44
 The Norris 29 Dec 2014

It does look very expensive. However their monthly pass is cheaper than my local wall, perhaps that is what they are trying to push for?

Which bit about the kids rules do you disagree with? I havent been.
In reply to The Norris:
The bit which requires two climbers to supervise one child (see chart on their website)
The bit about no kids after 6pm
The bit about "love to build a youth climbing squad" (see the above for compatibility)

I've never been and probably never will but cost and regulation seem rather out-of-whack with the norm.
Post edited at 22:52

I found this on their website, where does it say two climbers to supervise one child? It is expensive though.

Boulder Brighton is an adult climbing centre, but younger climbers are welcome to use the facility within certain restrictions. All climbers under the age of 16 require *close* supervision by a non-climbing, competent adult unless booked onto one of our instructed courses, with one supervisor for every child aged under 9, or one supervisor per two older children. We strongly recommend first-time climbers to join one of our kids clubs for an introduction to the sport.
In reply to jonathan shepherd:

There is a handy table on this page:

boulderbrighton.com/youth.php

"Number and age of children" - "Minimum number of supervisors required"
"1 child aged under 16" - "...2 climbing adults"

Yes, that's silly you can take your child but can't enjoy the climbing with them unless there's two adults climbing. If you've got three children you'ld have to take a small army along just to look after them.
 John Kelly 30 Dec 2014
In reply to jonathan shepherd:

I have three kids and if I take them bouldering at the wall they spend significant amounts of time lurking in death zone, my youngest seems to like lying on mat below me or any other victim, much more difficult to arrange safely than roped climbing. When they boulder they have system of all requiring assistance simultaneously, difficult.
 Climber_Bill 30 Dec 2014

> I've never been and probably never will but cost and regulation seem rather out-of-whack with the norm.

That's a shame as BB is a great bouldering wall with really good keen staff and owners. Their whole onus is to provide a facility that can be used by everyone, from beginner to highly experienced. I have never been to a wall with so many beginners starting out. That is probably due to its location in the south east, but it really is a wall for everyone. Of course at this time of year, beanies are obligatory!

The safety aspects have been put in place to make it safe for everyone of all ages. Unfortunately, perhaps it's a Brighton and Hove thing, but there were some parents who were using it like a crèche, in my opinion. Take their kids, let them loose and sit and have (very good) coffee and cake. That was making it very dangerous for both the little kids and other climbers. However, if they feel that a child is suitably experienced and sensible, I know they do make exceptions.

Go along, chat to the staff and owners, they are very approachable and will be happy to discuss your concerns.

As for cost, it is about the same as most modern walls. No, not cheap, but running an indoor wall has many expensive overheads. I don't know the actual costs that BB pay but leasing industrial buildings in that part of the country is astronomical. It is why it has taken so long for a decent wall to be developed in the area.

Cheers,

Rich.

In reply to Richard White:

I'm unlikely to go because I've got a choice of >100 walls nearer to me that are cheaper, less restrictive and probably better! I only commented because I'm passing through and thought to go climbing with some kids but found the place to be (a) the most expensive wall I know of and (b) the most restrictive place for teaching kids I know of.

I was also amused by "We'd love to build a youth climbing squad" (aged 12-15). By the aged of 12 most serious competitors I've met have many years experience of competing and climbing (including after 6pm) but maybe BB can afford to bring in ringers...

As for parents mistaking the wall for a soft play facility I'm sympathetic to the problem but think it has been "solved" the wrong way.
 Climber_Bill 30 Dec 2014

BB 12 - 15; £6.00
BB Under 12; £4.50

A London Climbing Wall Under 18; £7

A Sheffield Climbing Wall Under 16; £4.50
A Sheffield Climbing Wall Under 7; £4

Most expensive? Not in the South East of England and comparable at a quick glance with another area.

Cheers,

Rich.
In reply to Richard White:

Turn up and climb -- £11.50 which is f***** expensive

jsmcfarland 30 Dec 2014

I think the supervision thing for kids is brilliant. I climb at BB and a few other walls in the SE and I can honestly say I've nearly caused serious harm to kids running under me while I'm falling off high moves, because nobody was supervising them etc.

as for the price, meh you get what you pay for mostly, though BB do seem to want to encourage monthly memberships. The setting is good, variety of walls is massive and there is something for everyone at pretty much every grade
 climbingpixie 31 Dec 2014

> The bit which requires two climbers to supervise one child (see chart on their website)

Sounds like a great idea. One person climbs, the other supervises the kids. Swap as required. Both adults get to climb but the kids don't go dicking about and wandering underneath people who are climbing.

> The bit about no kids after 6pm

I would love it if they brought that in at my wall. I'd even pay a premium on my entry fee to boulder in a child free wall in the evenings!
 marsbar 31 Dec 2014

Having injured myself falling awkwardly to avoid landing on a child playing on a mat under a bouldering wall, I can see their point.

The solution may be to ban idiot parents. It does seem to be more of a problem in the more affluent areas.
 Neil Williams 31 Dec 2014
In reply to climbingpixie:

Interesting - other than instructed groups and the squad you very rarely see any kids climbing at Big Rock after about 7pm. So no real need for a rule.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...