UKC

Skiing near Nürnberg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xharlie 30 Dec 2014
If you were operating out of Nürnberg, where would you go to find the best lifts & pistes? What about ski-mountaineering? Would you go there if money wasn't a concern? What if you were on a tight budget?

I've done some browsing on Google Maps and it looks like there are several lifts to the North-East of Hopfgarten im Brixental in the Austrian Alps. That's about three hours by car from Nürnberg, via München. Axamer Lizum, near Innsbruck, and Tannheim have also been mentioned to me. These are all in Austria. What else is nearby?
 Arcturus 30 Dec 2014
In reply to Xharlie:
You can drive to Garmisch in about 3 hours. Good skiing there.
 AlanLittle 30 Dec 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

As Arcturus said, three hours to the Bavarian resorts, but frankly if I were driving three hours anyway, I'd drive the extra hour to Austria.

There are some village baby slopes in the Frankenjura, but I suspect they're not what you had in mind and only operate in cold winters. See also Grosser Arber in the Bayerischer Wald.

Money no object? St Anton / Lech / Zürs or Ischgl / Samnaun.
 Mark Savage 30 Dec 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

This isn't much help if you're going in a couple of months, but I've just got back from a skiing trip to Garmisch. All the runs on Zugspitze are in good condition, but there hasn't been any snow until last week so any lower altitude runs aren't really in at the moment.
Also, there are lots of roadworks around Munich so I drove down via Augsburg with no problems.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...