UKC

Kids at bouldering walls - supervision and rules.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 flopsicle 31 Dec 2014
Ok - I have a 6 yr old and am frequently 'the mum' but I also climb without her and try to climb near to my limits, so flattening a small child due to an unplanned rapid descent is also on my mind.

I love seeing kids start climbing, I want them to be welcomed and to take their little place inside what I think is a fine community (on a good day!).

That said, Dad's racing their tots up and down the crash mat under the wall, adults letting under 5's run about but then saying 'Don't worry we're experienced climbers', parents on the phone while their offspring go unnoticed - both high up the walls and roly poly on the mats and a couple belaying each other in the separated roped section while their under 5 almost cops it under an overhang - but they were grateful to be alerted as they thought their kids had just gone to the loo and felt the 6ish lad was fine in charge!

I think these rules would be really helpful:
*No supervisors on phones when supervised are anywhere on the crash mats.
*The CHILD given a test verbally on bouldering safety before any supervising adult is free to climb EVER. ( I had one little girl I blocked while spotting a friend, she had tried to get round me and I physically prevented her just as he flew off from the top at speed - she was a lovely kid and said 'Ok I see why I can't go down there'. There was no adult with her till minutes later). My 6 yr old could easily pass a test, with reasons why and added extras like looking round corners!
*Not supervising children when taking on that responsibility results in being asked to leave on the day and booking a safety session with staff before being given re- entry.

I think some of the problem is that much of the supervision of kids is so poor that I stop climbing properly as soon as I see them until I've seen how their adult behaves. I also feel that having a stranger on a wall tell you to mind out the way is unpleasant for small children - and scary, that's a shame when actually I want to encourage them.

I know my rules aren't perfect. I'd be interested to know what other climbers think?
 balmybaldwin 31 Dec 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

It would certainly make a start.

I've lost count of the number of times I've had kids walking under me when I'm climbing at walls.
 johncook 31 Dec 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Nearly as many kids under me as adults. I have been snarled at by adults when I asked them to not walk between the belayer and the wall, as "we are not going to interfere with the rope." or similar words. On one accasion the gap was so narrow I was asked to step back! Not a printable response!
Most kids are smart enough to know, once told, that climbing is dangerous and that they must obey the rules and keep themselves safe. It tends to be the odd one or two (who have naff parents/supervisors!) who cause the trouble.
 balmybaldwin 31 Dec 2014
In reply to johncook:

I agree the problem exists with adults too, but I don't feel guilty about falling on to them as they should no better, where as I do when its most likely just a kid getting excited to try a problem with poor supervision
OP flopsicle 31 Dec 2014
In reply to johncook:

I agree - but if a squash an adult I'll worry less about it than if a tot gets squished! It's not the kids fault.

Dozey adults don't stop me but unwatched kids definitely do.
 Thrudge 31 Dec 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

Agreed on all points.
 Neil Williams 31 Dec 2014
In reply to flopsicle:
The thing is it's a bit difficult to define supervision for bouldering. With roped walls, an easy way to do it is to say that the supervisor can't leave the ground unless a second supervisor is present, and a supervisor must tail the rope when the novice/kid is belaying. There isn't much running around on a roped wall other than that, and nobody is likely to fall on anybody's head.

With bouldering, it all feels like a soft-play centre until somebody lands on your head. (I've had kids run under me before as well, including once just as I fell off - I screamed for them to get out of the way and the parent grabbed them just in time - had all 18 stone of me landed on them I would expect I could have killed them, or at least caused very severe injuries).

I've seen "kids under a certain age must be within arms reach of an adult" - maybe that *isn't* too much? Perhaps add to that "any parent who is seen not to be in control of their children (e.g. they are running around) will be asked to leave without refund" - and enforce it at the first offence?

TBH, I think young kids are far better roped climbing. Might there actually be a case for no bouldering *at all* for under 10s, or maybe 12s, unless part of an instructed group? Then again that disadvantages kids like yours who sound like they know how to behave.

Neil
Post edited at 16:15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...