UKC

Racking up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Barryt128 01 Jan 2015
Hi there about time to start buying some gear if you were starting out with just a harness what would be the first things to get I was thinking a set of nuts 1-11 and some quick draws but has anyone better advice also is buying 2nd hand wise thanks
 Mark Eddy 01 Jan 2015
In reply to Barryt128:

Your plan seems pretty fine. Add a few slings and screwgates too. And do you yet have a rope? If not then a 50m single would likely be a good start.

Buy new, you then have no worries as to the history of the gear. Buy lightweight too, as your rack builds so does the weight, it soon adds up to too many kilos on your back on the way to the crag!
Barryt128 01 Jan 2015
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

Thanks m8 I won't need too much as I don't intend on too much summer stuff mostly winter which I know I'll have to add screws ect but just looking for the basics I'll need no matter what season cheers
 John Kelly 01 Jan 2015
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

I would be happy using second hand metalwork - biners, wires and at a push cams - essentially if they look good they are good

phantom biners are very good
In reply to Barryt128:

It's only my opinion but rather than a single rope id get two doubles. It may cost more but if, as you say, you're going to do most of your climbing in winter it makes more sense.

I made the mistake of getting a single 50m when I started a few years ago and I prefer winter climbing. It must have made six outings before I bought doubles. False economy to shell out for a single, then doubles months later. Just by doubles to start with!

Especially in winter I'd get a pair of 60s.
 Mr Trebus 02 Jan 2015
In reply to Barryt128:

I bought a new set of Kouba hexes for £13 and their tricams for £19 on eBay from a seller called Foroutdoors with free postage and they look solid.

I did not really need them, but at that price I gave them a go. Not placed in anger yet, but at that price good enough to be bashed about.

BusyLizzie 02 Jan 2015
In reply to Barryt128:

I built up a very pleasing rack through a mixture of looking out for special offers, and buying second-hand on this site from people who were obviously competent climbers and looked unlikely to sell me something that was going to kill me. I'm very pleased with what I've got. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying climbing gear on ebay.
Barryt128 02 Jan 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thanks for the advice I'll start checking it out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...