UKC

New SIM in old (OLD) phone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JJL 02 Jan 2015
Your kind advice saw me get a new smartphone.
I even managed to transfer my old mobile number. All good.

However, then I thought it might be handly to put a cheap-as-chips pay-as-you-go SIM into the old phone for taking running etc. so it wouldn't matter if it got soaked and died.

I bought a £1 SIM from Tesco, but phone is saying emergency calls only (I've put £10 airtime on).

I called the old provider (Virgin PAYG) who say phone is not locked to them.
I called Tesco, who sent a new SIM - same problem.

When I go to Network Settings, and choose "Select manually" I get two options - Vodafone and O2. When I select either of them, the phone says "Registering" and then "Not available".

Is the phone still locked to Virgin? Or is it just too old for a modern SIM? Or is somehting else going on?

Probably obvious, but I'm a numpty with this.

Thanks

J

felt 02 Jan 2015
In reply to JJL:

Did you miss the wineskins parable in RE?
 JamButty 02 Jan 2015
In reply to JJL:

sounds like its locked - why not just go into Tesco and ask them?
 Billy the fish 02 Jan 2015
In reply to JJL:

Does the new SIm work in other 'phones or do other SIM cards work in your new 'phone? You could work out it the problem i with the card or mobile.
OP JJL 02 Jan 2015
In reply to Billy the fish:

SIMs go ok in other (but newer) phones... and the handste worked fine wiht the old SIM. Something about the combination
 Jim Fraser 02 Jan 2015
In reply to JJL:

There are thousands of combinations of problem but luckily millions of posts about it on the internet. Try searching for the phone make and model along with things like 'unlock' and 'virgin payg' and 'new sim problem'. Your answer may come in Bulgarian or Indonesian but that's what Bing translation is for.
 Kassius 03 Jan 2015
In reply to JJL:
Google unlock codes for your dog and bone. There should be a code you can use to unlock it on all networks.
Post edited at 00:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...