UKC

Headtorches with rechargeable batteries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flashy 02 Jan 2015
Hi,

I'm trying to get an extra battery for my Petzl Tikka headtorch for a longer than usual trip I'm doing soon. I've used a Core battery for several years and like it, but can't seem to buy them any more. I don't want to take AAAs as they're really heavy relative to the Core, and I was always replacing them half full which made them hugely wasteful; not only do rechargeables *seem* better for the environment (a smart arse will be along to tell me why they're not in a minute), but they've also saved me a ton of cash. Normal AAA rechargeables seem to have dismally short-lived power output, even expensive ones.

Does anyone have any opinions on my best option? Know where I can buy a new Core battery? Should I upgrade to the latest Petzl headtorch? Get a BD Revolt and some extra BD batteries? Get Sanyo Eneloops? Lightness is fairly important to me, so I'm wondering how heavy the BD and Eneloop batteries are. Being USB-chargeable is essential so I can use solar panels/battery packs/12v sockets etc.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or opinions, all gratefully received.

Flashy
 Ridge 02 Jan 2015
In reply to Flashy:

If you do go down the new torch route, what would your criteria be in terms of light output, burn time etc?
 girlymonkey 02 Jan 2015
In reply to Flashy:

If you are thinking of upgrading, Santa brought me this one this year. I've not had it out yet for a full winter night nav epic, but initial playing with it has left me impressed. If you are going down the new torch line this gives lots of light for not much weight and rechargeable battery
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenser-LED6107-SEO7R-Rechargeable-Head/dp/B00BXMSGA...
 Mountain Llama 03 Jan 2015
In reply to Flashy:

I use a petzl myo rxp with rechargeable AA battery's, burn time is good and ok for running, hiking and climbing. Think they do a remote battery pack if your somewhere cold.

HTH Davey
 mypyrex 03 Jan 2015
In reply to Flashy:

I bought a Petzl Tikka R+(from Cotswold) which has its own dedicated battery. It's rechargeable from mains, car or solar panel.

Quite please with it and looking forward to using it(with solar charger - powermonkey) on a long trek.
 Fiona Reid 03 Jan 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

I have the lenser torch that girlymonkey mentions. I have tested it out for real after a late finish in the Northern Corries and am very happy with it.

It has a rechargeable battery but I also carry some AAA's taped together in the right orientation in my sack. I would imagine you could easily source an extra rechargeable.

I've had it for over a year and still haven't had to recharge it!
 girlymonkey 03 Jan 2015
In reply to Fiona Reid:

wow, a year without recharging it is good going! I realise I am assuming there that you use yours as much as I use mine, which may not be the case, but I am liking the sound of that!! I was amazed at the brightness of it for the weight too.
 KinderMike 03 Jan 2015
In reply to Flashy:
As the ladies say, the Lenser SEO7.R is very good; MR team colleagues use this one and they love it. Personally, being a flash bugger and a bit of a gear geek, I went for the slightly flashier H7R.2 which is both USB-rechargeable and takes AAA batteries (without needing to change the battery caddy), is focus-able with adjustable brightness and rear light - it's slightly bulkier and has the battery box on the back but it's awesome with excellent battery life and brightness. My wife has one for running in the dark and loves it.
Post edited at 20:05
 wolf.leeb 03 Jan 2015
In reply to KinderMike:

HOPE R4.
1000 lu...
Lithium ion..

Arrrggg my eyes!

OP Flashy 03 Jan 2015
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Sounds like you're on on the side of 'buy a new one'. Ho hum. But thank you for the suggestions of good torches to look at.

Dazzle 04 Jan 2015
In reply to Flashy:

If you're buying new, LED lenser all the way great torches
 tjin 04 Jan 2015
In reply to Flashy:

I have very good experience with Sanyo Eneloop batteries. been using the same ones for about 8 years. Sanyo also makes a USB charger with 2 slots with independ charge bays.
 gammarus 15 Jan 2015
In reply to wolf.leeb:

Have you used a Hope on the hill? It looks a bit heavy to me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...