UKC

winter tyres

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 02 Jan 2015
I currently do a bike and train commute several days a week. Parts of the the riding are on roads, and part through a park and quiet side roads. I am considering winter tyres, but not really sure how necessary they are or what kind of thing to got for. Pros and cons of studs? Is there much benefit of the non studded winter ones? Should I just take the mountain bike on icey days? Weight and rolling resistance are not a consideration, my commuting bike is about the same weight as a car, so a few grams make no difference!!
 Mikek 02 Jan 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:
I recently posted "tyres for icy roads";
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=604819&v=1#x7946334
now have fitted Continental winter tyres but, so far, haven't tried them in ice. But I think it is the decision for me. Don't know much about studded tyres but would have thought they would be a PITA when not on ice.
My experiences with winter tyres on cars led me to my decision. However, the Conti tyres are quite pricey!
Hope this helps, Mike
 TobyA 02 Jan 2015
In reply to Mikek:

Studded tyres are fine when not on ice, but they are slower and noisier on dry or almost snow-free roads for obvious reasons. I used to use them for months through each winter when I lived in Finland. I haven't felt the need to put them on this winter now I'm in the UK. Non-studded "winter tyres" for bikes just seem to be tougher - which is what I use year round (Schwalbe Plus tyres - I've used Marathon Plus and Marathon Plus Tours for my commuting CX, and they've been so amazing I bought Durano Plus for my road bike and so far they've been great too). I'm not sure if any tyres for bike have different compounds in them like car winter friction tyres do.
 Indy 02 Jan 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

I guess its a personal decision but for me if the roads are icy then its no fun to be cycling so I'll go for an off road run if I feel the need for exercise.

Use Continental Gator Hardshell for commuting and the Continental Grand Prix 4000 for something a little more sporty.
 AlisonSmiles 02 Jan 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

No wrong choice I reckon! I've used the studded ice tyres which have been great fun heading over Peak District lanes in the last big winter we had. This year in the snow I've stuck to the mountain bike on normal tyres and kept safe. I've got Schwalbe Landcruisers waiting to go on the cross bike (steel heavy weight commuter bike) in the next couple of weeks. Had a good few winter seasons with the Schwalbe Marathons on the hybrid too. I reckon the important thing - what you're comfortable with, what's within your budget, stay safe and have fun!
OP girlymonkey 02 Jan 2015
In reply to Indy:

I have no other sensible way of commuting, so no choice here. So far this winter has not been particularly icey, only a couple of slightly scary moments in the mornings, but I am ever hopeful that it will get colder, so want to be ready on time for it. Winter tyres are on the car, so inclined to think they are a good idea on the bike.
Interesting that there has been no particularly strong views on them, that is unusual for a gear question!! Maybe it is not as significant a difference as I thought it might be.
 TobyA 02 Jan 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Winter tyres are on the car, so inclined to think they are a good idea on the bike.

Presuming by winter car tyres you don't mean studded ones (as they are illegal in the UK!) then there are no winter bike tires designed to work the same way as winter car tyres (which are softer and have lots of little cuts in them to be able to seek out friction from the ruggosities of the road surface). Bike tires sometimes called "winter tyres" just tend to be tough ones - fixing a puncture is no fun when its raining and 4 degrees - designed to deal better with muck, grit, and other debris washed onto the roads in the British winter. Short of studded tyres, if you hit black ice on the road when on a bike, you'll do well to stay up - having tough "winter" tyres won't help. If its very icy (and to some degree snowy), studded tires are the only option but they are a drag (literally) when the ice melts. In a perfect world you'd have your studded tyres mounted on a spare set of wheels allowing for a very quick change before leaving on icy mornings but who has the money for that?!
 IainL 02 Jan 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

If you have to use your bike to commute, then studded tyres are almost essential. They are noisy but will not slip. I've a set on a mountain bike and have done 3 miles downhill on ice with running water without any trouble. It is the hidden ice on roads and tracks that is the problem, and studs will prevent sliding into traffic. A cheap set of Halford wheels is one option for swapping.
 IainL 02 Jan 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I don't think studs themselves are illegal in Britain. You are not allowed to damage the road surface and this would be impossible to prove for one car. It has been shown elsewhere that a low use of studs in winter breaks up the shine and improves the surface friction of concrete and tarmac.
 TobyA 02 Jan 2015
In reply to IainL:

> It has been shown elsewhere that a low use of studs in winter breaks up the shine and improves the surface friction of concrete and tarmac.

Might be true, but they really damage the roads when everyone has them and particulate pollution is a real problem come spring if there isn't lots of rain. I was told they're illegal in Germany, because you have to change your tires before you get on the ferry to there from Finland. I thought it was the same in the UK, but could well be wrong - don't suppose there are many sets kicking around in Britain anyway!

OP girlymonkey 03 Jan 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, it is the non-studded winter tyres I have for the car. Is the different rubber compound not so effective on a bike then, is that why they don't make them?
I might see if I can pick up some cheap wheels to keep a set of winter tyres on, but actually my bike is so heavy anyway that I don't think I will really notice the drag - when I have to lift it up the station steps I make sure I bend my knees properly and it takes me two hands to get it up onto my shoulder!! lol
Have a look at tyres on OnOne bike site. There is one which is only semi studded so at high pressure runs mainly on centre bead. Reduce pressure for running on ice. Seems a reasonable compromise but probably not as good for sustained ice as a fully studded tyre.

Need to be running 26" or 700c though.

In reply to girlymonkey:

Studs are the way to go with a spare set wheels preferably.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...