UKC

Stephen Hawking Film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 03 Jan 2015
Went to see it last night. Quite a few in the audience; although several(half a dozen) got up and walked out never to return. I can only assume they were not into high level physics
 Mark Kemball 03 Jan 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Saw it a few days ago, I was rather disappointed - too much romance, not much physics.
OP mypyrex 03 Jan 2015
In reply to Mark Kemball:

> not much physics.
But maybe too much for some audiences

marsbar 03 Jan 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

So would you recommend it? I have some physics but not at his level!
 sbc_10 03 Jan 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

<nerd alert>

Well they say in Physics that every couple has its moment.
OP mypyrex 03 Jan 2015
In reply to marsbar:
I did enjoy it but I think, physics apart, it might be a bit high brow for(sorry to say it) the "average" cinema audience and there is quite a bit of romance in it but there again due to circumstances Hawking's marriages have not been straightforward. My comment about "average" audience relates to it not being the sort of film that many people would go out of their way to watch, it's not an "edge of your seat, nail biting drama".
Eddie Redmayne's portrayal of Hawking was, I thought, quite remarkable, it must have taken a hell of a lot of skill and effort to mimic Hawking's contorted face and body and I remain convinced at what an amazing person Hawking is.
Post edited at 16:47
OP mypyrex 03 Jan 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

> <nerd alert>

> Well they say in Physics that every couple has its moment.

I suggest you get your coat.
 ClimberPentir 03 Jan 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Just seen it - great film with great acting. Not a science documentary though
OP mypyrex 03 Jan 2015
In reply to ClimberPentir:

> Not a science documentary though
Not intended to be surely

In reply to mypyrex:

> My comment about "average" audience relates to it not being the sort of film that many people would go out of their way to watch, it's not an "edge of your seat, nail biting drama".

The walk-outs presumably assumed the film would concentrate on Hawking's youthful passion for cage-fighting, or the sabbatical he spent working as an assassin; the focus on his less well-known life as a physicist with MS must have come as a horrible shock.
OP mypyrex 03 Jan 2015
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

> The walk-outs presumably assumed the film would concentrate on Hawking's youthful passion for cage-fighting, or the sabbatical he spent working as an assassin; the focus on his less well-known life as a physicist with MS must have come as a horrible shock.

Must admit I did wonder
In reply to mypyrex:

I'm waiting for the American version, it'll have better car chase sequences, and more explosions.
OP mypyrex 03 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

> I'm waiting for the American version, it'll have better car chase sequences, and more explosions.

Who will play Hawking?
In reply to mypyrex:

FFS, there's only one contender!!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000216/
 Kimono 04 Jan 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

MS?

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or ALS actually.

Looking forward to seeing it myself
 dale1968 04 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

MND in uk ALS in USA, From PPMS type person
 paul mitchell 15 Jan 2015
In reply to dale1968:

Wasn't the Big Bang when Mr Dunne first jumped onto a bouldering mat,spreading subatomic particles across the universe at greater than light speed?!
 stp 21 Jan 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Saw it and the cinema was fairly full and no one walked out. The acting was great I thought. It very much was about his personal life and dealing with motor neuron disease, relationships etc. If they walked out I think it would be more down to there not being enough physics rather than too much.
 Co1in H 21 Jan 2015
In reply to stp:

Saw it last night. Excellent film.
 Rob Davies 26 Jan 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Those walking out were probably Big Bang Theory fans disappointed by the lack of science. I've only seen a trailer and it seemed so corny (the music, for example - do they get computers to churn it out?) that I haven't bothered to go and see it.
 Tom Last 26 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

> FFS, there's only one contender!!

Oh give over, it has to be...

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0252961/
 Philip 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

I'm not sure of this recent trend to produce biopics of people still alive. It seems a little rude, almost suggestive of their meaningful life being over, but also a bit risky - imagine if they'd made one of Jimmy Saville!
 Robert Durran 26 Jan 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Saw it yesterday and thought it was really, really good, succeeding in never goingo ver the line into naffness. Extraordinary acting. I like physics, but was not at all bothered by how little there was in the film; it didn't need it. I';d highly recommend it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...