UKC

Winter fell/ trail running spikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DR 04 Jan 2015
I'm a fell/ trail runner in the Lakes that wants to keep going high over winter. I know there's not much snow cover at the moment but I had to turn back from one run before Christmas because of snow and ice - so that got me thinking of running spikes.

What are the best out there for running on icy ground in the Lakes? Would something like Kahtoolas just get trashed by stony/ rocky paths? And do they affect your balance? Anyone used the Yaktrax Pro ones with studs and metal spirals? Anyone used the really cheap alternatives on Ebay from China?

All advice welcome...

Davie
 gaw 04 Jan 2015
In reply to DR:

I find orienteering shoes with dobs best. At the moment I'm using inov-8 Oroc 280. Have used these for a number of years and they're OK on snow or ice but also any non-snowy ground.
 Marek 04 Jan 2015
In reply to DR:

An old fashioned approach is to just put some self tapping short screws into the studs of ordinary fell shoes. About 10 in each shoe worked well for me. Clatters a bit on stone and tarmac, but lets you run normally over any snow/ice that's too hard for rubber studs. Sort of a DIY 'O' shoe.
 yorkshireman 05 Jan 2015
In reply to DR:
I've got YakTrax Pro (springs) that I just add to my normal trail shoes - works great on packed snow and ice and they can handle snow free/rocky patches (although I wouldn't want to use them on steep, snow free terrain).

Every winter I think about getting the Salomon Snowcross CS but never get round to it (plenty of snow and ice here to justify it) but I can never find a local stockist to try them on. I think whatever Speedcross will fit should work out as a size so I might order them.

The Innov-8s look good but I like the idea of a built in gaiter for deeper snow (I'd doing a snow race in a ski resort next month - did it last year with normal trail shoes + Yak Trax but was a bit of a faff).
Post edited at 06:55
andymac 05 Jan 2015
In reply to DR:

Inov8 Oroc 340's are good in the ice.

Little metal studs on the soles.

Think they are officially an orienteering shoe ,but they are good on the hill

Bound to be on offer somewhere.think I got them half price.

Maybe try Pete Blands
 Carolyn 05 Jan 2015
In reply to DR:

I like Kathoola microspikes, but I wouldn't want to be wearing them for long stretches of "dry" rocky path. So OK if you're going up to above the snow line (put them on), staying high on a ridge, then dropping back below the snow line (take them off), less so if you're dropping in and out of snow/ice all the time. They are quick to get on and off, so it's not a problem if you're only doing it or or twice.

You might well want a size smaller than they're labelled to stick on fell running shoes - they seem to be sized for bulky boots. As ever, best to try them on what you intend to wear them on.
 digby 05 Jan 2015
In reply to DR:

Kahtoola's are very good, and you can run full tilt on ice without a problem. But you don't really need to wear anything most of the time out running. It's been a while since it was cold enough after wet weather to generate anything you can't avoid. You would definitely takes them off for stony tracks, or they would blunt. They are pretty quick to get on and off. They don't affect your balance but they do make your feet heavier.
The screws in the soles trick I've heard of, and researched getting some. But it appears that the right size - ie short - is only available in the US. I couldn't find anywhere to get them here.
 wbo 05 Jan 2015
In reply to DR:
I have a pair of Asics wintershall with changable spikes but they are essentially a road shoe and so rather heavy.

I've seen but never used the various ice-bugs
 The Potato 05 Jan 2015
In reply to DR:
Ive used yaktrax pro which dont have the spikes or studs, just rubber and chain coils but with the strap over the forefoot to keep it in place, thats worked great on anything thats not too steep.
I have in my possession a pair of chinese version of the microspikes, probably not as well made but to the same design, yet to try them but they feel as solid as my friends microspikes if a tad heavier (not bad for 1/4 the price tho)

Reason I didnt go for the yak trax run version is that Id get annoyed with the studs on hard ground whereas the standard version is fine for running on rocks and road without significant wear.
Post edited at 22:02
 Marek 06 Jan 2015
In reply to digby:

> The screws in the soles trick I've heard of, and researched getting some. But it appears that the right size - ie short - is only available in the US. I couldn't find anywhere to get them here.

Got mine from B&Q as far as I can remember (it been a while).
 Bluebird 06 Jan 2015
In reply to DR:

+1 for orocs fell shoe with dobs, excellent in snow and on ice.
OP DR 06 Jan 2015
In reply to DR:

Cheers for all the replies. I'd never heard of the Orocs and if I could get 'em cheap I'd give them a go. Otherwise I might try some of the cheaper Chinese versions. Don't really want to pay £40 plus for Kahtoolas...

Davie
raasay 06 Jan 2015
In reply to DR:

Hi Davie,
I have a pair of Inov8 Oroc 340, uk size 8, only worn a couple of times (too big) for sale.
£30 plus postage, if interested.
 planetmarshall 06 Jan 2015
In reply to gaw:

> At the moment I'm using inov-8 Oroc 280.

These are really good, but they are a pain if the terrain is mixed with a substantial part on tarmac - not sure if there's a good solution to that though, beyond carrying a set of micro-spikes and wearing standard trail shoes.
 Wry Spudding 06 Jan 2015
In reply to raasay:

I'm interested in these, I've sent you a message. Thanks.
 Banned User 77 06 Jan 2015
In reply to DR:

Just get a ski mountaineering axe... I ran all year in snowdonia for years and the axe was the most used bif of kit by a country mile..
OP DR 09 Jan 2015
In reply to raasay:

Hi there, sorry for not replying sooner. Cheers for the offer mate - I would have gone for it if they were the right size but just too small.

Cheers
Davie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...