UKC

Recommend me a midlayer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 06 Jan 2015
I’m off to Alaska this year and have decided I want to beef up my midlayer from my standard polartec fleece and was wondering if anyone could give me any recommendations?
I think I want one of these new-fangled looking hybrid tops with in synthetic insulation on the front and back and fleece for the arms (I’m not so interested in down as it’s so hard to keep dry on muti-day things). I’ll probably were it under a beefier softshell/hard-shell whilst climbing/in bad weather so I don’t want a full on insulated jacket. It also must have a hood, there doesn’t seem to be a huge range of these, the only ones I can really find are the new Jottnar ones and I think Sherpa also do one (but only in black – booo). Anyone know of any other good ones, or can reccomend one of these?

Thanks
Tom
 timmeehhhh 06 Jan 2015
In reply to ebdon:

Have a look at these:

Arc'teryx Atom lt hoody
Patagonia Nano Air jacket
Rab Strata hoody

Alpenglow 06 Jan 2015
In reply to ebdon:

Are you tall and slim or more average sized?
I have a haglofs rando barrier which fits me really well in M (I'm 6' and 70kg). It has synthetic insulation on the front upper arms and hood, leaving the back and underarms with fleece for breathability. I've also heard good things about Marmot Varient and Alpinist.

Montane do the Alpha guide, patagonia do the nano puff hybrid and if you want a synthetic jacket with breathable underarm panels check out the Arc'teryx Atom LT, Outdoor research cathode, Rab Strata and Black Diamond access hybrid hoody.
 dek 06 Jan 2015
In reply to ebdon:
Lots of insulation info for Alaska climbing/alpinism in cold weather
, on the cold thistle blog.

http://coldthistle.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/synthetic-insulation-60g-to-100g....
 iksander 06 Jan 2015
In reply to ebdon:

Also TNF Thermoball Hybrid Hoodie and Berghaus Ignite Hybrid (£60!)
OP ebdon 06 Jan 2015
In reply to ebdon:

Thanks UKC - that's exactly what i was looking for the Hagloffs and Berghaus ones look good and very affordable - the marmot ones look good as well but i can’t find any on sale with hoods. That blog is also excellent.
 TobyA 06 Jan 2015
In reply to ebdon:

I've put my review of the Jöttnar Alfar up on my blog: http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/the-jottnar-alfar-review.ht... hope it's of some help.
 BnB 06 Jan 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Nice review Toby. Especially the revelation concerning the twist put into the sleeve to obviate the formation of pressure points under the seam. Those marines must be dainty fellows to be so concerned.

I can see how this would be a very comfortable item in dry conditions over a lightweight base or mesh tee. However, I'm still not convinced that a combination of R1/ME Eclipse with an Atom LT gilet or Rab Strata vest doesn't provide more flexibility when the shell has to go on. You can then ditch the vest to allow your core to breathe when working hard in claggy conditions, or leave it on if relatively immobile and cold.
 berna 07 Jan 2015
In reply to ebdon:

have you considered the Marmot variant? I've got it without a hood but I think it comes with one as well. the front is insulated with primaloft and the back and arms are polartec. Sizes run quite small I found in case this is of any help
 Bluebird 07 Jan 2015
In reply to berna:

I've got the Sherpa and the variant. Enjoy using both. Size does run a little smaller on the variant, great on the walk in on top of a base layer when cold; yet to use he Sherpa in anger (xmas present)
Climber Phil 07 Jan 2015
In reply to ebdon:

Rab strata flex jacket. Alpha primaloft insulation. Wind proof, dwr but really breathe able too
OP ebdon 07 Jan 2015
In reply to Ice Jedi:

Alas no hood! and the strata hoody looks too big for what i really want - I like the synthetic vest over fleece combo idea, I had sort of discounted this as i was trying to keep my layering simple but i guess the weight wouldn’t be too much more. Has anyone done this is cold environments? Do you get a draught between the two layers if not wearing a shell over the top and does it reduce breathability?
 BnB 07 Jan 2015
In reply to Ice Jedi:

> Rab strata flex jacket. Alpha primaloft insulation. Wind proof, dwr but really breathe able too

Yes. My my Strata Hoody is great, but the insulated sleeves aren't mesh lined and they can get a bit hot and prickly around the inner arm, to which the Flex hybrid must be a developmental response. It'll breathe in just the right places. I'm sure you're really pleased with it. I would be. But why don't they make one with a hood?
Climber Phil 07 Jan 2015
In reply to BnB:
It's strange they don't make the flex with a hood isn't it. I thought about the strata hoody but went with the flex purely for that reason of being more breathable.
 BnB 07 Jan 2015
In reply to Ice Jedi:

I guess they felt it should be more minimalist to compensate for the detailing on the arms. And there are plenty of times when I'm glad of the all-round insulation as well as the hood. It's just that when you start to feel hot, it's exactly where they've replaced the fabric, so well done Rab.

In addition, non-hooded jackets hang better in the shop window and I understand this is a major influence on shops' buyers and hence garment designers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...