UKC

Over under coil for ropes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Keiran.A 06 Jan 2015
Been using this coil at work a while now. Great for cables and hoses large and small although I'm still getting used to it.

Does anyone make good use of it for their rope at any time; climbing, mountaineering, alpine coil, chest raps? Interested to know.k
 Billhook 07 Jan 2015
In reply to Keiran.A:

Keiran have you tried it on climbing rope? What advantages does this technique have over lap coiling for example?
OP Keiran.A 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:
Only on my 10m rigging rope wich I usualy alp coil anyway and a chest coil for shits and gigs.

Alp coil gives you a fat rope hoop you can throw around you or body of your pack and take off with out having to untie anything. It's also dead simple but spooling rope off courses twists so you need to unwind it.

Over under coil isn't as simple but would give all the over above advantages without the spooling issue.

Havn't done it enough to say weather you could belay stright off the coil without hold ups but it could be a possibility.
 GridNorth 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Keiran.A:

I use this method: youtube.com/watch?v=_El020BNuUg&

It takes a little longer than the standard butterfly method but has the advantage that you can just lay it down and start climbing as the rope comes off the top.
OP Keiran.A 08 Jan 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

me too but i say to myself "straight on the way up, cross on the way down."k
 andrewmc 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Keiran.A:

Same thing (with backpack straps by tieing off with both ends), picked it up from the David Coley/Andy Kirkpatrick ebook.
OP Keiran.A 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Keiran.A:
Here's a video of how to over/under
youtube.com/watch?v=-74OEVUOKOw&
as a hand coil it could have benifets for confidence roping as well.

If I get time to play with it [phrasing] I'll let you'll know how I get on but I would like to know if anyone's had experience using this with their rope.k

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...