UKC

Mont Blanc Solo - Crevasses?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian.Hogg 07 Jan 2015
Looking for an understanding of the crevasse situation from a solo perspective, from anyone who knows or has done the standard route over the Dome de Gouter and Plateau , specifically in summer from mid July to late August, particulalry in 2014.

Thanks.
 OwenM 07 Jan 2015
In reply to ianghogg:

No one really knows, just because someone did it last summer and got away with it doesn't mean that there aren't any crevasses. Glaciers move all the time crevasses open and close all the time snow bridges form and collapse all the time, it's a very dynamic environment.
 butteredfrog 07 Jan 2015
In reply to ianghogg:

As Owen says, last time I did that route was at the end of September 2013, and didn't cross a single crevasse. Back in 1997 however.......

Adam
 Solaris 07 Jan 2015
In reply to butteredfrog:

> ... didn't cross a single crevasse.

Or, "didn't see a single crevasse"? Or, "wasn't aware of crossing a single crevasse"?

butteredfrog 07 Jan 2015
In reply to Solaris:

Fair point, I am pretty cautious when it comes to crevasses, since falling in one many years ago!

2013 was particularly crevasse free on the Goutier route.

Adam
 Webster 07 Jan 2015
In reply to ianghogg:

Did it solo september 2014 (just about counts as summer season still...). the goutier route is probably the safest to solo from a crevasse point of view. its such a well troden route that as long as you dont stray from the path you should be fine. saying that it only take 1 person to fall through a previously solid snow bridge into a hidden crevasse! it was slightly scary on the way back down seeing how close the track goes to some monster crevasses with the benefit of daylight!

so in summary: soloable - yes
safe - depends on where your opinion of safe lies
advisable - yes to a competant and experienced mountaineer who is willing to turn back if the risks become too high.

of course the temperatures were well below freezing and there had been allot of snow that season when i did it, every time will be diferent though.
 Gawyllie 07 Jan 2015
In reply to ianghogg:

I solo'd the gouter route the beginning of august 2014 and don't remember passing any crevasses

there was a lot of snow out there at that time though and I also didnt notice any stonefall down the Grand Couloir

on another note if you actually want most of the route to yourself considering timing it with clear skies and a strong moonlight. I had it to myself from the Tete Rouse to the Vallot in the very early hours and it was superb. its a nice route but it is very very busy during late morning and the day
 Solaris 09 Jan 2015
In reply to butteredfrog:

I imagined you knew what you meant; I was principally hoping to make a point to the OP.
 MG 09 Jan 2015
In reply to ianghogg:
Is this tunnel built yet? Otherwise, I'd be more concerned about stonefall in the great couloir
Post edited at 22:55
 lowersharpnose 09 Jan 2015
In reply to MG:

Surely the stone fall is the same if you are solo or with a partner?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...