UKC

Super short ice-screws?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Anyone have experience of using ice screws shorter than 10cm?
Mainly intereated if they are useful for Scottish routes around grade VI-VII. Also curious if there any options other than the E-Climb KLAU size 0 (6cm) or getting existing screws cut down via www.icescrewsharpening.com in the US?
Post edited at 23:08
 Graham 08 Jan 2015
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

I have used super-stubbies - only in the US though. I can't say they were confidence inspiring - but nothing in ice that thin is going to make you feel all cozy inside. They placed just as well as longer screws - whoever made them did a very good job. The ones I used were cut down from BD screws. If I still lived in upstate NY (where we get a lot of thin but well bonded ice) I'd probably have one on my rack.
 Climber_Bill 08 Jan 2015
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

I used a few stubbies on the Orion Face and Zero Gully. I think they were no more than 6 cm in length. My climbing partner had brought them back from the States, though can't remember the make.

On the thinner sections I used them on I thought they were OK and using them meant not having to tie off longer screws. There was always the thought, "Well at least they'll slow me down a bit". They are best treated as marginal gear, just like any other marginal gear.

I would definitely use them again and carry 2 or 3 along with a standard ice rack.

Cheers,

Rich.
In reply to Richard and Graham: Many thanks guys, you've answered my first question and confirmed my suspicion that it would be sensible to add a couple to my rack.
I now just need to work out how to get hold of some...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...