UKC

Waterproof jacket for Scottish winter hillwalking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fimm 08 Jan 2015

My current winter jacket must be 8 or 9 years old and I really need to get a new one. However it has (obviously) been a while since I looked into this and I'm just after a bit of advice and/or reviews - whether of a specific jacket you own or any comparison reviews (I have done some Googling but have not found as much as I'd hoped for).

I have a lighter jacket for summer but having worn it in snow and wind last weekend I just don't think it is warm enough for full-on winter conditions.

So, this jacket will be for winter walking but not climbing, in Scotland, in whatever weather Scotland can throw at me. I'm looking for a hardshell waterproof. I want to feel well insulated from the weather in it - this was my issue with the lighter jacket I was wearing at the weekend, and I'm not sure how to know whether a jacket will be warm enough.

It does not need to be lightweight, on the contrary, robustness is good.

Although I am female, it does not need to be female-specific - the old jacket is a man's one & I'm of a size and shape that men's jackets usually fit OK.

Any thoughts? Please help!
Post edited at 13:05
 Siward 08 Jan 2015
In reply to fimm:

Depends on budget and whether you want a particular type of fabric but the Keela Munro jacket always gets good write ups as a solid, on the warm side, winter jacket.

Personally I like Paramo for winter.
In reply to fimm:

I have been very impressed with my tailor-made Cioch trousers so my next winter jacket will be Cioch or Paramo.

http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/waterproofs/nikwax.html
 Jim Braid 08 Jan 2015
In reply to fimm:

I've had a Paramo Alta jacket since February 2008 and it is by far and away the best winter hillwalking jacket I have ever had. Robust and has been washed and re-proofed regularly so is still as good as new. It's warm and if need be you can ventilate through upper arm zips. Most of my walking is in the Cairngorms and the jacket has been very thoroughly tested in winter conditions.
 Bluebird 09 Jan 2015
In reply to fimm:

ME Morpheus jacket is perfect for this role. I bought this over the Tupilak. Love everything about it. Have got a Rab Neo Guide for easier conditions.
OP fimm 14 Jan 2015
In reply to fimm:

Thank you for the replies.
 Solaris 14 Jan 2015
In reply to fimm:

Another vote for Paramo.
 Doug 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Solaris:

For Scottish conditions, I find pile & pertex (Buffalo, Montane) at least as good as fleece and goretex, especially for day trips where you can dry stuff overnight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...