UKC

Strava not recognising my Garmin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kimono 08 Jan 2015
I have often had problems uploading to Strava from my Garmin, both Edge 200 that i had before and now my 500.
Until today it was mostly working but with the occasional glitch when it couldn't find the Garmin. But in the end after a few attempts it would connect.

Today, after many attempts, turning both Garmin and laptop off and on etc etc, it just won't find it and suggests that i Install the Garmin Communicator plugin....which when i try just tells me that i already have the latest version.

Aargh!!

Any advice?
 the power 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Can you open you garmin copy the gpx file then manually upload it to strava?
 andy 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

> Any advice?

upload to Garmin Connect and that will then auto upload to Strava - works consistently for me.
OP Kimono 08 Jan 2015
In reply to the power:

yes! just did that. But its a bit of a pita and i want to know why
 Indy 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

When you say uploading to Strava do you mean Uploading to Garmin connect which links to your Strava account?

If so the Garmin Connects Status Page has been saying that for most of the day 3rd party uploading wasn't working along with a few other features. Saying that it is now working.
 ablackett 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

I had the same thing tonight, it just kept asking me to install the Garmin communicator plugin, I don't have a Garmin connect account.

I guess they will fix it soon.
In reply to ablackett:

I've also had the same problem tonight. You can click to manually upload it and find the activity on your device if you want (it's in the Activities folder in the Garmin), or I'd guess that Strava will have it sorted soon. The Garmin connect website has a message saying they are experiencing problems at the moment, so maybe that's affecting the plugin too...no idea really.
OP Kimono 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

ah ok, not just me then

That said, its always a little buggy, and can take a few goes to find it
 mbh 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

I was stymied all evening tonight in uploading this afternoon's run.

It only worked when I finally resorted to daring to install Windows 7 on my machine (flawless -what was I worrying about?), and then installed Garmin Express, which seems to be the new version of the Ant thing. Then I used that to upload the run, and it just appeared in Strava. Phew! Before tonight, I hadn't normally had any difficulty, and all now now seems fine again.
 Banned User 77 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Mine is now working but when I switched to Garmin Express it was awful and still isnt great.. but touch wood the last 2 days have been better.

Garmin Express is worth using but it seems full of bugs..
In reply to Kimono:
I have the same Strava problem using Win 8.1 but, as others have said, you can easily get round it by selecting to import the activity directly to Strava from a file on the Garmin devicerather than using Garmin Connect. The files you want are the .fit files in the Garmin Activities folder on the Garmin device. The relevant ones can be selected and uploaded. Strava then parses them automatically as normal. I find this works just as easily as the automatic upload provided the pc has recognised the Garmin before I enter Strava (recognition not always 100%: possibly a dirty connector issue, usually fixed by taking the connector out of the Garmin and blowing on the socket a few times).
Post edited at 20:01
In reply to the power:

> Can you open you garmin copy the gpx file then manually upload it to strava?

Yes but the files you upload are .fit files not .gpx.
 mbh 21 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

My Garmin has uploaded without a hitch since I installed W7/Garmin Express. As soon as the watch gets in range of the ANT stick the run uploads both to Garmin Connect and to Strava, normally within less than five minutes [once it took longer - I don't know why, but it worked in the end] , without me having to do anything.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...