UKC

Recommend a good book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Can anybody recommend me a good book?

I love Bernard Cornwell, in particular the Warrior Chronicles and Sharpe. My last book was called A Name In Blood by Matt Rees. This was ok but felt a bit of a chore at times. However I do enjoy fictional books based on real life historical events.
 RockSteady 09 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

Have you read Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles? In my opinion they are (by far) his best work.

Other good historical novels: Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series is fantastic. The Flashman novels by George Macdonald-Fraser are some of my all time favourites.
 Doug 09 Jan 2015
In reply to RockSteady:

best book I've read recently was John Porter's 'One day as a tiger'
In reply to RockSteady:

Are they about King Arthur? I will have a look at those, I was about to tackle the Starbuck Chronicles.
 RockSteady 09 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:
Yes, the Warlord Chronicles are loosely based around the Arthur legends and try to put him into a kind of historical context. I absolutely love them - some of my favourite novels of all.

With the Warrior Chronicles Cornwell is sort of rehashing the stuff he did in the Warlord Chronicles a long time ago. As such you might find them similar.
Post edited at 15:09
 iccle_bully 09 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

However I do enjoy fictional books based on real life historical events.

The book thief is the most amazing book and is only just pipped to the post of my favourite book by the poison wood Bible.
 TClimb 09 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554: I will second The Book Thefe, fantastic. I am reading the Uthred centred Bernard Cornwell books at the minute and loving them
 Tom Valentine 10 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

Just finished "The Power of the Dog" by Don Semley.
It's an epic novel, a world away from Cornwell, yet I'm prepared to accept that most of it is close to the truth, unfortunately.
 Tom Valentine 10 Jan 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Don Winslow
 Yanis Nayu 10 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

What about CJ Sansom's books, especially the Shardlake series?
 blurty 10 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:
Try the Aubrey - Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian - the Rolls Royce of historical fiction I think.
Post edited at 16:17
In reply to TClimb:

> I will second The Book Thefe, fantastic. I am reading the Uthred centred Bernard Cornwell books at the minute and loving them

I loved them all too, could not put it down. And when I grow up, I want to be a Viking like Uhtred!
In reply to Malcolm Tucker's Sweary Aunt:

+1 for CJ Samson....I have only read the first two Shardlakes, but really enjoyed them.
 paul mitchell 15 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

Grapes of Wrath,Steinbeck.The UK is heading in that direction now.Also,The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.Minimum wage nightmare in US.
 Owen W-G 15 Jan 2015
Not sure if it fits the bill as non-fiction but An Evil Cradling is the most powerful book I've ever read. Could not put it down. Stunning.
 Motown 15 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

In reply to markh554:

Best piece of fiction I read in 2014 was Stoner by John Williams. the somewhat tragic life of William Stoner, an English lecturer in Missouri. Beautifully written. The most addictive thing I've read in years.

I'm half way through an good book called Savage Continent about Europe in the aftermath of the Second World War. The complete anarchy is pretty harrowing. I lived in Poland for a few years and I met a girlfriend's great uncle who had made his way from the Ukraine to Southern Poland between 1944 and 1946. The reality of that journey has been constantly in my mind when reading this.

Definitely read the Warlord Chronicles - they're great fun. Sleazy Lancelot, cool Merlin and ridiculous Arthur in his shiny armour and on his white horse.

Steinbeck is another good recommendation from this list. I reckon East of Eden is better than Grapes of Wrath - Cathy is such a dark character. Cannery Row is another good one; life affirming in the characters' sense of fun.

Bukowski - read it. Post Office and Ham on Rye are a good start. THe Most Beautiful Woman in Town has some cracking shorts stories. Only he can make such filth beautiful.
 Mike C 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

> Not sure if it fits the bill as non-fiction but An Evil Cradling is the most powerful book I've ever read. Could not put it down. Stunning.

Doesn't really match his requirements at all, but I can't help agree with your most powerful book ever. Not for the squeamish however.

For an original recommendation, Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind might be an interesting crossover between your historical fiction & more modern fiction/fantasy mix.
 pneame 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Motown:

> I'm half way through an good book called Savage Continent about Europe in the aftermath of the Second World War. The complete anarchy is pretty harrowing. I lived in Poland for a few years and I met a girlfriend's great uncle who had made his way from the Ukraine to Southern Poland between 1944 and 1946. The reality of that journey has been constantly in my mind when reading this.

I'm just reading the Amazon "Look Inside" for this - it's horrifying and really hard for those of us living in civilized places to imagine - "medieval Europe living in the ruins of the 20th century". I may have to add that to my reading list for when I'm feeling too cheerful!
 Motown 16 Jan 2015
In reply to pneame:

Can you give me a bit more detail about this one please? Author etc. Sounds interesting.

> I'm just reading the Amazon "Look Inside" for this - it's horrifying and really hard for those of us living in civilized places to imagine - "medieval Europe living in the ruins of the 20th century". I may have to add that to my reading list for when I'm feeling too cheerful!

pneame 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Motown:

I was replying to your comment on Savage Continent!
The look inside refers to amazon's feature that lets you read a bit of the book, as if you were browsing in a bookstore.
Sorry I was a bit ambiguous....
Fidman 16 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

I recently read Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman. It deals with Russia during the war and in particular Stalingrad. If you have seen Enemy at the Gate the journalist with the glasses was loosely based on Grossman who was a front line journalist. It is pretty harrowing at times, don't be put off by the length (800pages)
 pneame 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Fidman:

Along those lines, A Writer At War is also good - it's a compendium of his notebooks edited by Antony Beevor and Luba Vinogradova. Vasily Grossman certainly could write well.
 Chris Sansum 16 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

Hawk Quest by Robert Lyndon (and the sequels).
Another vote for my (almost) namesake CJ Sansom (I am CJ Sansum!) and his Shardlake series.
Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell.
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett and World Without End
Simon Scarrow's Roman legion novels ("The Eagle" series)
Also currently enjoying Ken Follett's series set around the historical events of the 20th century - Fall of Giants is the first one.

The Sharpe books are great.
 Motown 17 Jan 2015
In reply to pneame:

No problem.
> I was replying to your comment on Savage Continent!

> The look inside refers to amazon's feature that lets you read a bit of the book, as if you were browsing in a bookstore.

> Sorry I was a bit ambiguous....

>

Yanis Nayu 17 Jan 2015
In reply to Fidman:

Life and Fate is the best book I've ever read. I didn't really enjoy the style of Writer at War though.
Removed User 17 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

Of historical novels, Wolf Hall must be right up at the top of the list. But will the tv adaptation, starting this Wednesday BBC2, do it justice?
 Yanis Nayu 17 Jan 2015
In reply to Removed UserJohn Willson:

I enjoyed Wolf Hall, but a lot of people, my wife included, don't get on with the writing style.
 Bobling 17 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:
More fantasy than historical fiction but my OH and I have recently enjoyed the Joe Abercrombie series "The First Law", amusing, earthy and full of great characters including the infamous "Bloody Nine". Thoroughly recommended. On that theme the Game of Thrones series is really good if you have not read it.

As others have said the Aubrey Maturin series is about as good as it gets for historical fiction but many are turned off by the technical details of Napoleonic sea-faring but I found you could mostly just let these wash over you and after a couple of books you get the hang of it, especially with Stephen along to ask stupid questions "So tell me again brother, what is this weather gauge you sailors set so much importance by?". I think I have now read the lot three times and they are really superb.

I've recently picked up M.Scott's "The Emperor's Spy" after a long absence from Rome based fiction and am enjoying it though at some points suspension of disbelief is stretched - characters having a long heart to heart in the midst of a blazing inferno. On that note Robert Graves "I, Claudius" is the gold standard for historical fiction though less hacky, hacky and more plotty, plotty. I couldn't get on with Simon Scarrow but it was a while back, maybe I'll try again.

Also agree with others about the Warlord Chronicles, I remember these as being absolutely brilliant and have tried to restart them several times but can't get past that first few chapters with a one handed monk in a monastery. This thread has inspired me to try again!

Going out on a limb Sven Hassell's stuff it enjoyable if you have a strong stomach for wanton death and destruction. A product of the times though and reflect quite how cheap life was in the last days of the third reich. For the others on this thread who've expressed an interest in the Eastern Front Guy Sajer's The Forgotten Soldier is utterly compelling.

Where's Trangia?
Post edited at 23:22
 nickh1964 19 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

Cormac McCarthy............pretty much anything by him, the border trilogy (All the pretty horses etc) and Blood Meridian are outstanding.

The untouchable by John Banville left a big impression on me.
The Le Carre Smiley books are a great read.

If you dont mind his writing style Ellmore's American trilogy is very well done.
 Fraser 19 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

The 'Shardlake' series by C J Sansom is great. I've read the first 5 and the 6th, which is just released, is supposed to be well up to par.

http://www.cjsansom.com/Shardlake

The first book, 'Dissolution', is unfortunately, probably the least strong IMO, but is still very enjoyable.
 Siward 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Bobling:

As a sort of Aubrey Maturin lite, have a look at the Hornblower novels. All jolly jack tars and the cat.
In reply to markh554: Try the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb, not based on real events but set in medieval times and a cracking good read.

Tom Valentine 19 Jan 2015
In reply to nickh1964:

> If you dont mind his writing style Ellmore's American trilogy is very well done.

You've got me all confused.

Isn't American Trilogy Philip Roth?

I reckon you mean James Ellroy's USA Trilogy.

Unless Elmore Leonard has knocked out a trilogy?

Dr.S at work 19 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

I think you might try some rosemary sutcliff - The Eagle of the Ninth, The Silver Branch, Dawn Wind, The Lantern Bearers - some really good Romano-British stuff there.

The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson for some solid viking action.
 nickh1964 20 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

I meant C J Ellmores books, American Tabloid, The cool six thousand and Bloods a rover which form a trilogy, sorry for the confusion.
Roth is good too, BTW.
 Tom Valentine 20 Jan 2015
In reply to nickh1964:

Not wishing to labour a point but his name is James Ellroy, I think.
 full stottie 20 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

Dorothy Dunnett - The Lymond Saga (5 books) and House of Niccolo series (7 or 8 books?) are set against historical detail in respectively the 16th and 15th Centuries. Both series span Europe, North Africa and the Middle East and are inhabited by a cast of complex characters who feel as if they belong to their time - no corny 21st century dialogue here (unlike Simon Scarrow's Roman novels, though they are fun). For me Dunnett is up there with Patrick O'Brien as the among the best of historical fiction writers around today.

For something a bit different - Michael Moorcock's Colonel Pyat Quartet was an intriguing, quirky and challenging read, set in the early 20th Century and a far cry from Moorcock's beginnings as a sword and fantasy writer.

Dave
 Hat Dude 20 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

Have you read any of Allan Mallinson's Matthew Hervey novels, similar to the Sharpe books but a bit better written imo.
In reply to markh554:

Plenty to have a go at...
Before checking some of the recommendations, I went for Cornwell's The Fort.
One of the best books that I ever read was Fatherland by Robert Harris.
 Tom Valentine 20 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

Fatherland is excellent, as is the similarly themed "what if" SS-GB by Len Deighton. Unfortunately CJ Sansom's offering in the genre, Dominion, is very put downable.
 Hat Dude 20 Jan 2015

Unfortunately CJ Sansom's offering in the genre, Dominion, is very put downable.

I'd agree, I was very disappointed with this; "Winter In Madrid" is however very good

goose299 20 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

Magician by Raymond Feist. Part of a trilogy
 Bobling 20 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

This thread has got me thinking about some Viking books I read when I was young. I can't remember the name of them though - all I *think* I remember are that there are perhaps three of them and at one point the Vikings end up as body guards in a Byzantine (or Mogolian? Eastern anyway) court, I suspect they were aimed at children but am not sure about that. Was Eric the Red involved or is am I inserting that after the event? Sorry this is not much to go on - any suggestions?
 SNC 21 Jan 2015
In reply to Bobling:

That jogged my memory. Henry Treece: Viking's Dawn; The Road to Miklagard; Viking's Sunset. Miklagard is Byzantium. Many many years since I read those (misty, far away look in eye - life was so much simpler when you were 12 or whatever ....)
 Bobling 21 Jan 2015
In reply to SNC:

Fantastic - thank you so very much! I'll look forward to reading this with my own kids. UKC you are truly amazing.
 nickh1964 21 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

Yes the Treece books are excellent, I too loved them as a child.
Yes its James Ellmore, relying on memory to post is not a good idea.
Winter in Madrid a fine read, would like to see more of that genre from him. Dominion is a bit weak, shame really but we can all have an off day.
 Bobling 23 Jan 2015
In reply to SNC:

Now I am thinking about it (and also inspired by listening to an episode of in our time about the Battle of Stamford Bridge) I've got another vague historical fiction children's book memory I'd like to unearth. This one is about 1066 and covers Stamford Bridge and Hastings, and I think is written from the viewpoint of one of Harold's Huscarls. Can UKC work the hive mind magic for a second time?

Apologies for thread hijack.
 Co1in H 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Hat Dude:

Another vote for Mallinson/Hervey. I read the lot back to back and was well impressed.
 Bulls Crack 26 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

I'm enjoying Past Caring by Robert Goddard - revolves around a fictional cabinet minister in Askwith's government - reasaons for his fall from grace, the suffragette movement etc
 Andy Morley 26 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

Erskine Childers 'The Riddle of the Sands'
 Hat Dude 26 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

"The Plot Against America" by Philip Roth is very good; a similar theme to "Fatherland" & "Dominion" but set in America.

The plot is basically that in the presidential election of 1940, Roosevelt was defeated and Charles Lindbergh elected as president.
 Andy Morley 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Hat Dude:

Philip Roth is OK but read too much of him and you might end up with Portnoy's Complaint...
 Tom Valentine 26 Jan 2015
In reply to nickh1964:

Two recommendations for Winter in Madrid was enough. Am already well into it and enjoying it, even though I'm pretty ignorant about the Spanish civil war.
 Yanis Nayu 26 Jan 2015

> Two recommendations for Winter in Madrid was enough. Am already well into it and enjoying it, even though I'm pretty ignorant about the Spanish civil war.

I enjoyed that one.
 pneame 02 Feb 2015
In reply to markh554:
Just read "Neverhome" by Laird Hunt based on a review in the Economist- lovely book (although quite tragic and poignant) - set in the American Civil War. Anyone who has liked "Cold Mountain" should enjoy it.
Post edited at 17:21
 Sean Kelly 02 Feb 2015
In reply to pneame:

> Along those lines, A Writer At War is also good - it's a compendium of his notebooks edited by Antony Beevor and Luba Vinogradova. Vasily Grossman certainly could write well.

It seems almoist unbelievable that as another Russian army was about to be surrounded he just got away. A really good read especially the first half of the book which deals with the collapse of the Russian Front, in a war of movement, as opposed to the attrition of Stalingrad.
 pneame 04 Feb 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

He had a fantastic gift for describing the detail and the people. Still a horrific story and made even more horrific by the post-war chaos (Savage Continent by Keith Lowe as recommended by Motown above).
 Bulls Crack 07 Feb 2015
In reply to SNC:

Fabulous books. Missed them as a child then found and read them on a wet week on Lundy!
 coinneach 07 Feb 2015
In reply to markh554:
George MacDonald Fraser's "Flashman" series.

Brilliant!
 Tom Valentine 09 Feb 2015
In reply to nickh1964:

Not finished Winter in Madrid yet because I found American Tabloid on a market stall (£2) and opened it up. Howling with laughter at some of the language.
CJ's on the back burner, I'm afraid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...